IGNORED

*THIS SATURDAY*- Sept 11th....2021 (unofficial) Dragon Slayer Pre-Ride

CBaron

Hello all,

I say its time to get this party started again!  

Every year that I've done the Dragon Slayer, I've also led an 'unofficial' Dragon Slayer (2 lap) pre-ride on Labor Day.  So here I am once again planning to jump into the DS this year, so I figured I'd try to keep this tradition going.   Honestly my fitness is not really 2-lap worthy right now.  But whether it be 1 lap or 2, it would still be a nice day of training and trail beta come Monday, September 6th.  

DETAILS:

Time: Monday, 7:45am meet, 8am rollout. 
Place: Russel Park parking lot, Georgetown 
Pace: Steady tempo for 2 clockwise laps

I have cut-n-pasted the info from previous years below and I strongly suggest reading it.  Technically, this is not really a 'group ride'.....but rather an individual ride while with others.  Please come prepared to be self sufficient.  The weather forecast is looking to be unseasonally warm.  Know your limits and ride smart.  All that said, this ride has always been a good day out on the bike.  Its perfectly timed ahead of the DS event (and others EB & Rattler) to learn about yourself, your plan, your fitness, the trail, etc..

If you have any questions or comments feel free to post them up!

See you all on Monday,
-CJB

Last year, I (many of us?) were uncertain about lap times and pacing. I think most of us have that figured out a bit by now. But if you don't, then this could be a good chance for you to work on it. As for myself, I plan to do a steady tempo for the 1st lap, then possibly pick it up a notch (or 2) for the second lap. This is pretty much how it went for the 4 of us in my 'group' last year. That being said, everyone is free to ride this ride how you choose. Below is a cut-n-paste from my 'ride guidance' from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by CBaron View Post
**PLEASE NOTE**

I tried to elude to this in my OP ride call, but I want to restate it again for everyone's benefit. I don't consider this a "group ride" in the traditional sense of the word. I don't plan (for anyone) to wait on people, or hurdle up for a mechanical or group-change flat tires and such. The best way to think of this is as a solo ride, where you'll be leaving with probably 10 other riders. If we happen to set a similar pace then great. If not, no big deal. The comfort and camaraderie here is in partaking in the similar endeavors on Monday, not so much in riding hand-n-hand as a big group. My experience in open ride calls is that we will get a variety of skill levels, a variety of agendas and all sprinkled in with some random mechanicals. Therefore, I just want everyone to be on the same page when we start.

All that being said, if you're interested in (pre) riding the trail on Monday, please come out! Forecast is showing great weather (71* @ 8am) and the chance of rain is fairly low. I'd bet that the trail should be in good shape by that time. And then the most important factor is that its 5 weeks out from the Dragonslayer ride. This makes it a critical window for building fitness in time for that event (which is the main reason I'm going to be out there). Additionally, its always good to get more trail data and bike setup info while out there (the 2nd reason I'll be there). If you have any questions or comments, please post up.

Later,
CJB

Here is a link to the Mojo thread from last year's ride call: Monday Sept 4th: LGT (unofficial) Dragonslayer pre-ride call

Once again, if you have any questions or comments, please post them up. I'm also attaching my Strava file from last year's ride in case anyone is interested.

Strava File from 1st year's 2 lap pre-ride:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1168514299

Thanks
CJB

Edited by CBaron

Yes, there is a fairly big parking lot just outside of the entrance gate.  We usually park towards the right side of the lot (I believe there may be a little culdesac type area).  My usual spot is also CB but the parking is very minimal there.

Cheers,
CJB

I think they want everyone to pay now to access the lake. They changed up the parking lot at Hogg to force you through the gate and blocked off the lot on the way in. It’s actually really easy and you do it all online. If they use the $5 /car to maintain the park, no biggie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is from @DesertNomad recent reply in the previous years thread.  I'm bringing it over here so people can be aware of this route option for tomorrow.

If you look at the photo below, you can see that after the dam there is an option to drop off and circle around to the left.  I believe it drops into some single track and winds around a bit.  Then climbs back up to add some more climbing to the potential lap.  This is part of the 2021 official DS lap.  (I plan to at least ride it on my first lap).  

There is a link to what I believe is Desert Nomad's official(?) DS lap in his quote further below.

59 minutes ago, DesertNomad said:

You will ride across the damn, but then drop down below it so you can get about 400' of extra climbing in because more is better.... See map https://www.strava.com/activities/2907219116?share_sig=27F86B511630855328&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_share at 

If you are coming out tomorrow, start hydrating today.  Its going to be a warm one out there.  Come prepared.  See you all at 7:45am.

Cheers,
CJB

IMG_2667.jpg

FYI- I was glancing through DM Strava route linked above and wanted to mention that I do not plan to go inside the park.  Unless things have changed with the options/availability, I plan to stage outside of the park to the right before you get to the guard gate (as it was in the early years of the event).

I believe on Google maps its called Russel Park Trail Head
https://goo.gl/maps/i2CNHhupWLym2v126

Thanks
CJB

POSTPONED DUE TO WEATHER TO NEXT SATURDAY

My contact who lives really close to Russell Park just texted me saying that its been gently raining for a steady amount of time now.  He feels LGT would be a no-go tomorrow.  Sorry to pull plug so late, but I think its the prudent thing to do.  LETS TRY AGAIN NEXT SATURDAY.

Current radar below

IMG_2671.PNG

LETS TRY THIS AGAIN!!

Same details, just a new day.

DETAILS:

Time: Monday, 7:45am meet, 8am rollout. 

*NOTE* Please make sure to read the original post at the top for details of the ride and its history.  If you have any questions feel free to post them up here also.  Lets hope for better weather this time around.

Later,
CJB

IMG_2646.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome! Glad to see this getting more momentum this time around.  I feel less bad for canceling on Monday now.  

Here is a link to my Strava post, it too is getting some traction.  Looks like we could maybe have 10-15 people possibly.  I know of 2-3 who may be coming and have not posted up.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/6529929/posts/17794487

Cheers,
CJB

68* degree weather at the start of the ride tomorrow!  Come get your ride on!  

Weather has definitely turned a corner and will be much more accommodating to us 2 slappers.  If you've not done 2 laps before (and are contemplating a 3 lap DS), getting this kind of practice under your belt so far out can be very beneficial to your actual DS November game plan.  You'll learn a lot about your nutrition, your fitness, your touch-points(!!), your pacing, etc...

See you all in the morning.

-CJB

• Like 1