IGNORED

Tubeless Maintenance

tomreece

Change your Stan's. Since you just got it and this is cold weather, you're good for 5-6 months. You can tell when you put air in if a little fluid comes out. In the summer put in an ounce or so every month or two. You'll eventually find the sweet spot. Basically it evaporates or dries out.

Also, Pump your tires up to about 40 and spin them before putting your bike away for the first week or two. This help seal the bead on the rim and fills in a little extra goop in areas where you might need it.

Otherwise, generally trouble free.

I switched to Orange Seal as well. so far, I am convinced it's better than the alternatives. I made home brew for a while and found that it was not worth the trouble in the end.

buy a little valve core remover and a plastic syringe to inject more sealant in the tire from time to time. if you don't ride your bike for a while, at least roll the bike around or take a spin around the block once a week so the sealant does not settle in one spot.

Edited by mack_turtle

Can you elaborate on why you think OS is better?  I've knowingly been saved by Stan's 3x during a ride/race.  I'm talking 2-3 revolutions and the squirting stopped and I never had to replace the tire.  The only time Stan's has failed me has been with large slashes  2x (throw away the tire type of slash), or when I haven't re-filled it during the summer.  I tried OS a while back when it was fairly new in the market, and it never sealed a hole.  Could different types of holes respond differently?  Does OS respond better once you pump more air and start rolling again?  The online tests I've seen included different size holes but they didn't ride on the tires after.

Speaking of slashes, I had two sidewall tears in Bentonville. Not ripped through but enough of a cut to let air out.  I put a tube in one, but for the other I took the tire off, cleaned it up on the inside, put on a boot and then put lots of crazy glue on the outside. More than a month later it is still holding. Plan to pull the tube on the second tire and use that same process. Originally I was skeptical of the crazy glue method but it seems to be pretty solid. I am still skeptical of the boot, I believe that the Stans inside the tire will eventually loosen up the boot adhesive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Can you elaborate on why you think OS is better?  I've knowingly been saved by Stan's 3x during a ride/race.  I'm talking 2-3 revolutions and the squirting stopped and I never had to replace the tire.  The only time Stan's has failed me has been with large slashes  2x (throw away the tire type of slash), or when I haven't re-filled it during the summer.  I tried OS a while back when it was fairly new in the market, and it never sealed a hole.  Could different types of holes respond differently?  Does OS respond better once you pump more air and start rolling again?  The online tests I've seen included different size holes but they didn't ride on the tires after.

It seems Stan's has changed it's formula. The new Stan's that I have used no longer balls up in the tire it weeps through the side walls and doesn't seem to be as effective at sealing punctures as OS. I usually know to add sealant when my tires start rapidly losing air between rides, meaning a significant loss of PSI. Went to go for a ride a couple weeks ago and front tire was flat added sealant pumped it up good to go still holding.

To OP
You are lucky it is setup already. Thats the hardest part. After that it is like Cheif says, keep the pressure where you want it.
When it gets too soft and you have to inflate more then just a bit add more sealant.
The hardest part as you'll find is swapping tires.
There are no shortage of videos for any of this.
Getting yourself a valve stem remover and the syringe is worth it. Get them before you need them.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Trust him. It’s Far better. It seals faster and far larger gashes at speed. Basically I just put about 4 ounces in these days and rip it through everything without worry.

I used to have about 2 little seap holes on my HD overnight where the tire was noticeably wet over night. With OS, I have ridden through a field of sticker bushes. I pulled them all out one by one and it sealed instantly.

It’s better at Clotting and creating a more permanent fill on the holes if that makes sense?

Also, it’s local if you care about that kind of thing.

To the original poster.

New tires, I use more stand than recommended because of the initial coating of the tires and the inevitable loss while seating the tire.

Older coated tires I might use 3oz.

If you store your bike in a hot Texas garage, check your level of Stan’s once per month.

Buy yourself a charger pump if you don’t own a compressor.

Buy yourself a valve stem puller if you aren’t able to remove prestas by hand.

Buy yourself some orange seal. You can throw it on top of old stand if you need too. Unfortunately you have to buy the mini orange seal bottle to get the stem hose and valve core clearer. But your life will be better for it.

Buy yourself extra presets cores and put one in your camelbak in case it ever gets so clogged you can’t pump your tires or if you break one while riding( been there).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tin foil hat theory. I too notices stand got much worse and more liquid. Stans came out with Stan’s Race formula. Basically it’s thicker, seals better (so good it will clog your presets.

Could they have adjusted one to make the other seem that much better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Chief said:

I have a syringe but don't use it much this is easier and cheaper. 

https://shop.orangeseal.com/products/endurance-sealant-w-inj-system

Yup. Bought this along with a big refill bottle keep using this to fill up.

OP: Buy some extra valve cores in case one gets clogged with sealant. I've always been able to clean them out eventually but it's something you don't want to miss a ride over.

Honestly I use slime. It's not everyone's favorite but it works and it's cheap. I absolutely hate taking out valve cores. So annoying. I just pop open the side of my tire of the rim and add sealant. Put the tire back on and use my regular 20 dollar pump from Amazon to reseat the bead.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk