IGNORED

Ugh, people

AustinBike

Did a greenbelt ride this morning.

At the creek crossing upstream from 360 there is a group of people standing in the way. At that point there is only really one spot to go and some guy is standing right there. Ring my bell. Looks at me. Doesn’t move. His friends all look at him, tell him to move. Doesn’t move. I tell him he’s standing right in the only passable spot. He doesn’t move. He motions me to come on through. You’re in the only spot I can ride. Doesn’t move. Motions me to come through. I tell him if I do, I will end up knocking him over. Doesn’t move, motions me forward. “If I come forward I will end up knocking you over.” The guy is easily in his 60’s or 70’s. Friends keep telling him to move. I have been standing in place the whole time. Finally moves. Not aggressive, was smiling the whole time.

then I get to the crossing after elephant’s butt. Again, one good place to cross, the rest is a chunky mess. A group of people building rock statues. Right. At. The. Best. Place. To. Cross. I stop. Ring my bell. You’re building that right at the best place to cross. Oh, sorry! They move it. I ride on. On my way back, I see the put it back, roughly 6” from where they had been building. Thanks bonewipes.

I hate dealing with people sometimes. 

I have noticed that a lot, but typically not trail runners, more of the casual walkers (not hikers) who are oblivious of others. Bells work great for this.  I don't like when you ring the bell and they all go to opposite sides of the trail, narrowing the corridor. It's great when they all jump to the same side. If there are younger children I recommending slowing down if not stopping. Children will do the squirrel thing where they run to one side and then the moment you are in front of them they decide they need to be on the other side for some reason.

I am taking a counter approach. Casually scoping other locations in different states. It is a longer term solution, but the situation in this state is becoming untenable. Still have in-laws in town so we can't pick up and leave, but knowing your options is important so that when the opportunity presents itself the heavy lifting has already been done.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

We need this state to stop being shitty and buy some land for more parks. WTF, Texas?

To late. As I understand it, one of the reasons we (Texas) have so little public land is that when we were the nation of Texas we were dirt poor and sold land to private owners to fund the country. This is why there are sooo many large ranches across the whole state. In comparison to states like AZ or WA, there is a ton of public land and very little private land, at least not like the hundred acre ranch type of private land that Texas has. At this point, the opportunity's to convert private acreage into parks is minimal. 

image.thumb.png.70376574568421734c1e032ec4279071.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

To late. As I understand it, one of the reasons we (Texas) have so little public land is that when we were the nation of Texas we were dirt poor and sold land to private owners to fund the country. This is why there are sooo many large ranches across the whole state. In comparison to states like AZ or WA, there is a ton of public land and very little private land, at least not like the hundred acre ranch type of private land that Texas has. At this point, the opportunity's to convert private acreage into parks is minimal. 

image.thumb.png.70376574568421734c1e032ec4279071.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam

Yeah, I have several friends in Europe. Hiking paths and biking paths were established centuries ago and if you buy a house with an "established" path you can't block it or restrict access. There are some well known celebrities that tried to fight it (Madonna, I think) and they always get smacked down.  

• Like 1

What I'm about to say may seem trivial to some or at most a minor issue - but my month, quite possibly my life, is immediately ruined when I come across a hiker/runner who has headphones in so loud they are unaware of their surroundings. So loud that shouting RIDER BACK does not alert them to my presence.

I've seen this brought up before in other mountain bike forums, but I need to stop letting it get to me so much. I just cannot believe the audacity of some people. They might as well come into my house and take a giant shit on my floor.

I'm incredibly non-confrontational, so I won't say anything besides a short, snarky remark along the lines it's not a good idea, but on the inside I'm FUMING. It's like road rage but while riding, haha.

Edited by Schrute
  • Like 3

what's surprising to me is that trail runners are comfortable with that level of situational un-awareness. so many bad things can happen to someone when they're alone in the woods and they chose to block out one of their senses completely. I usually politely ask them to turn down the music a bit when I finally get their attention, and I've had people get really defensive, no matter how polite. some people are just trash in every situation.

• Like 4

A few months ago we rode up on a hiker with headphones in SATN. Bell, bell, bell. No reaction. BELL, BELL, "riders back!" He finally turned around, definitely saw us, turned right back around and kept walking at the same pace in the middle of the trail. It was an open area, so we just had to go around him off the trail through some grass. We were both too confused or in awe of it to even be mad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lately ive found mountain bikers aren't any better. We were out on SATN saturday and guys were riding up tailgating, and trying to get around my wife as shes trying to climb these techy ledges. She always over reacts and stops to get out of everyone's way. I'm also trying to break her of that habit. She loses all her momentum and ends up having to walk the feature, frustrated because these cunts are too selfish to give her the space to get up, then pass.  Worst yet, I'd imagine these dudes wished their wives were out there riding with them instead of blowing up their BMI rocking potato chips on the couch, watching real housewives.

It'd be nice if they had the decency to give a mountain biker some common courtesy

At this point I've been playing defense and blocking. I've told a few "you can fucking wait". Guess what.......they wait.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

what's surprising to me is that trail runners are comfortable with that level of situational un-awareness. so many bad things can happen to someone when they're alone in the woods and they chose to block out one of their senses completely. I usually politely ask them to turn down the music a bit when I finally get their attention, and I've had people get really defensive, no matter how polite. some people are just trash in every situation.

I have a really loud bell. When 3-4 rings elicits no response, I pass them, probably closer than I should, and ring the bell right next to them. Yes, it is rude, yes, it scares the living shit out of them. I am hoping that at least a few of them recognize that their music is too loud. I hate being rude, but occasionally it is warranted. The only thing worse is bikers with Bluetooth speakers….

Edited by AustinBike
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Lately ive found mountain bikers aren't any better. We were out on SATN saturday and guys were riding up tailgating and trying to get around my wife as shes trying to climb these techy ledges. She always over reacts and stops to get out of everyones way. I'm trying to break her of that habit. She loses all he momentum and ends up having to walk the feature, frustrated because these cunts are too selfish to give her the space to get up, then pass.  Worst yet, I'd imagine these dudes wished their wives were out there with them riding instead of blowing up their BMI rocking some potato chips on the couch watching real housewives. It'd be nice if they had the decency to give a mountain biker some common courtesy

At this point I've been playing defense and blocking. I've told a few "you can fucking wait". Guess what.......they wait.

There are some serious dickheads out at both Suburban Ninja and SATN. Real bikes, decent kit, so they must ride enough to be somewhat aware of conventions and norms -- and yet they fly up behind me, hub buzzing, in spots where there is no possible way for me to let them past. I've taken to sudden braking near cacti, and enjoy watching them bushwhack around me - hope you have cushcore, brah.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I have a really loud bell. When 3-4 rings elicits no response, I pass them, probably closer than I should, and ring the bell right next to them. Yes, it is rude, yes, it scares the living shit out of them. I am hoping that at least a few of them recognize that their music is too loud. I hate being rude, but occasionally it is warranted. The only thing worse is bikers with Bluetooth speakers….

I passed a guy blaring a bluetooth speaker the other day.

He said, "I'm riding alone."

I said, "I'm not surprised."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

21 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

She always over reacts and stops to get out of everyones way. I'm trying to break her of that habit. She loses all he momentum and ends up having to walk the feature, frustrated because these cunts are too selfish to give her the space to get up, then pass.  Worst yet, I'd imagine these dudes wished their wives were out there with them riding instead of blowing up their BMI rocking some potato chips on the couch watching real housewives. It'd be nice if they had the decency to give a mountain biker some common courtesy

100%.  I hate when hikers feel like they have to jump out of the way immediately.  I wonder who they have encountered in the past.  This is a problem in regular life too.  While touring the submarine up in NH we had a family right on our ass while the signs clearly say to wait for the compartment to clear before you move on.  Some unhealthy looking people complaining it was too hot.  I blocked so my wife and son could enjoy the interactive controls and listen to the old sailors and their stories on the speakers.  At one point my wife yelled at them “you can fucking pass us if you want” then they calmed the fuck down.

I’m convinced it’s all solipsism run amok.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

100%.  I hate when hikers feel like they have to jump out of the way immediately.  I wonder who they have encountered in the past.  This is a problem in regular life too.  While touring the submarine up in NH we had a family right on our ass while the signs clearly say to wait for the compartment to clear before you move on.  Some unhealthy looking people complaining it was too hot.  I blocked so my wife and son could enjoy the interactive controls and listen to the old sailors and their stories on the speakers.  At one point my wife yelled at them “you can fucking pass us if you want” then they calmed the fuck down.

I’m convinced it’s all solipsism run amok.

Yeah man, just way too many of us. Austin has gotten so nuts I'm looking forward to riding places outside of town just to get away from the chaos.

Solipsism. Flying post-covid has been an exercise in patience when all I want to do is punch someone in the throat. Then again, flying always makes me feel that way🤣

• Haha 1