IGNORED

Home Brew Tire Sealant Revisited

gotdurt

Used the last of my 32 oz bottle of Stan's that I paid $24 for on Amazon (Stan's store), only to find it has gone up to $50...?! Checked Jenson and CRC and it's $34 (+shipping). Orange Seal is up too.

With 4 bikes with tubeless tires now, this has me considering going back to home brew. I had a pretty decent formula tweaked a few years ago, but Stan's was still a little better and I finally decided that the @40% cost savings per unit volume wasn't worth the hassle for 2 bikes at the time. Now, if ingredients haven't gone up too much, it might be worth it.

The problem is, my best formula was shared in the Bike Mojo thread, which now appears to be no more... I don't remember it, so I have to start over.

So... if you have a formula that works, post up!

18 minutes ago, Charlie193 said:

If you don’t want the hassle of making your own, Goat Head Bike Co sealant is $25 for 32oz:
https://www.goatheadbikeco.com/products/tubeless-tire-sealant?variant=51250349323

It came with the last set of wheels/tires I bought so I just kept using it- works fine.

Cool, might have to try that out. Can't find much about it online, but it seams that everything is pretty equal these days. Only concern is the "pouch", as I keep it in my gear box in my van, and I' be worried about something puncturing, crushing or rubbing a hole in it. Wonder if it is Stan's-compatible so I can just refill my Stan's bottle...

Gathering ingredients and mixing a batch is a little time consuming, but it yields a large quantity so you don't have to do it often.

I'm still using the Slime + RV antifreeze + latex mold builder recipe. I've never considered changing because it works, it's cheap, and relatively simple to find the ingredients. (The latex mold builder is sometimes a problem.) However, I am now intrigued by this Berryman Tire Seal'R.

Edited by notyal
Misspelling that completely changed the meaning of the statement.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gotdurt said:

Used the last of my 32 oz bottle of Stan's that I paid $24 for on Amazon (Stan's store), only to find it has gone up to $50...?! Checked Jenson and CRC and it's $34 (+shipping). Orange Seal is up too.

Looks like you can get Bontrager Sealant from the Trek Store for $30 for 32oz and it's in stock. I've used it before and don't recall having any issues. Wouldn't be surprised if it is just Stan's under another label.Β 

• Like 1

I'm still using the recipe from that old thread.Β 

The only improvement is after a batch has been sitting in the garage for 6 months or so I'll add a couple ounces of ammonia to the bottle to adjust viscosity.Β Β 

I wonder if there's a covid related latex shortage...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gotdurt said:

Very interesting, how much water do you mix with it?

I put a few squirts of Berryman in a bottle and start mixing water in until I get a consistency that looks like it will slosh around in the tire. in concentrated form, that stuff is THICK. I don't think it would move around in the tire enough on its own.

• Like 1

For those making home brews and saying it works, what kind of testing are y’all doing or what kind of first hand experience with a puncture have you had? Β My experience with orange seal has been awful but with Stan’s I’ve had big enough holes that I get two revolutions of Stan’s squirting before it completely stops. Β I know I also have smaller punctures that I only learn about at a tire’s last bit of life where it starts weeping. Β I’m not wanting to discourage or criticize, rather I would love to brew my own too, but not without some assurances.

That is generally my thought on this. Sealant is like a parachute. Stan's is the parachute that I packed myself, I know it will work. All of the other ones are like a parachute that someone else packed for you - it is hard to be 100% confident.

Cheaper is better in many situations, and I am as cheap as it gets, but sealant is like sushi to me - it is not worth skimping.

• Like 1

I picked up a bottle of Orange seal last month as that's all they had at lbs. I've been using Stans since it first started doing tubeless. Mounted some new Clements on my CX bike and 2 weeks later got a small sidewall hole and had to install a tube to get me home. Noticed the Orange seal had completely dried up after 2 weeks. Ended up going back to Stans to seal the hole and carry on. Lesson learned.

• Like 1

Orange Seal Endurance has worked for me. I'm always amazed to see it spurting out, then stopping.Β 

But it's $36 for 32 ounces now. 4 oz to set up a tire, that's $4.50. Then repeat in four or five months. Jeez.

That's why I too was intrigued by Mack Turtle's Berryman's recommendation. I looked it up and found some good reviews on it for mountain biking tire applications. $33 for a gallon on Amazon. That's only $1 a tire, and that's if it's not cut with water as Mack suggests. That's probably as cheap as you can manufacture your own.

I guess you could get an old tire and experiment with it. Get it set up with Berryman's and poke it with an ice pick. Yeah, somebody do that!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

For those making home brews and saying it works, what kind of testing are y’all doing or what kind of first hand experience with a puncture have you had? Β My experience with orange seal has been awful but with Stan’s I’ve had big enough holes that I get two revolutions of Stan’s squirting before it completely stops. Β I know I also have smaller punctures that I only learn about at a tire’s last bit of life where it starts weeping. Β I’m not wanting to discourage or criticize, rather I would love to brew my own too, but not without some assurances.

You know how there are certain things in life that if they work perfectly, you don't even notice them? I've been using homebrew for 8 years or so, and I don't think I've had a puncture flat in that whole time. I've been on rides where other people have gotten punctures with white goo sputtering everywhere. Maybe it's better. Maybe I've just been lucky. Maybe both.

Here's a picture of my tire with a pinky sized cedar branch in the sidewall. I rode out like this. I even patched the hole and rode that tire for another month or two.Β 

FB08CFE4-2A73-40BD-B48F-CAF219392844_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.9f325b466b9a74cb4d407f83f89b7bf9.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I guess I just know it works 'cause it works.Β  Β I've been using it for like 5-6 years easily at this point and I think the only times I've had to use a tube is pinch flats or other side wall failure.Β Β 

Β 

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

That is generally my thought on this. Sealant is like a parachute. Stan's is the parachute that I packed myself, I know it will work. All of the other ones are like a parachute that someone else packed for you - it is hard to be 100% confident.

Cheaper is better in many situations, and I am as cheap as it gets, but sealant is like sushi to me - it is not worth skimping.

You're buying a parachute (stans) because it has a long mediocre usage history.Β  It'll save your life a lot of the time, at a production cost with room for acceptable markup.Β  Hey you can buy a version of stans where they don't skimp (as much?) on ingredients:Β https://www.notubes.com/stan-s-race-sealant-quart

DIY sealant really isn't about cost to me at this point.Β  It's nice that it's 1/3 the price of Stans and that I can conveniently make it in big 2.5 quart batches and use it liberally, but at this point in my life my ride time is really precious so I'm glad to know it works.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Kyle said:

You're buying a parachute (stans) because it has a long mediocre usage history.Β 

Hey, it works for me. I have never had to walk out a flat in more than 15 years of Stan's use. The only time I had to walk out was when I ripped a 2" gash at LGT and no sealant would have fixed that.

To call it mediocre is a misrepresentation. To call it expensive or overpriced is accurate, for some. Just like a Chris King headset is expensive and overpriced. I put money on things that work consistently and Stan's has worked consistently for me.

Just for shits and giggles I tried Peaty’s a while back when I found a bargain that put it below Stan’s price locally. It’s got a lot of floaty stuff that’s similar to glitter in it. Peaty is big on biodegradable and enviro friendly so no ammonia, glitter is biodegradable and packaging minimal and recycled materials. Β  Actually sealed a sidewall nick I got a while back. Unfortunately it was a bit too big and opened up before I made it all the way out but seems to have gotten a few other things. Still need to give it the worn tire how much shit is still stuck in my tire long term test but so far so good.Β 

I tried Black Ox sealant on a whim($30 for 32oz), after watching some of their vides, have been using it for about a year and have been very happy with the product(most of my weekend riding is at RPR).Β  Made the switch from Stans, never have, nor would I ever use orange seal.

Β 

Plus they are US made product.

Β 

https://blackoxsealant.com/

Β 

Β 

14 minutes ago, Ericbike6 said:

Β never have, nor would I ever use orange seal.

Β 

Plus they are US made product.

Why that opinion on Orange Seal?

Interesting that you then say the product you use is US made, like it matters, and I agree (every little bit helps). Orange Seal is about as local a product that there is since their home office is in Cedar Park.

5 hours ago, The Tip said:

Why that opinion on Orange Seal?

Interesting that you then say the product you use is US made, like it matters, and I agree (every little bit helps). Orange Seal is about as local a product that there is since their home office is in Cedar Park.

Β 

Maybe close to a decade(8-9 years) ago I bought a set of wheels for my sons bike from one of their salesmen at the time.Β  He swore up and down both wheels were good to go, full of sealant, shouldn't have any issues with them.Β  My son was racing at RPR right after I bought them, he got a flat on a section, and it would not seal back up for him.Β  Got it back to the truck, trying to figure out what was going on.Β  Come to find out it actually had a tube in that wheel.Β  And was not set up tubeless like he claimed.Β  Β To say I was a bit pissed off, would be an understatement, had I known that, I easily would have set it up as tubeless.Β  The other wheel was actually set up tubeless.

Β 

Ever since then, I have not used their product, and tell everyone I know not so use their product. Which sucks, as I would like to support local business. I've even gone as far as to replace sealant in my tires set up by my LBS once I learned they used orange seal.Β  If the salesman was willing to lie about something like this, how trustworthy is the rest of the company?

31 minutes ago, Ericbike6 said:

Maybe close to a decade(8-9 years) ago I bought a set of wheels for my sons bike from one of their salesmen at the time.Β 

Well now I am confused.

I just looked up their history. Founded in 2011 and all they've ever made or sold is sealant.Β 

It doesn't matter to me what people use though. It works and it lasts for awhile so I'll tell people I'm sold on them....

Β 

...at least until I do the Berryman's sealant experiment!

Β 

Β 

13 hours ago, The Tip said:

Well now I am confused.

I just looked up their history. Founded in 2011 and all they've ever made or sold is sealant.Β 

Β 

Let me try and explain it some more, I bought a set of wheels from one of their salesman, he had a take off set from one of his bikes, we did the transaction in an HEB parking lot.Β  Β So to further explain, the wheels belonged to one of orange seals salesmen, orange seal themselves did not sell me the wheels, just a representative of theirs.Β Β 

Β 

If you need further explanation, please let me know, and I can try to further explain it to you.Β  Maybe draw a picture or something along those lines

• Like 1