IGNORED

Home Brew Tire Sealant Revisited

gotdurt

Been using the latex/propylene glycol/water home brew for years, worked fine. Then someone was blowing out Stans for $12 a bottle so I bought ten. Never got into experimenting with chunkifying the mixture. Found it was more important to ride with any fresh sealant than where it came from.

• Like 1

This Orange Seal story has the feeling of an online review where the package arrived damaged, so the reviewer gives the product 1 star and flames the product/company, but the real fault is with the delivery company. 

It doesn't seem like he would maliciously lie about one of the two wheels having a tube. He probably just forgot he hadn't set them both up tubeless. It doesn't seem like any of your disdain for Orange Seal comes from actual use of the product. Only a bad experience with someone affiliated with the product (not even selling that product to you) who could have made an honest mistake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, notyal said:

This Orange Seal story has the feeling of an online review where the package arrived damaged, so the reviewer gives the product 1 star and flames the product/company, but the real fault is with the delivery company. 

It doesn't seem like he would maliciously lie about one of the two wheels having a tube. He probably just forgot he hadn't set them both up tubeless. It doesn't seem like any of your disdain for Orange Seal comes from actual use of the product. Only a bad experience with someone affiliated with the product (not even selling that product to you) who could have made an honest mistake.

It's people like you that take all the fun out of online outrage. /s

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, notyal said:

Shhh, you're ruining the narrative.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I decided to try the Berryman 1332... couldn't find it in any stores though, so I grabbed a 32oz bottle from Amazon for $16 to experiment with. I cut it with water in 4oz increments until I was happy with the viscosity, which ended up being about 50/50. Mounted my new DHF/DHRII combo, but had to redo the tape on the rear, which meant removing and re-seating the valve stem... which of course, leaked, despite my best effort shaking that side of the wheel. It was flat by morning. I aired it back up and went ahead for a ride though, and the sealant did its first job by the end; no more leaking stem.

Another nice thing is that it doesn't stink! I hate the smell of Stan's.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, gotdurt said:

I decided to try the Berryman 1332... couldn't find it in any stores though, so I grabbed a 32oz bottle from Amazon for $16 to experiment with.

I bought a big bottle from Oreilly's a while ago. still working well, but it seems to dry up fast. then again, everything dries up fast. I think i'm not mixing it with enough water, so I'll keep experimenting. a little experimenting is worth it to me because the price of the alternatives is OUTRAGEOUS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Tip said:

Next task for your Berryman's experiment...ice pick! 

Hmm yeah... I'm not that brave with $150 worth of new Maxxis'... maybe when they're shot.

48 minutes ago, Kyle said:

You could try mixing it with RV antifreeze instead of water.  Antifreeze definitely evaporates more slowly.  It's pretty cheap too.

I'm definitely interested in how the Berryman works out long term.

I actually have some from my DIY brew days and thought about using it, but figured I'd see how water fairs first. If we start getting frequent or hard freezes though, I might shoot an ounce or so into each tire anyway.

2 hours ago, The Tip said:

Next task for your Berryman's experiment...ice pick! 

I bought the Berryman's to try it too, and I have a worn out Maxxis Rambler 40c that will be sacrificed for this purpose.  I'll try both Stan's and Berryman's at 50/50 with various size hole making devices.  I just need to get the time to do it.

• Thanks 3

14 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I bought the Berryman's to try it too, and I have a worn out Maxxis Rambler 40c that will be sacrificed for this purpose.  I'll try both Stan's and Berryman's at 50/50 with various size hole making devices.  I just need to get the time to do it.

Please be sure to get that on video.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...