IGNORED

Upgrading tires - what to pick?

Mason

4 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

Great front tire, but you have to be comfortable leaning the bike over.

Joking aside I hear that the larger/newer sizes are actually a really nice tire. I may have to stop hating on them so much and try out a pair...not sure it is worth another injury though.

I've been riding Ardents front and back for the past 6 months or so and love them.  I had decided that was going to be my go-to.  This week I picked up a brand-new Transition Smuggler that came with Minions.  I expected them to be more aggressive than I need for my riding style and had fully planned on moving the Ardents from the old bike ... but damn, these things are like riding on rails!

34 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

First post and it has the potential to become the go to tire thread on this site. Congratulations! 🙂

I don't know if I should be proud or scared! 

34 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

I’ve found that for around here, high volume (wide) with small, closer spaced knobs tend to work really well. Whatever you do though, get an armored sidewall like Maxxis’ EXO protective layer.

That is good info, I really didn't know what the EXO was.

25 minutes ago, csmceuen said:

The real question though is how does everyone feel about Ardents?

I rode them on my remedy and found that if I was in that 15-20 degree off center range in a corner I completely lost the front end. But if I railed the corner it was great. 

I’m currently swapping to rekon front ikon back on the hardtail, and dhf front rekon back on the genius. 

My worst crash was becuase of the famous ardent "dead spot". Demo'd a tallboy LT back when i lived in NM and hit my usual trail, at my usual speeds and never had a tire wash out like those 2.2s did. Next thing I knew i was flying head first down the side of a hill. No thanks

For here, at slow speed rock-bike riding, they are probably fine but i wont own one.

Tioga Farmer John in the back and Farmer John's Cousin up front. I find these tires have superior traction compared to my old Snake Bellies. They will set up tubeless but you may need half a bottle of pookey in each tire. If you don't want to mess the pookey I recommend Mr. Tuffy tire liners for flat protection.

imagegallery-632-54cb83531060e.jpg

12 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

My worst crash was becuase of the famous ardent "dead spot". Demo'd a tallboy LT back when i lived in NM and hit my usual trail, at my usual speeds and never had a tire wash out like those 2.2s did. Next thing I knew i was flying head first down the side of a hill. No thanks

For here, at slow speed rock-bike riding, they are probably fine but i wont own one.

One of my worst crashes was also a 2.25 ardent washing out at speed. I used them in the rear and they were fine. 

Edited by crazyt