IGNORED

Bad news for town lake

AustinBike

2 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

Somewhat related...

Keeping the younger generation away from scooters...with e-bikes. Scott now offers a 24" wheeled ebike.

Kids%20Roxter%20eRIDE_SCOTT%20Sports_Bik

Jesus Fing christ make your kids exercise people! if you dont want to earn your rides and exercise, get a damn motorcycle! this shit is just gonna make this next generation softer than it already is. lol 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, notyal said:

Devil's Advocate: I would love build my kids' love for mountain biking (and I'm trying). The problem is that I am selfish. When I have the time to ride, I want to fucking shred. I ain't got no time to be waitin' for a scrawny kid to play catchup. 

This was my issue as well, but my 11yo kid and his friends in the neighborhood have been riding a lot, and watching videos and learning on their own.  We went on a group ride (grown-ups) at Walnut, and my kid was middle of the pack.  They'll get there if they like it.  My oldest has very little interest so he mostly stays home.  I think my 11yo is going to get the 14yo's new bike once he outgrows (or destroys) his Hotrock.

18 hours ago, notyal said:

Devil's Advocate: I would love build my kids' love for mountain biking (and I'm trying). The problem is that I am selfish. When I have the time to ride, I want to fucking shred. I ain't got no time to be waitin' for a scrawny kid to play catchup. 

Can totally relate to this at times

What i have to keep in mind when it comes to this, is time doesn't stop and soon I'll be old and slow and they'll be in their prime. I'd want them to do the same for me, so i have to play it cool and celebrate their progress when it comes. Plus its fun to see them improve and become more of challenge to drop.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

Jesus Fing christ make your kids exercise people! if you dont want to earn your rides and exercise, get a damn motorcycle! this shit is just gonna make this next generation softer than it already is. lol 

Again, public shaming of all parties involved will be the only solution🤣

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

Somewhat related...

Keeping the younger generation away from scooters...with e-bikes. Scott now offers a 24" wheeled ebike.

Kids%20Roxter%20eRIDE_SCOTT%20Sports_Bik

What rich mfers have enough money to buy their kid a bike that costs more than most of us spend on an adult bike that they'll outgrow in a year? I don't know what is worse- mountain biking's golfification or it's wussification. Looks like both of those trends are converging.

I just saw scooters as far north as 183 and Burnet Road yesterday. 183 and Burnet Road? Pretty busy place for these ridiculous transportation devices. As far as injuries you never see any of the people riding them wearing a helmet. We seem to think because it's not a car or motorcycle you don't need a helmet. Most fatal and serious head injuries occur at less than fifteen MPH. People that ride these things without prior experience or a helmet are just giving us an example of Darwins theory in action. I think all it's going to take is a few good lawsuits to curb this latest fad.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chief said:

I just saw scooters as far north as 183 and Burnet Road yesterday. 183 and Burnet Road? Pretty busy place for these ridiculous transportation devices. As far as injuries you never see any of the people riding them wearing a helmet. We seem to think because it's not a car or motorcycle you don't need a helmet. Most fatal and serious head injuries occur at less than fifteen MPH. People that ride these things without prior experience or a helmet are just giving us an example of Darwins theory in action. I think all it's going to take is a few good lawsuits to curb this latest fad.

They're at almost every intersection on Burnet Rd now - mostly parked (I'm assuming by the juicers) so that they block ADA access.

On 12/12/2018 at 3:14 PM, notyal said:

That kid is either yelling at it or trying to take a bite out the saddle. 

Sure, I bet it is expensive, but if I had deeper pockets I'd buy one for my kids.

You would have more time to ride if you took the kid, since the wife wouldnt give you a hard time. 

On 12/12/2018 at 3:29 PM, Seths Pool said:

like shuttles?

• Like 1

I saw lots of scooters parked in different places around Metric close to Walnut Creek yesterday.  None were blocking sidewalks or ramps.  I guess cities and scooter companies learned from the early bike share problems so we shouldn't expect to see scooter piles like this:  https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/03/bike-share-oversupply-in-china-huge-piles-of-abandoned-and-broken-bicycles/556268/?fbclid=IwAR1QnmHg_oxSStyx6hX0HA4L9o9mhkhto3dR1Q788cO0dJpemG7YZ5NlBLM

I saw this 'group ride' or maybe tour on the Walnut Creek singletrack yesterday.   They were riding these little motorized skateboard-type things with one big wheel in the middle.  These - https://onewheel.com/

Fairly sure they're considered motorized and not allowed on the trail, but not sure.  They move pretty slow and moved out of the way when I rode by so I didn't say anything.

35 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

haha we do 4k' days all pedal power at cat Mtn no problem. shuttles are used but only for bonus laps 🙂

i was thinking angelfire. In many places 4000 ft of elevation in 10 miles is an every day ride.

Edited by crazyt

• 5 weeks later...