IGNORED

Bad news for town lake

AustinBike

We had a discussion about this at our Violet Crown Trail Stewards Committee meeting yesterday. A park ranger supervisor and a member from Austin Parks sits on the board and were both there. Part of this discussion was saying that the pilot program is only a few months long.

I asked what they are considering electric bikes. With throttles? Only peddle assisted?  They said that they realized the difference and were trying to come up with classes for them. I think they said they identified four different categories. I felt that they are handling the situation as well as they can at this point. They certainly are not just ignoring it.

On 1/18/2019 at 4:09 PM, Teamsloan said:

Just got notice of this survey by CoA. Give them feedback on this pilot program.

https://www.speakupaustin.org/e-trails

Thanks!  I just filled this out.  In general, I can't stand how the scooters are just littered about in neighborhoods throughout Austin so I'm in favor of any forum to provide feedback both pertaining to the trails and beyond. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TrimTheFat said:

Thanks!  I just filled this out.  In general, I can't stand how the scooters are just littered about in neighborhoods throughout Austin so I'm in favor of any forum to provide feedback both pertaining to the trails and beyond. 

I'm with you.  I think the scooters should be required to place back in a designated paddock or get charged a recovery fee.  Yes, it would probably affect the ridership that the scoot folks would balk at, but this stuff is totally out of control.

Edited by Shakey Start
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Shakey Start said:

So, are we to assume there is a 10mph speed limit to all forms of transportation on Ladybird Trail?

I would assume that. Since I ride it almost every day, I can say that my speed rarely gets over 10MPH for any length of time because of all of the walkers/joggers.

Seems like one way to deal with our bloated scooter population is to hold the individuals signing off on all these permits accountable, and remove them from public service. Looks like Austin has granted over 10k licenses and from what i have heard, is over 5x what other comparable cities are issuing. Makes me wonder if someones palm is getting greased.

https://austintexas.gov/docklessmobility

Edited by ATXZJ

I spent the weekend in San Francisco deep in the armpit of Silicon Valley and I only saw a handful of scooters or bikes.  It could be because of the crazy hills or maybe they have some California-esque regulation to prevent them.  

Honestly, I was hoping to use one to get from Menlo Park to Stanford (flat - 2 miles) but there were none to be found.  I should have picked one up from an Austin street corner and taken it with me.

I like how they didn't even chase him, they just subpoenaed uber for his personal information. Probably had the shock of his life when a couple police cruisers pulled into his driveway...

23 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Did my typical lunchtime lap around the lake and for the first time in many months I did not see a single scooter out there. Perhaps these signs are helping. Nicely done TTF.

IMG_4303.jpg

+ a certain someone we know writing tickets.