IGNORED

Flats to Clips

After 4 1/2 years riding flats I have finally made the decision to switch to clipless. I tried a couple years ago and after falling 20 times in a week I switched back. The reason I’m switching now is I’ve seen guys on clips ride smoothly through sections on Emma Long and Double Down that I’ve tried time and time again with no consistent success. 

Anyway, I really want this time around to be a success. After feeling really unstable on my first ride today and reading an article on Pinkbike, I moved the cleats as far back as possible and I feel so much more stable now. So does anyone have any advice for me? Anyone have a similar fact pattern to me and had success?

There isn’t a big tip or trick. only thing I can think of is that if you use SPDs, set them the the loosest setting while you get used to it. 

Really though, It’s all about muscle memory. Over the next few months you’ll be re-wiring your brain to instinctively twist your foot off the pedal instead of sliding it off. It takes time so just stick with it and I guarantee you’ll be dabbing just as fast with clipless pedals as you did with flats. 

Edited by WLemke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did the opposite. Started riding clipped in early on and switched to flats more recently. I can't find a compelling reason that I would want to clip in, but I'm known to be weird. clipping in does absolutely nothing for my confidence level. in fact, it makes me far less confident. I'm not chasing times, so if clipping in would make me faster, I see no value in that for me. now that I have some decent shoes and pedals and developed a technique for riding flats anywhere and everywhere, riding clipped in would handicap me. judging by the way I often leave most groups in the dust on climbs, I don't think it's holding me back.

just don't buy into the idea that clipless is "the way" for everyone, that clipping into your pedals means you've "upgraded" because you're now "serious about mountain biking." just be "serious" about having fun with whatever setup works for you regarding pedals or whatever other gear choice you're considering.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

Ran flats early on and then switched to clips. the best way to learn with clips is a big open grassy field. Once you get good in the field, try something like Walnut Creek or another easier trail. Don't jump right into the most technical stuff. When you do get to a technical trail, be more conscientious about what you are doing, if there is a technical feature that you are 50/50 on making, don't try to make those on the first try. I did several laps at city park where I unclipped and walked features instead of trying them. But once I had the clip in/out down to a science, I was able to clip in and ride them a lot better. 

Ultimately I find clips to be cheaters - it helps me not have to think about a foot coming off a pedal in an in opportune moment.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, WLemke said:

Really though, It’s all about muscle memory. Over the next few months you’ll be re-wiring your brain to instinctively twist your foot off the pedal instead of sliding it off. It takes time so just stick with it and I guarantee you’ll be dabbing just as fast with clipless pedals as you did with flats. 

Its all this 100%.  You have to (re)learn that before you come to a stop, your feet have to come out of the pedals 1st.  Additionally, there is another thing at play here.  Its the "system" of your cleat and pedal interface.  Over time they wear together to the point that they are sorta a 'matched set'.  I.e. I have SPD's on 3 different bikes and my primary MTB clips and unclips smooth and seamlessly.  However, on my other 2 bikes (with the same pair of shoes) those bikes have a slightly different unclipping feel.  I can tell that the pedals and cleats are not "matched".   Don't get me wrong....they work together fine.  But like I said, over time all the grooves, patterns, metal gets worn together.  My suggestion is bring your bike into the house, get on your bike and put yourself in a doorway where you can hold yourself up (with hands on the doorframe).  Then sit there and clip and unclip dozens of times.  This helps train muscle memory and also begins to 'wear in' your cleats/pedal system.

Later,
CJB

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WLemke said:

There isn’t a big tip or trick. only thing I can think of is that if you use SPDs, set them the the loosest setting while you get used to it. 

I tried flats after many years of clipless and nearly killed myself because I tried to twist my feet off the pedals. Regarding loose or tight, the caveat with loose is that they take more rotation to release vs tighter.

3 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I tried flats after many years of clipless and nearly killed myself because I tried to twist my feet off the pedals. Regarding loose or tight, the caveat with loose is that they take more rotation to release vs tighter.

Good point! I probably shouldn’t be giving advice on SPDs. I am on team crank bros. 

IMHO, start with the multi-release cleats and play with pedal tension. I started on spds, f'd myself up and went back to flats only to return when i got a gravel bike. Started with the multi cleats until i got the muscle memory down then switched to standard cleats. I'll occasionally go back N forth from flats to SPD to keep me sharp.

Also, good advice from the others about wearing pads. 

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Multi-Directional-Release-Cleat/dp/B082BBB12Z

i feel like there is some break in period for cleats (i run crank bros). When i install new cleats, the first ride tends to be awkward.

my advice for learning clips would be try to practice on easy terrain. ride them on a road bike... or on an easier ride like walnut/southie trails. and make it a point to stop and unclip at stoplights or after every trail, etc... try and do that a few rides in a row

Team CB as well.

Yes new cleats are the hardest- I know with CB the float changes on which shoe the cleat is mounted.  I just put new cleats on and remembered this when I almost couldnt unclip as I was used to.

I piled up blankets in garage and held on to my work bench just practicing the motion.  Rode 30' down the street and fell over.  Rode another 500' into a park and fell over.  Rode in that field for 30 minutes and had it down.

I like clips as my feet are secure on downhill bumpy stuff, TBH though if I see something Im hesitant about I will take one foot out of the clip in case.

Shimano makes a minimal retention pedal-cleat system.  They are designed for 1st time learners.  I bought this setup for my 5 yr old as he began to advance into legit riding terrain.  It was a super easy way for him to learn, but once he got the hang of it he began to complain that he was coming out too easy on chunky terrain and in techy situations.  I honestly don't think this is the best route for adults because you are effectively having to buy 2 systems.....1st to learn and then the permanent system after you learn.  

Just went and found the info on the Shimano site.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/technologies/component/details/shimano-clickr.html

Later,
CJB

6 hours ago, Taco Man said:

TBH though if I see something Im hesitant about I will take one foot out of the clip in case.

I used to do the same thing when I rode clipless, and inevitably, it would be the opposite foot that I should have released. 

7 hours ago, WLemke said:

I am on team crank bros. 

I don't ride clipless often, but when I do ride clipless, I ride Crank Bros. 

• Like 1

I actually learned to clip in (I'm giving up on using "clipless." Kids today don't even know what toe clips were!) by starting on campus pedals.

Flats on one side, clips on the other. As I came to something technical, "Pretty good chance I'll fall trying this," I would unclip and rotate to the flat side. Of course the clips are what helps get through the techy stuff, and I knew that, even then. But that contra thinking, playing it safe, helped build my confidence and allowed me to ease into the clipped in world. 

I know this is not a popular route to take but it worked for me. After I was pretty much 100% staying clipped in I bought new pedals to move on from that downside of the campus pedals. That's having to rotate them and find the side you want. 

00-1473-non-non.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Tip said:

I actually learned to clip in (I'm giving up on using "clipless." Kids today don't even know what toe clips were!) by starting on campus pedals.

Flats on one side, clips on the other. As I came to something technical, "Pretty good chance I'll fall trying this," I would unclip and rotate to the flat side. Of course the clips are what helps get through the techy stuff, and I knew that, even then. But that contra thinking, playing it safe, helped build my confidence and allowed me to ease into the clipped in world. 

I know this is not a popular route to take but it worked for me. After I was pretty much 100% staying clipped in I bought new pedals to move on from that downside of the campus pedals. That's having to rotate them and find the side you want. 

00-1473-non-non.jpg

Yeah, I learned on toe clips. Worst case scenario was "unclipping" on the toe to get through a technical section, only to have the toe clip upside down on the bottom of the pedal, grabbing a rock or root. That stops you pretty quick. 

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Yeah, I learned on toe clips. Worst case scenario was "unclipping" on the toe to get through a technical section, only to have the toe clip upside down on the bottom of the pedal, grabbing a rock or root. That stops you pretty quick. 

I never mountain biked with toe cages. Thousands of miles on roads though. I can't even imagine mountain biking with them. 😲

• Like 1

I rode the BCGB with toe clips.  My shoes had smooth soles though to allow easy release.  I was a much better rider back then though compared to now…like it’s hard to believe I used to be able to do some of that stuff back then.

as to flats now, good point regarding shins.  The only reason I own flats is to practice wheelies and manuals.  And the only reason I own shin/knee guards is because I own flat pedals.  Though technically I still have my futbol shin guards :).