IGNORED

Flats to Clips

31 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

so far, this thread is disappointing me. have we suddenly become civilized or something? what happened to the practice of "pick a pedal and be a dick about it to everyone who does not confirm your subjective tastes" mentality?

I was fully expecting that treatment when I posted the topic.  You guys have gone soft on me.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

so far, this thread is disappointing me. have we suddenly become civilized or something? what happened to the practice of "pick a pedal and be a dick about it to everyone who does not confirm your subjective tastes" mentality?

Time ATAC. SPD is fine if you have elevated estrogen.

I hope you're happy now.

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

Is that true?  What's the reason? That makes me happy because the Diamonback Release 5 has short chain stays.

For me clipping in is better. And short chain  stays are better. The only relation they have is that @ATXZJ has the opposite preferences on those points. This was simply my reply to his "fight me" statement. 

• Haha 3

• 5 months later...
On 10/14/2021 at 7:55 PM, Trailrider said:

I used flats a couple times, felt like I lost 50 watts of power. PASS

Yep.  Same here.  I just tried flats for the first time for a few rides and things just never clicked.  First thing I noticed was loss of power and control in the technical stuff.  Went to flats thinking I would feel more comfortable on jumps.  Turned out that wasn't a gain either.  Switched back to clipless yesterday and all is right with the world again.

Anybody interested in buying these very lightly used OneUp composites off of me?

Edited by zrx24
  • Like 1

nobody mentioned using dry chain-lube on the pedals while breaking in new cleats or pedals for clipless; can help a lot with SPD and SPD-like; Doesn't seem needed for Crank Bros or Time though IMO ... but then both of those wear out cleats quickly, IMO.

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2021 at 7:03 PM, WLemke said:

There isn’t a big tip or trick. only thing I can think of is that if you use SPDs, set them the the loosest setting while you get used to it. 

Really though, It’s all about muscle memory. Over the next few months you’ll be re-wiring your brain to instinctively twist your foot off the pedal instead of sliding it off. It takes time so just stick with it and I guarantee you’ll be dabbing just as fast with clipless pedals as you did with flats. 

Shocked myself this past week on Peddlers@Brushy. Rear slid out on one of the rocky turns, and before I had even thought about it, my foot was already unclipped and pushing me back upright through the turn. 

Also, had done the "ride flats for 12 rides" thing a while back. Did that. was even able to make the short rocky/rooty climb at back of Mulligan w/o falling off pedals or bike. But, in the end, didn't really like how they felt, so I went back to my trusty 1998 SPDs. Been meaning to move the flats to the gravel bike, but haven't gotten to it yet. 

Edited by jcarneytx
  • Like 1