IGNORED

Swing out racks

I'm getting a new truck and hoping to use it to do more camping. I will be running a shell on the back, but most times will transport bikes back there as well. But for some trips I'll want to use a receiver hitch rack. Currently I have a Kuat NV 2.0. But I'd like to have a swing out so I can actually use the truck when bikes are on the rack (the tilt function is fine for loading, but you can't tailgate).

Anyone have experience with any of the add on swing outs? The one thing I don't like about any of them is they raise the rack by 2-4 inches and they push it all back out from the bumper by another 6-12". Wondering about some of the options that are swing out platforms, which I could then mount tray racks to. Or pull the trays and run it with a cooler/grill for other trips. 

Rack attach seems like the nicest option, but as with all things 1UP, is pricey. The other stuff is probably equivalent. They all see to have the same weight ratings. Eventually I could see running a dirt bike back there too. 

So what says you?

Just now, circuitbreaker said:

don't know anything about swing arms... but we were just in moab, and saw a bunch of campers with a tray mounted on each side. thought it was a pretty ideal solution.

holdup-with-fatbike-jpg.1085581

I initially wanted to do that with my current truck, but never got around to it. I suppose I could give it a shot on the new truck instead. Some of it comes down to the type of edge the cap has. Fiberglass caps normally have a lip at the edge which makes the mount a bit tougher to setup (that is what held me back previously), but on the new truck/cap, it is a steel cap, with no lip, so might be easier. I just worry about overall height and width. It's a big new truck.

I saw a vehicle (I think it was an FJ Cruiser) recently that had one of those side mount trays, but it was mounted much lower. I didn't see it with a bike on it, so I'm not sure how that worked to keep the handlebars clear of the vehicle. If I recall correctly, the rack/tray was somehow attached where the rear bumper joined the frame.

9 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

That one seems to be the best built, second to the Kuat pivot 2. But $400 is mighty pricey!

As the old ad goes "...and it's worth it..."

I don't have one but I have a 1Up. Very expensive proposition but over time I find that I really love the rack and now I think it is a steal.

Always liked this one

https://rockymounts.com/backstage/

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/bikes-and-biking/one-perfect-thing-rocky-mounts-swing-away/

https://billiebars.com/products/backstage-hitch-bike-carrier-swing-away-rockymounts

Otherwise I was using my swagman jackknife with good success with the tailgate down, but the wind drag was insane. My current yakima fold down is a PITA to use with a tailgate and a dent waiting to happen.

• 2 weeks later...