IGNORED

2019 Death March

DesertNomad

Not like he’d give us the time of day anyway.  

My sentiments on the LA story are mixed.  While he did dope and did lie and did treat some good people like shit, he also put in serious saddle time training to win 7.  Juicing alone doesn’t buy you 7.  The insanely intense training still has to happen.  

7 hours ago, DesertNomad said:

Not like he’d give us the time of day anyway.  

My sentiments on the LA story are mixed.  While he did dope and did lie and did treat some good people like shit, he also put in serious saddle time training to win 7.  Juicing alone doesn’t buy you 7.  The insanely intense training still has to happen.  

Yeah, no kidding. I am always going on the assumption that everyone was juicing in one way or another. His juicing probably made him 5-10% better, just enough to win, but what if he could have won without it? We'll never know.

I think this convo inside this thread is a lame place to have it but since we are here....

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/08/24/sports/top-finishers-of-the-tour-de-france-tainted-by-doping.html?ref=cycling

IMHO, there is much more going on to win ANY TdF than doping.  Yes, doping is deplorable and robs those that would prefer (or do) choose to ride clean.  But its not the deciding factor.  

-CJB

What got LA the lifetime ban is not the doping, it's the assholery that came after.  You could argue that the system he established and got others into could be a reason, but I firmly believe it was more to do with the threats, standing up in the podium mocking those that had accused him, etc.

4 hours ago, Hakalugi said:

Looking forward to this event!! I've ridden w/ LA a couple of times... Juan Pelota isn't enough to git er done on this ride :classic_laugh:.

One of my claims to fame was that I beat LA in a race - on his own property 🙂

A few years back the Mellow Johnny's classic was run on his ranch and he ended up with a DNF. Technically anyone that finished the race beat him. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AustinBike said:

A few years back the Mellow Johnny's classic was run on his ranch and he ended up with a DNF. Technically anyone that finished the race beat him. 

Out of curiosity I was looking at that propery (the singletrack really) online a few weeks ago. Do you know if that's one of the places he sold? Wonder if the trails still exists? It is in a great area for trails.