IGNORED

Red Bull Rampage 2021

throet

TVS and the other injuries was just a reminder that this event needs to be rethought. Southern Utah is our old stomping ground so we watched what we could, but between the commentary and crashes, couldn't finish it.

Riders are beyond skilled bordering on superhuman. They need to be compensated as such. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

TVS and the other injuries was just a reminder that this event needs to be rethought. Southern Utah is our old stomping ground so we watched what we could, but between the commentary and crashes, couldn't finish it.

Riders are beyond skilled bordering on superhuman. They need to be compensated as such. 

Damn! Just now reading about the injuries TVS sustained. I saw the crash live and knew they carted him off to the hospital, but had no idea it would be as bad as it was. Wondering even if those will be career ending, which would be really unfortunate for such a great competitor. 

The reality I suppose is that it could have been even worse, and frankly I'm surprised that nobody has died doing this stuff. Semenuk's interest in rally racing might be due to better sponsorship / pay opportunities than what these guys can make strictly on MTB. As you stated, if you're going to risk your life making a living, it should at least be lucrative.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I can’t watch rampage because I hate seeing injuries, but also after learning how they’re not compensated enough for what they do I am even less inclined to watch it.

I watch it mostly to grasp what is within the realm of possibilities on a mountain bike. Honestly I'd be fine if they left the slopestyle stuff out of it and just highlighted the absolute bike control that is required on steep terrain and massive drop offs, with the ability to manage high speed in some situations and control speed in others. Hell I'd probably shit my pants just dropping off that platform! 

image.thumb.png.f0b774d1d9fb4c9de4f23669cd7a6c20.png

• Haha 1

You think that footage is brutal, the multiple angle one Gee Atherton released of his recent crash was way worse to me. Really crazy is the version he narrated saying basically it’s what I do for a living. I know the risks, know I’ll get hurt doing it, and soon as I finish rehab I’ll go right back to it. Really eye opening commentary on how some of these guys view “extreme sports”. 

• Like 1