IGNORED

Rebuild reverb or new dropper post

crankin

20 minutes ago, crankin said:

I need to either have my reverb rebuilt or switch to a different dropper. If I get it rebuilt I would like to switch to the newer lever but I don’t know if I would just be better off changing brands. 

Had mine rebuilt in Feb and it started acting up again a month or so ago. Sent it back to SRAM and they are replacing it with a new one at no cost. I'm setting it up with a Wolf Tooth cable actuated lever, but honestly if I would have had to pay for another rebuild, I would have just replaced it with another brand. Jenson had a RF Turbine listed today on their Cyber Monday ad for $250 which dropped to $212 after applying an additional 15% coupon, but it appears to come without a lever. I was tempted to buy it and have it standing by for the next time my Reverb fails, since the Wolf Tooth lever would work with it as well (minus the special dongle for the Reverb). I checked some reviews though and wasn't impressed with what people were saying about the Turbine. I think the Fox Transfer will be my next post but I haven't really seen any great deals on them.

The Reverbs are so expensive to rebuild, they force you to consider just replacing them. Every. Single. Time. 

Which brand has good reliability and, more importantly, is reasonable for a DIY to maintain and rebuild? I might switch to that if you can cough up the dough.

I guess the other option is getting the tools and stuff to rebuild it yourself. Did you try bleeding it first?

• Like 1

The OneUp Components dropper was on sale yesterday for $160 without a remote. I picked one up as a spare for when I'll need to have my Transfer serviced soon. Not sure if the coupon will still work, I found it on their Instagram page.

But they look very user friendly to service, come with a 2yr warranty, and a replacement cartage is $80 outside of warranty. Plus, you can adjust the height of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrossPlane said:

The OneUp Components dropper was on sale yesterday for $160 without a remote. I picked one up as a spare for when I'll need to have my Transfer serviced soon. Not sure if the coupon will still work, I found it on their Instagram page.

But they look very user friendly to service, come with a 2yr warranty, and a replacement cartage is $80 outside of warranty. Plus, you can adjust the height of them.

the ONEUP dropper post is absolutely fantastic! I cant think of a single thing I dont like about it. it's <$200, light weight, super quick up and down, cable actuated (with wolftooth remote is primo) just feels nice in quality, and is ultra easy to install and service.

I would recommend this ONE UP dropper to anyone and all of my bike will be getting these once the reverbs die

rock shot "crash replacement" (out of warranty) replacement cost is like $250. just get a one up for ssuuurrrreeeee

• Like 3

I have one of these on both my bikes. Been on my FS going on two years now with absolutely no issues. Not the fanciest or lightest but it's been reliable. At the price of it you could go through three of these in a year and still be out of pocket less than most big name brands. Hell at this price it would be a good backup for when your expensive dropper is being serviced!:classic_biggrin:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/brand-x-ascend-120mm-150mm-dropper-seatpost/rp-prod149024

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AustinBike said:

The i950r on my full suspension has been sketchy. It drops easy but I usually have to grab it with my legs to pull it back up.

Thanks for the pro tip! My Fox DOSS mechanical dropper on my backup bike isn't holding air anymore and I've been using the reach-around method to pull it back up. After seeing your post I realized I can just grab it between my legs and yank it up - worked great on my ride today! Once I get my other bike back with the Reverb replacement, I'll see about replacing the seals on the DOSS.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

the ONEUP dropper post is absolutely fantastic! I cant think of a single thing I dont like about it. it's <$200, light weight, super quick up and down, cable actuated (with wolftooth remote is primo) just feels nice in quality, and is ultra easy to install and service.

I would recommend this ONE UP dropper to anyone and all of my bike will be getting these once the reverbs die

rock shot "crash replacement" (out of warranty) replacement cost is like $250. just get a one up for ssuuurrrreeeee

Holy crap, the service procedure is SUPER simple! Doable by a home mechanic, for sure. 

https://can.oneupcomponents.com/pages/dropper-service-instructions

• Like 1

First ride today on my Reverb "goodwill" replacement, which I had installed with a new Wolf Tooth lever by my LBS. Seems that lowering the post is not as smooth as it was with the hydraulic plunger, but it rises much more swiftly now. The ergonomics of the lever is far better than the standard Reverb plunger. Anyway I'm pleased with the change and when this latest Reverb fails, I'll definitely be considering alternatives.  

I will second the suggestion to go with the OneUp dropper after using it for about 3 months. It was easy to install and has been totally solid. Like Seth said, basically no downsides.

I was on Reverbs for years and even started servicing it myself during the last year (similar procedure to fork lowers), but after a third IFP leak, I decided to try something different since it was out of warranty. The Reverb is super smooth when it's working right, but for the price and serviceability, you really should look elsewhere nowadays.

If you get a Wolftooth lever (like I did), put some gaffing tape on it or it will rip up your gloves.

crankin', I'll sell you the RockShox Reverb Stealth 31.6 (x150mm, I think) from my brand-new SC 5010 for $200.  I'll sell you the whole thing - lever, cable, post, and all.  I don't know much about it; I guess it has the new-style lever you want.  There is nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell; I just don't like the action as compared to my cheap-ass Brand-X I have on my other MTB.  I have literally 2 rides on this thing, maybe 25 miles total. Please let me know if you are interested.

I'm no good with hydraulics so I am going to take the bike to the shop this weekend and have them swap in a KS Lev I have lying around spare.  So the RS should be available this weekend or early next week.

-cls

Edited by MrTheCatLady

34 minutes ago, MrTheCatLady said:

crankin', I'll sell you the RockShox Reverb Stealth 31.6 (x150mm, I think) from my brand-new SC 5010 for $200.  I'll sell you the whole thing - lever, cable, post, and all.  I don't know much about it; I guess it has the new-style lever you want.  There is nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell; I just don't like the action as compared to my cheap-ass Brand-X I have on my other MTB.  I have literally 2 rides on this thing, maybe 25 miles total. Please let me know if you are interested.

I'm no good with hydraulics so I am going to take the bike to the shop this weekend and have them swap in a KS Lev I have lying around spare.  So the RS should be available this weekend or early next week.

-cls

I need a 30.9. I really like the reverb, but this is my second one and I’m looking for something more durable. I can’t decide between the Oneup or PNW Bachelor 

Fair enough.  Thanks for responding, and good luck.

FWIW I have my eye on the e13 TRS+ .  I am totally convinced the 100% mechanical design (i.e. spring powered) is superior.  Also, I don't mind the lack of infinite adjustability...I think an e13 provides a selection of heights that is not at all limiting; at least, not to a rider at my (low) skill level.  It disappoints me that they have not ben without their issues, but hopefully those are behind them, and the fix was user-installable anyway.

-cls

On 11/30/2018 at 3:06 PM, MrTheCatLady said:

Fair enough.  Thanks for responding, and good luck.

FWIW I have my eye on the e13 TRS+ .  I am totally convinced the 100% mechanical design (i.e. spring powered) is superior.  Also, I don't mind the lack of infinite adjustability...I think an e13 provides a selection of heights that is not at all limiting; at least, not to a rider at my (low) skill level.  It disappoints me that they have not ben without their issues, but hopefully those are behind them, and the fix was user-installable anyway.

-cls

I've had the e13 post for just under a year.  I bought it because of the price and the simplicity of the internals.  The first post I got developed a lot of play in the top cap and no matter what I did it would not stay snug.  To their credit, e13 was very responsive and helpful and eventually replaced the post free of charge.  The replacement post has been great.  The lever that comes with the post is solid and feels good.  I'm still getting used to riding with a dropper, but 99% of the time it's either all the way up or all the way down, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on the infinite adjustability thing.  It does have 2 intermediate stops, so every once in a while I'll put it one notch down from the top if I want to get decent leg extension without being if full-on XC mode.  Because of the spring-loaded internals, it is pretty jarring when you extend the post, but I have never had any issues with it.