IGNORED

Police Tape @WC This Morning

CBaron

On 11/11/2021 at 10:29 PM, AntonioGG said:

Interesting that they call it Ski Hill Flow trail.  We used to call the Ski Slope the trail that is now closed which ran parallel to power line.

Ha!  Google maps still shows the old Ski Slope trail!

I reported this to Google, but nothing happened.  Also, so many of the trail names were from the first person who made a map of the trails public, Josh Karnes.  This was around 2001 to 2003. He used to be a MoJo, and he and his Austin area christian mountain biking friends named the trails on their map.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TAF said:

Is it somehow significant that his friends were Christians?

Sure. That is how they identified themselves.  I remember Josh posting up on MoJo asking if there were other Christians who wanted to join their group.  If he belong to, say, a juggling mountain bikers group, I would have IDed them by that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TAF said:

Is it somehow significant that his friends were Christians?

Come to think of it, I think they even had the name of their group on the map.

Edit: Yep, they did.  Check the highlight (mine) at the bottom of the page.  I hope my answers have been satisfactory. 🙂

WC Trail Map AACMB 2002.jpg

Edited by WhoAmI
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

Sure. That is how they identified themselves.  I remember Josh posting up on MoJo asking if there were other Christians who wanted to join their group.  If he belong to, say, a juggling mountain bikers group, I would have IDed them by that.

They're pretty much like vegans and CrossFit people, rapidly self-identify when not really necessary. I guess singlespeeders fit into that group as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The irony of being both a vegan and a singlespeeder who tries to avoid self-identifying is that, when someone makes a joke about how quickly they self-identify, you risk falling into the stereotype by revealing yourself. It's a struggle!

I promise I'm not a crossfitter. You'd also know if I was an "engineer" because I would have made that clear.

Edited by mack_turtle

14 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

Come to think of it, I think they even had the name of their group on the map.

Edit: Yep, they did.  Check the highlight (mine) at the bottom of the page.  I hope my answers have been satisfactory. 🙂

I goggled them, out of interest - don't seem to be active any longer. 

Finally got this sorted out via NextDoor Gracywoods from someone who lives across the street from the trailhead. 

The dog-walker died at the  Lincolnshire trailhead by the dam. For those that aren't familiar with this entrance, it's right at the "Dr." for Lincolnshire Dr. 

Insect stings seem to have been involved. He was walking two dogs; one was found and I don't know if the 2nd dog was located.  The missing dog is said to be a chiweenie (cross between a dachshund  and a chihuahua). 

I'm wondering if the dogs somehow disturbed a ground nest of yellowjackets/hornets. 

North Star Greenbelt was referenced upthread.  It's a paved neighborhood greenbelt under powerlines and not in any way connected to Walnut Creek Park. 

Screenshot 2021-11-19 11.44.45 AM.png

Years ago my brother, a teacher at the time, was with a group of middle school students on a field trip near Killeen.  One of the students managed to disturb a nest of ground hornets and enough kids were stung that it made national news.  I just googled "students stung by hornets on field trip" and it's a more common occurrence than one might think.

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry for that family's loss. 

One of my HS buddies had a coworker die from killer bee stings while hunting in S. Texas.  Not allergies, just sheer number of stings.

I had to look it up, but apparently more people die from either hornets/bees than any other animal (other than humans) attacks.

• Sad 1