IGNORED

Buescher State Park - Smithville Trail Conditions

Ridenfool

Buescher State Park

Trail Map

Took a spin out there to see how things are as I hadn't ridden it since the last fire went through. Most of the old trail has been restored with several new bridges in place. It is a fun, flowy ride with enough elevation change to keep the heart rate up. The surface is a lot like Rocky Hill (about a mile or so away) and was in good condition. There were a couple of fallen trees to portage over, but I'll bet they will be cleared soon enough. I met only one other rider on a rigid Surly who mentioned how he wished he'd brought a bike with suspension as the trail was rougher than he expected a state park trail to be.

After paying the $5 day fee I parked at the trail head on Park Road 1C that goes to Bastrop State park. On the map this is the "P" between marker 5 and 6. It has plenty of room and comes with a view as it overlooks the county to the Southwest.

To maximize the miles I began by riding out on Pine Gulch, staying on the same side of the road as the parking lot, on up to Roosevelt's Cutoff. Crossing the road there and taking the trail to the left which now dead ends at the park road for an out and back. (this used to cross the road and made a fun loop, and hopefully will eventually be restored). Heading back, I rode this trail all the way to the Winding Woodland Trail parking that terminates nearest the entrance of the park for another out and back. Then, returned to the trail head where I parked. This netted just shy of nine miles.

If that is not enough, you can add another 3 miles or so by riding a loop in the other direction, crossing the road first, paralleling it to Roosevelt's Cutoff, then return to the trail head parking on Pine Gulch the other direction, thus getting a respectable 12 miles of riding while only riding one 0.4 mile stretch in the same direction twice.

Note: When you want to get back to the trail head parking, the cutover trail across the road from the trail head isn't marked where it intersects the Winding Woodland Trail. It is quite well hidden behind a tree and other growth, and is easy to miss when riding toward the park entrance. This was not the first time I've missed it. Coming back from the other end I used the bike computer and mileage indicated on the map to know when to start looking for it. A little easier to spot when riding in that direction, but could easily be missed if carrying speed. The park trail map doesn't show paved driveways and a pipeline right of way the trail crosses, which would help locate this connector had they been included on the provided map.

It was a fun ride. There were a few hikers, so keep a lookout. Overall, the trail was in great shape. It might not be worth the trip as a sole destination for a ride, but if you find yourself in the area it is worth the stop and will deliver your $5 worth. With RHR just minutes up the road with many more miles to play on you can camp at Buescher with their nicer amenities, and ride both places over a weekend.

Edited by Ridenfool

• Albert changed the title to Buescher State Park - Smithville Trail Conditions
  • 11 months later...

We live in Bastrop and hiked the trail Monday morning early.  I never got to ride the trail, but was always interested.  Thanks for the preview. We started at the parking lot between markers 5 and 6 and crossed the road and went up Pine Gulch Trail to the dead end and came back and took Roosevelt's Cutoff back to the parking lot.  There was a purple trail going left, but we did not check it out.  The Gulch trail that passed to the right of the Barred Owl Path was pretty sunny, but merciful today.  The section from R's Cutoff back to the parking lot was really beautiful and way more shaded.  It was about a perfect beginner trail.  I need to take my bike next time out.  The day pass in these troubled times is up to $10 and hard to get online.  They must be issuing passes for a max of 30 people at both parks.  Bastrop State Park is really filling up with pine trees now.  The trails are not extensive.  Both parks could use new trails, but are in nice shape.  Bastrop sheds water well and has a concreted golf cart path.  Cart trails are the only trail open to bikes.  The state  passes are only $70 and $25 for the second one.  (They are probably going up too.)  That's the better way to go if you like other state parks as well.  The Reserve America system of reservations does not work as well as the park might hope.  During this period of masks and fear, the parks are a haven.  They just got a bit too popular.

We were at Buescher Monday a week ago.  I went online Sunday evening and reserved a day pass for Monday morning. When we arrived at the park, all the day passes for Monday were filled.  Many of the visitors were not observing mask requirements on the trails. 

• 1 year later...

Thought it good to mention a bridge lost in the fire has been rebuilt. The end of the Pine Gulch trail from Roosevelt's Cutoff intersection on the South side up to crossing the road that finishes the furthest part of the loop has been open again for a while.

The printed map they hand you at the HQ (and is online) still does not show this trail, though it has been added to MTBProject's map of Buescher.

With four crossings of the park road connecting trails on both sides many combinations can be ridden to extend the mileage. It is pretty easy to make an interesting 12 mile loop.

These trails are fun, though be aware there can be hikers and runners sharing the trail at times. Having a ringing bell so they hear you approaching is a big help, that, and riding at a pace as if expecting a pedestrian or other rider to be around the next blind turn is a good idea. Riding during the week, avoiding early morning and after work hours will net the least chance of meeting another trail user. Weekends and holidays are usually busy with hikers, groups, etc.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

I went across that bridge a few weeks ago. Very nice. And yeah, the first mile or so of that trail is massive corridor and hiker hell. After that it turns into nice and somewhat desolate singletrack. 

Now that the milage is lower at RHR I expect some will go for the $15 day of combining RHR and BSP. Or a few may even go for the $25 option

• 4 months later...

Took a ride here this morning. They really are overdue for a trim. Other than this the trails were in good shape, though there is a tree down on Roosevelt with an easy bypass to the left.

By going round and round making a figure 8 of the back sections we racked up a 16 mile ride, saw the same hikers several times, and generally had a great time.

Buescher has some nice trails, and with a little creativity you can get some distance out of them by riding each section in both directions to keep it fresh. I do recommend making as many passes on Roosevelt Cutoff coming from the road crossing end as it is mostly downhill, fast and flowy that way.