Where's the love? I was just out there for a day last week and was blown away by the trails in Franklin Mountains State Park. Imagine Austin tech, with grippy rocks, less trees, and actual mountains.

I'm heading there in Jan for 2 days of riding.  Plan to do the 35 mile loop Barry did (I think it was Franklin Mountains) on day 1 and then find something else to ride on day 2.  Only question is if I ride the 29" HT or the 29" FS bike.  I'm leaning towards the HT with some 2.4 or 2.5 tires.

I'll take both bikes just in case.

Any ideas\suggests are much appreciated.

Remember Juarez is just across the reever. El Paso used to have a reputation for a very high rate of vehicle theft. When I lived in Fort Davis decades back I knew several people who lost their cars while shopping at the Mall there.

Also, El Paso is the home of Pancho's Mexican Buffet, FWIW.

17 hours ago, JRIDER said:

I'm heading there in Jan for 2 days of riding.  Plan to do the 35 mile loop Barry did (I think it was Franklin Mountains) on day 1 and then find something else to ride on day 2.  Only question is if I ride the 29" HT or the 29" FS bike.  I'm leaning towards the HT with some 2.4 or 2.5 tires.

I'll take both bikes just in case.

Any ideas\suggests are much appreciated.

I was glad to be on my fs trail bike. I rode the Mini Puzzler race route (on MTB project) and the was a lot of super chunky extended rock gardens and fast decents punctuated by rough wash out and arroyos. A HT would do it but you'd probably have less fun with more effort.

80% of the people I saw on the trails on at the trailhead had squishy bikes fwiw. 

I'm planning to go back in early January to do the mountain loop too. We parked in Chuck Hendrick Park on the Northeast side of town and didn't worry about the car for a second. It was a nice neighborhood with tons of park goer traffic.

• Like 2

I'm loving all this info.  I have work trips to Juarez in my future (we stay in EP) and was toying with the idea of driving early with my bike.  My biggest concern would be with what to do with the bike during the work week?  I wouldn't want to just leave it in the hotel room during the day.

As long as it isn't a sketchy motel I don't think I'd worry about it. Maybe check with the manager to insure your bike isn't disturbed. You could also just lock it to something in the room and put up the "do not disturb" sign. 

• Like 1

Wife and I are going to do a MTB trip over christmas and have been considering EP, but curious about the weather. If it's too cold/rain/snow we'd be stuck in EP with one of the most boring drives back home. 

Trails look cool though and there's actually some gravity stuff up there too.