IGNORED

Youtubiness

On 12/9/2019 at 6:24 PM, throet said:

I've seen a lot of bad-ass MTB stunts, but never thought I'd see anything like this. 

I saw this on my Instagram feed. That is pretty impressive. Semenuk did similar roll in to a drop but without the flip. He was using a free hub that allowed the bike to roll backwards without spinning the pedals.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chief said:

I saw this on my Instagram feed. That is pretty impressive. Semenuk did similar roll in to a drop but without the flip. He was using a free hub that allowed the bike to roll backwards without spinning the pedals.

It's called a freecoaster. BMX riders have been using them of decades and they've recently caught on in mtb for stuff like this. I don't know how the mtb ones work, but the BMX hubs use a totally different drive mechanism with a clutch like a coaster brake. In fact, the original freecoasters were just coaster brake hubs with the brake mechanism disabled.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief said:

What am I missing?  I didn't see him rolling backwards...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I was hoping this is a joke, but apparently not.

Solid 4.5 out of 5 stars. My only critique is that it got a little too introspective in the middle. They probably could have cut the bubble blowing scene, the staring at rocks scene, or one of the multiple taking sunglasses off and on scenes and replaced them with more motherfucking SOAPING!!!  .........or dying. 

Edited by notyal
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, olddbrider said:

What am I missing?  I didn't see him rolling backwards...

He spun around like he was gonna roll backwards but used the pedals to start the backflip. Was just saying it was similar to something Semenuk did. 1:00 minute mark.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2019 at 7:49 AM, mack_turtle said:

It's called a freecoaster. BMX riders have been using them of decades and they've recently caught on in mtb for stuff like this. I don't know how the mtb ones work, but the BMX hubs use a totally different drive mechanism with a clutch like a coaster brake. In fact, the original freecoasters were just coaster brake hubs with the brake mechanism disabled.

Back in my HH days I had a mechanic that built up a geared DJ bike with a free coaster setup.  Sorta geared at least....he used a Hope SS hub which has a mini-freehub body (5 cogs?).  Then he added a range of cogs to the hub with one of them being a "dummy cog" to where when he shifted into that "gear" it just spun freely.  The dummy cog, I recall, was a cog from a cassette that had had all the teeth ground off of it.

Later, -CJB

• Like 2

First ride back from injury and Yoann says he's taking it easy, blue trails only. Commencal puts him on a city bike to make sure he doesn't push the limits on his first ride back. Yoann rides double-black lines on city bike. This guy is nuts!

Edited by throet
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 6:50 AM, Chief said:

He was using a free hub that allowed the bike to roll backwards without spinning the pedals.

When I was a young kid around 1980, I wanted a freewheel hub, because it seemed like all the "good" bikes had them.... I couldn't afford such a bike at the time, So I pulled my coaster brake hub apart to see how it worked... I found that if you just removed the arc-shaped brake shoes, it would freewheel... of course, it was still heavy and the forward engagement still sucked, but I still felt cool, and no more locking up the back wheel on hard landings 😁. Plus, there was no back-pedal when rolling in reverse! I also discovered that removing the arm that attached to the frame would allow you to engage in reverse (with the shoes still installed)... When I got into freestyle, I kept rear coaster brake mags around converted each way for tricks... then a few years later ACS came out with the RL Edge Hub, which behaved like a coaster brake hub without brake shoes, except better engagement (and they made an obnoxious, embarrassing moaning noise when coasting, lol). That was almost 35 years ago, so I'd imagine there are lots of perfected options nowadays...

school-bmx-acs-rl-osborn-freecoaster_1_dc778aa56843ed598c243c9988d21974.jpg

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Tip said:

Note to self:  When taking jumps, make sure rear tire hits first. Seems to be a recurring theme here, right?

These videos make me very nervous. You just know there are videos out there that show some really bad stuff happening to people. 

No doubt!