IGNORED

Youtubiness

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Looks like they ran outta that Walken money and went anime on this one. Bike's pretty cool though.

Walken was only for the Jeffsy. They do something a bit different for each. Most recent before Izzo was for Decoy. 

And before Jeffsy/Walken was The Goat

Edited by jcarneytx

• 2 weeks later...

There have been several discussions here and on Mojo about "flow", usually started by people complaining that a trail or trail feature does not... I've always maintained that much flow comes from the rider and how they read and work the trail, and not necessarily from the trail builder, and if you are expecting the trail to provide the flow, you are doing it wrong and missing out. This video presents a profound analogy of reading a trail like reading music...

It's not on Youtube though, so not sure if this will embed

GMBN on fb

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 2

I think it's a bit of both... In surfing, you can't ride a short choppy wave that spikes quickly the same way you can a long clean wave that builds slowly. They're just two different waves that require two different approaches. And i think mtb trails are kind of the same... Some have more smooth flow, others more choppy and broken up. But your mindset when riding either can certainly have flow to it... I think this is what is called getting into the zone in sports... You're just so focused on what you doing it becomes like an extension of your body and nature.

I've found that riding in the evenings, at dusk — when you could use a light, but you can still kind of see even if you don't — has always been a favorite time for me to ride... Because the sun has gone down there are not the distinct shadows that help you distinguish shapes. This means that you have to ride even more by feel and intuition than you may while riding earlier in the day. Riding at dusk with no light was something I did often when I first started riding back in the mid-'90s... There was a park with a trail near to where I lived, so I was able to get home from work and quickly head out to it to get in a ride before sunset (when the park officially closed), but I knew the ranger and he'd let me finish my ride, so I'd be out there at dusk day after day. I think this influenced how I learned to ride even during the day... By getting into the zone, riding by feel. Which may be why I prefer to ride by myself, and without music.

I check out this channel every once in a while because for some reason I find it really interesting watching them start with a chunk of steel and end up with something cool, functional, and (usually) beautiful.  I hadn't checked it out in a while and when hopped on this morning I saw that he's starting a project to build his own mountain bike.  Based on prior projects, I expect he'll make a bunch of mistakes.  But he's pretty meticulous, so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.  Based on his experience buying grips you'll quickly see that he is a total noob.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...