IGNORED

Youtubiness

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Awful.  Y’all have see Jess Blewitt’s crash right?  Seemed so innocuous. 

Yeah man, that was scary AF. Was disappointed on the lack of reporting on her condition afterwards. Looks like she's going to be okay, but that was a life changing crash for sure.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Awful.  Y’all have see Jess Blewitt’s crash right?  Seemed so innocuous. 

Had not heard about it but just now searched and you are spot on. No massive air, no huge boulders. Seems she was simply going too fast to squash that lip. Was it a matter of not realizing it was there or what? I'm assuming most riders were just hitting it and clearing that gap. Very odd!  

Edited by throet
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, chuckt said:

They were tripeling that. Instead of squashing the lip, I think she mistimed her pull/hop or what ever they were doing at that speed.

Yes, they were gapping those and she mistimed it, and landed in the transition. Sucked so bad

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

I saw her do something similar earlier.  She was doing something with her front wheel like landing on it.  It was defiantly odd.  I heard her scream and was glad Red Bull was classy enough to immediately turn the camera away.

My thought as I finished the race was that she had broken her neck, after once I looked online, I was glad to hear it was a bunch of fractures and none on her neck.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, 4fun said:

That is incredible fitness!

This reminds me of why I don't want to race. I have little interest in jockeying for position at the start of an event, not getting to ride "my line," but having to ride the line that available, or having some guy yelling to pass me, only to ride his axle for next couple of miles. I make some exception for endurance events. 

And dang, have a look at 2:56! He damn near ate tire. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barry said:

This reminds me of why I don't want to race. I have little interest in jockeying for position at the start of an event, not getting to ride "my line," but having to ride the line that available, or having some guy yelling to pass me, only to ride his axle for next couple of miles. I make some exception for endurance events. 

And dang, have a look at 2:56! He damn near ate tire. 

Yeah, I was thinking "this looks miserable" the whole time.

That’s the best part of racing!  Cars or bikes!  Anything else is like masturbation:  fun but not the real thing.

I’ve actually had issues with people when they are backed up at what I consider not even an obstacle and I find a harder line that lets me pass them.  They are surprised and upset at me, I just tell them it’s a fucking race.  For sure endurance is different than sprint races.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

That’s the best part of racing!  Cars or bikes!  Anything else is like masturbation:  fun but not the real thing.

I’ve actually had issues with people when they are backed up at what I consider not even an obstacle and I find a harder line that lets me pass them.  They are surprised and upset at me, I just tell them it’s a fucking race.  For sure endurance is different than sprint races.

My old riding buddy Nick was an adventure racer that liked to race TMBRA too back in the 90’s to early 00’s. Every Rocky Hill Race the roadies would haul ass across the field to the water tank hill then bog it up at that little drop zone gully below the camp ground. Nick would piss them off by shouldering his bike and running all the way up thru the camp ground to the gate at the top where fat chucks starts. What really pissed them off was not only was he fast on foot but he’d laugh like a madman at everyone that hollered at him. 

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2021 at 6:06 AM, Chongo Loco said:

My old riding buddy Nick was an adventure racer that liked to race TMBRA too back in the 90’s to early 00’s. Every Rocky Hill Race the roadies would haul ass across the field to the water tank hill then bog it up at that little drop zone gully below the camp ground. Nick would piss them off by shouldering his bike and running all the way up thru the camp ground to the gate at the top where fat chucks starts. What really pissed them off was not only was he fast on foot but he’d laugh like a madman at everyone that hollered at him. 

I remember Nick well.  He was a character for sure!

-CJB

On 10/18/2021 at 11:37 AM, AntonioGG said:

I guess I'm one of the weirdos who thinks that looks exhilarating and fun!  I loved his starting strategy.  His whole race is an example of good fitness and some ballz!  During the 1st 1/3 of the video, I bet many of those riders could have gone faster...but they were simply being lulled into keeping the rhythm of the rider in front of them.  BUT THIS DUDE was having none of that!  But you could tell that about halfway through the video, he was running up on more quality of riders.  Overall his style reminded me very much of my (motorcycle) hare scramble racing days.  On the MX trails nobody gave an inch and you had to JAM your way into the turns, courtesy and etiquette be damned!   I'd like to know if they were riding the course blind or not??

Cheers,
CJB

Edited by CBaron
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, CBaron said:

I'd like to know if they were riding the course blind or not??

I'd say there's no way the dude in the video was riding blind. He seemed to know every go-around, b-line, or unpopular a-line available to make passes on the other riders. And they all worked out. If you're riding blind, some of those alternate lines are going to be dead enders.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 11:37 AM, AntonioGG said:

Man, that was a riot! Dude is in insane shape! That was like a hair scramble of MTB racing...

On 10/19/2021 at 9:24 AM, Barry said:

Same here, I did a couple of "XC" races in the early 90's with mass starts, and if you can't get to the front of the pack before the single track started, it was nothing but frustration. I would have been much better suited for enduro format, had it existed for MTB. In hind site though, I was just too polite; if I did it all over again with my current attitude, I wouldn't have made any friends 😁

2 hours ago, Barry said:

I'd say there's no way the dude in the video was riding blind. He seemed to know every go-around, b-line, or unpopular a-line available to make passes on the other riders. And they all worked out. If you're riding blind, some of those alternate lines are going to be dead enders.

Nope, either that or he took some serious risks without knowing if a line would pan-out, like 6:11 and 6:36... but he knew exactly where to go without hesitation.

Edited by gotdurt

...or maybe he's at such a level that there are no risky lines. This sent me down a worm hole of his races, didn't realize that he was a 3-time Elite world champion DH racer, but then all foreign names start to look the same to me... here he is doing a RB Foxhunt with Gee Atherton and Greg Callaghan. It's basically the same thing; start from outside and behind the pack (550 in this case), and see if you can get to the front...

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1