IGNORED

For you guys with back problems

ATXZJ

Herniated disk at L5/S1 (right above hip bone). When it swells bad and compresses my spinal cord it can also shoot down my butt like sciatica. Couple of add ons to all above.

For me biking generally helps loosen things up, but I had to get real cognizant about my pedaling. My issues are right at hip so I have to watch my form when I get tired. The habit when glutes get tired is to drive your foot forward by rocking your hips forward. Contorting the spine really aggravates my back.  I have to concentrate on driving with my toes to engage my quads more. I started on the road in the 80’s and still have my ancient rollers so I hop on them occasionally to get my pedal stroke even again. Mashing and twisting to get up stuff is a lower back killer. 

And all the core stuff, don’t just do forward / back motion stuff.  Side planks, and the ones where you rotate your hand across your body and under tremendously strengthen side muscles. It really help me when my form breaks down and contort my back so I don’t pay as heavy a toll. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Chongo Loco said:

. My issues are right at hip so I have to watch my form when I get tired. The habit when glutes get tired is to drive your foot forward by rocking your hips forward. Contorting the spine really aggravates my back.  

Funny you mention that. I came across this video about cycling and the spine and how saddle position can really impact lower back issues. I am guilty of rocking my saddle rearward in more of a DH position instead of nose-down, thus rocking my hips forward. In my experience this just put more strain on my wrists but i was also using the wrong pedaling technique at the time. Gonna revisit the saddle position when I get back on the bike.

Any of you guys seen this one?

• Thanks 1

I do a good many of those from my PT sessions. Not the first but the second, rocking backwards on all 4’s,  really stretches things though it seems like nothing when you first do it. Video doesn’t tell you to stop going back when your tailbone starts to roll under. I also do one where you press the small of your back into cushion and hold for 30 sec, which is similar to one in video. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

Any of you guys own/try an inversion table?

PT suggested I pick one up and they seem like they would be beneficial. Also may not be. 

*Shrugs

I have not used one, but that seems like one of those things that tons of people buy, use a few times, then allow to gather dust in the house for years before posting on Craigslist for a few bucks.

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2021 at 6:25 PM, crazyt said:

airrosti was very helpful for me. I normally am skeptical of all things like Jthat. But they did a little massage and exercises and my problem went away fast.

I do a lot of jiu jitsu and flexibility and strength training to build the core really help a lot.

@crazyt,

Which Airrosti location and person did you visit?  I just checked the website out and this may be a good fit for some of my knee (& back) issues that I've been dealing with lately.  I may be paying in cash and want to make sure I can get the best person possible so I don't waste $$ and a visit.

THanks
CJB

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Any of you guys own/try an inversion table?

PT suggested I pick one up and they seem like they would be beneficial. Also may not be. 

*Shrugs

My ex-coach swore by it.  He is retired Canadian Special Forces (now retired coach) and did tons of parachute drops so his spine was very compressed.

For me, personally I can get relief sometimes just hanging from my arms on the inside corner of our kitchen countertop.  I prop myself up on it while I lean slightly forward and I get a good pop and feel instant relief.  I don't think my issue is a bulging disk though.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AntonioGG said:

My ex-coach swore by it.  He is retired Canadian Special Forces (now retired coach) and did tons of parachute drops so his spine was very compressed.

For me, personally I can get relief sometimes just hanging from my arms on the inside corner of our kitchen countertop.  I prop myself up on it while I lean slightly forward and I get a good pop and feel instant relief.  I don't think my issue is a bulging disk though.

I forgot to add he also was really into BJJ.

17 hours ago, CBaron said:

@crazyt,

Which Airrosti location and person did you visit?  I just checked the website out and this may be a good fit for some of my knee (& back) issues that I've been dealing with lately.  I may be paying in cash and want to make sure I can get the best person possible so I don't waste $$ and a visit.

THanks
CJB

Cody,

I went to an Airrosti Therapist in Cedar Park after I ruined my lower back prior to the EB in 2012.   It looks like that location is not longer there or has moved to the new location on the website and I do not remember the name of the person I saw.  My issues were cause by overly tight (shortened) leg and hip muscles which pulled the pelvis out of alignment.  I still use the foam roller, and handball pressure point release techniques to this day.  I have also found that much of the current lower back aches I have now is from a sedentary job, inactive glues, and poor core strength.

I would recommend looking into it, and if someone can give you a current good reference on a location and therapist I would take the chance.

-Damon

• Like 2

I've gone to the Airrosti place on Brodie (at Davis). The technician, or manipulator, or whatever you call the person that does the procedures, is a guy that is big enough to do the things they do effectively. Straight forward too, "ok, this is going to hurt." lol

I've proselytized about Airrosti to lot of folks. I know they can't cure everything, but they fixed my long suffering shoulder quickly. They brag about that too. "We'll fix your problem on average in 3.2 visits." Or something like that. Not like some chiropractors that have you coming twice a week for the rest of your life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2021 at 11:04 AM, The Tip said:

I've gone to the Airrosti place on Brodie (at Davis). The technician, or manipulator, or whatever you call the person that does the procedures, is a guy that is big enough to do the things they do effectively. Straight forward too, "ok, this is going to hurt." lol

I've proselytized about Airrosti to lot of folks. I know they can't cure everything, but they fixed my long suffering shoulder quickly. They brag about that too. "We'll fix your problem on average in 3.2 visits." Or something like that. Not like some chiropractors that have you coming twice a week for the rest of your life.

At my wits end with the PT at BSW. I'm going to get in touch with Airrosti on Brodie next week.

Thanks guys for all the guidance.

-Marcus

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

At my wits end with the PT at BSW. I'm going to get in touch with Airrosti on Brodie next week.

Thanks guys for all the guidance.

-Marcus

About time you came to your senses😂. Good luck hope it helps. It should because it appears they address what other chiropractors don't, which is soft tissue manipulation (not the kind you're thinking of)😂.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks to @The Tip, @CBaronand @crazyt and others for the heads up on Airrosti. Stopped by the Brodie location Monday and have an appointment scheduled first week of January. Pinched nerve has pushed my patience to it's limits.

Also, thanks to @John for the deal on the inversion table. Lemme know what you think of those clown shoes brews😎

• Like 1

Gene Hamilton, the Better Ride Clinic guy, has suffered with debilitating back pain and recommends this simple exercise:  Mountain Biking and Back Pain: the Final Piece of the Puzzle 

This article has links to other exercises as well. 

Mountain Biking and Back Pain, The Final Piece of the Puzzle!

Edited by June Bug
  • Thanks 1

I have spondlesosis  sp?  When I was 13 discovered I had stress fractures in l4 l5.  They don't ever go away.  

I've found if my saddle position is slightly too high my back will hurt.  Look at how high the pros have their saddles.  Most amatur riders have it too high.  Especially short men.  When it's too high your hips will rock back and forth.  

Stretching back muscles and calves before every ride helps.  It also helps my hamstring pain that came about.  I think connect to the stress fractures.  Oval chainrings and more forward saddle position have helped that.  

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 8:23 AM, ATXZJ said:

Thanks to @The Tip, @CBaronand @crazyt and others for the heads up on Airrosti. Stopped by the Brodie location Monday and have an appointment scheduled first week of January. Pinched nerve has pushed my patience to it's limits.

Also, thanks to @John for the deal on the inversion table. Lemme know what you think of those clown shoes brews😎

Please give us an update on how it works out for you. Im interested. 

15 hours ago, sherpaxc said:

Please give us an update on how it works out for you. Im interested. 

Will do

Finally seeing a pain management doctor on thursday. Hopefully pessimistic on the outcome of the visit as I dont want pills, just answers. We shall see.

Lastly, can say the inversion table is freaking fantastic. Currently doing 5 minutes, three times daily.

• 1 year later...
On 12/26/2021 at 11:29 AM, ATXZJ said:

...Lastly, can say the inversion table is freaking fantastic. Currently doing 5 minutes, three times daily.

glad the table is working out. Since you asked, those beers were not my cup of tea. Or beer. 😞