IGNORED

Best Place to ride after a rain storm?

Urban ride

Veggie Buffet (EB with out the trails)

Trainer

Pedal Hard

I might be wrong but the forecast makes it sound like they are expecting at least 3 inches of rain maybe as much as 6 inches. I doubt even RPR would be tolerable with that much rain that is forecast to end sometime Saturday.

Use the link in this thread to check rainfall accumulation at Rocky Hill (78957). If under an inch total with a day or more to recover it might be okay. Rocky Hill can have a few sloppy spots in sections with clay after a rain. The gravel and sandy surface over most of the trails will drain well and can be ridden without much concern a day or more after a rain.  You may accumulate some mud, but won't do much harm to the trail. (they ran the 24 Hours of RHR the day after a big rain this year)

I'd wager you wouldn't be the only one pre-riding the course on Sunday.

Reveille Peak Ranch is still your best bet if you want to come out with a clean bike. :classic_biggrin:

7 hours ago, cxagent said:

I doubt even RPR would be tolerable with that much rain that is forecast to end sometime Saturday.

Actually RPR will be fine. Not sure if folks remember the rains in Oct of 2015 during the Formula One weekend, but in some areas it rained 12" in 6 hours. They considered it a 2,300 year event. I had a buddy in town and we rode at RPR that Sunday after they had gotten 14" of rain over the prior 2 days, and it was perfectly fine. I'm planning to head out there this Sunday with my friend Jay from West Virginia who is here selling Xmas trees (Papa Noel). 

11 minutes ago, taco_junkie said:

There are more of these that I thought. https://raysmtb.com/

I'll be on the road or a trainer this weekend. Rain just opened up on S. Lamar.

That place is awesome. I grew up in the midwest, and Ray's opened when I was in college. A few buddies and I made the 6 hour drive once or twice a year for five or six years straight. It was a great way to spend a weekend, and really helped me learn to jump, ride skinnies, and a lot of the little techy stuff that you don't often stop to practice on a normal trail ride. By the end of the weekend we could barely walk, and couldn't stop smiling :)

There's a lot less market for something like that down here though, since we don't have to put up with 3 months of gray slush when it's tough to get out on trails.

Anyone remember the name of an indoor skatepark in Austin 10-15 years ago? I recall visiting on in the summer of 03 but can't remember where it was.

I'd certainly session an indoor bike park when it's 104 out.

I still think that some rideable terrain under a highway overpass would be fun of it stays somewhat dry. I can think of a few spots...

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, schoolie said:

There's a lot less market for something like that down here though, since we don't have to put up with 3 months of gray slush when it's tough to get out on trails.

Lived in snow country too and can say 3-4 mos of 100+ heat is just as bad.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Anyone remember the name of an indoor skatepark in Austin 10-15 years ago? I recall visiting on in the summer of 03 but can't remember where it was.

I'd certainly session an indoor bike park when it's 104 out.

I still think that some rideable terrain under a highway overpass would be fun of it stays somewhat dry. I can think of a few spots...

I used to go to Ramp Ranch, but not sure if that was the one you were thinking of.

29 minutes ago, csmceuen said:

I used to go to Ramp Ranch, but not sure if that was the one you were thinking of.

That might be it. Where was that? My knowledge of Austin geography in 2003 is useless now. Liberty Hill? I think I recall driving for a while to get there.

Edited by mack_turtle

16 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

That might be it. Where was that? My knowledge of Austin geography in 2003 is useless now. Liberty Hill? I think I recall driving for a while to get there.

Taylor IIRC. The Empire So Sick Man Jam out there was my first trip to Austin, in 2004  I think. They went under a while back, for various reasons. Skatepark of Austin was actually in town, near Cameron and 290, and went out of business too. Rising rent costs back around 2010. 

I'd be down for a skills park under the highway. My first thoughts would be where SATN crosses under Mopac near DN, but VCT construction probably makes that less then ideal right now. And someone would probably run over the jumps with their big 4X4 after too long.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Yep it was up in Liberty Hill. I used to live in the Georgetown area and I was there pretty much every weekend for years.