IGNORED

Best Place to ride after a rain storm?

Mopac underpass at waters park should be plenty big. Call it an extension of Walnut Creek...

Anyone remember the name of an indoor skatepark in Austin 10-15 years ago? I recall visiting on in the summer of 03 but can't remember where it was.
I'd certainly session an indoor bike park when it's 104 out.
I still think that some rideable terrain under a highway overpass would be fun of it stays somewhat dry. I can think of a few spots...

On 12/5/2018 at 6:21 PM, throet said:

Actually RPR will be fine. Not sure if folks remember the rains in Oct of 2015 during the Formula One weekend, but in some areas it rained 12" in 6 hours. They considered it a 2,300 year event. I had a buddy in town and we rode at RPR that Sunday after they had gotten 14" of rain over the prior 2 days, and it was perfectly fine. I'm planning to head out there this Sunday with my friend Jay from West Virginia who is here selling Xmas trees (Papa Noel). 

If you go on Sunday, please let us know what you found. You might even tell us how your drive train held up after you get back a ride once or twice after a wet RPR ride.

Everybody has a different level of "tolerance" for conditions. Some people don't mind heat. Some people can't bear heat. Some people don't mind cold. Some people can't bear cold. Some people don't mind wet trail. Some people even enjoy wet trail. At least at RPR riding wet trail does not damage the trail much. 

3 hours ago, ecoastjohn said:

So now that we're through the weather the rain accumulation shows Burnet getting about 2".

How likely is RPR to be rideable tomorrow?  Also, throet, if you're still going give me a PM if you'd like to show me around there.

Thanks,

It will be fine. I'm not sure yet that I will be going but I will PM you if I do. Are you planning morning or afternoon? 

Nah, I trusted the recommendations of several people and went out.  It was a fantastic day on the bike.  I had to continually remind my brain to ignore the water on the rocks.  Never slipped a single time.  It's hard for my brain to grasp!  

Great day on the bike for sure.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone got the low-down on:

Pace Bend (Edit: Got it straight from the Wookie. Too wet.)

Madrone (Thanks Natas1321 for the update. Too wet.)

Flat Rock  (Edit: Jimmy posted on his site that "things are mostly dry this afternoon" on Jan 3. )

Edited by Ridenfool
Updated trail status

10 hours ago, cxagent said:

The trail will not be damaged so go for it. You might even ride thru some big puddles.

Watch out for wet / slippery rocks. And watch out for dirt bikes (motorcycles).

City park is totally destroyed right now.  There are dozens and dozens of big deep puddles everywhere.  Every single corner that you'd hit at >3mph has a deep puddle the whole way around.  

I guess you could technically ride it, but it'll be slow and crappy.

FRR is too far for me to drive to tomorrow, so, looks like another weekend without a ride, unless I do the 4 miles of paved and dirt "around the block" here on the border of two counties.

Hope the Excruciation Exam riders made it out of RHR and back to Bluff Creek Ranch today without too much of the trail stuck to them.

Got the pedals and tires installed, along with a MuckyNutz fender up front just in case rain becomes a permanent thing.  Now looking for a Binford  handlebar mounted trail dryer attachment.

Edited by Ridenfool

That's too much like riding road. What if somebody recognized me? The embarrassment would be too much. Though that 4 mile loop around the block does have a gravel section. It is just so boring for me to ride on roads.

Maybe now's the time to spend a few hours in the yard working on hops, wheelies, and that sort of thing. 😎

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kyle said:

City park is totally destroyed right now.  There are dozens and dozens of big deep puddles everywhere.  Every single corner that you'd hit at >3mph has a deep puddle the whole way around.  

I guess you could technically ride it, but it'll be slow and crappy.

I'm not sure that "destroyed right now" is a good description. It's a place that has supported heavy motocross use for decades. When it dries up it will essentially be the same as it's always been - a fun and challenging place to ride. I didn't count the puddles yesterday, but indeed there were plenty. I still hit plenty of corners at > 3mph that didn't have puddles or had small puddles. My summary from riding it yesterday is that you can ride 100% of the descents and 90% of the climbs the same way you would when it's dry. Probably 50% or more of the flat sections are excessively wet but I didn't encounter anything I wasn't willing to ride through. I did come across one ledge on a flat section that was blocked with washed-up debris and I stopped to toss that off the trail. It's far from ideal, but it was certainly more enjoyable than peddling on pavement. Oh and it really helped having a brand-new Magic Mary up front!  

• Like 1