IGNORED

Best Place to ride after a rain storm?

On 1/23/2019 at 3:25 PM, Chongo Loco said:

It just the usual nastiness from Cedar Breaks to the first stone mile marker from hiker traffic? Usually gets narrower and less muddy after that point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The entire trail was damp and all the rocks were slick.

Granted, there is rain in the forecast, but, looking at the details it seems to be merely one hundredth of an inch each day. Essentially, a heavy dew.

With this in mind, what are the current conditions of area trails? I'd like to go get some strange this weekend. Pace Bend? Brushy? Canyon Lake Madrone?

Word?

RPR is on the list of considerations for some day soon. Only snag is I may want to stay Sunday night wherever I choose to go and the RPR policy specifies camping being available only for Friday and Saturday nights.

Flat Creek is looking promising. Watching for Jimmy to update the conditions.

Haven't been to either of those places in a long time and both have new-to-me trails to explore.

2 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

RPR is on the list of considerations for some day soon. Only snag is I may want to stay Sunday night wherever I choose to go and the RPR policy specifies camping being available only for Friday and Saturday nights.

Haven't been to either of those places in a long time and both have new-to-me trails to explore.

I'm pretty sure we are going to RPR Sunday for sure. We've got to ride before I loose it

• Like 1

Canyon of the Eagles is just up the road from RPR for camping or nice rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Browndog said:

Canyon of the Eagles is just up the road from RPR for camping or nice rooms.

Looks like Canyon of the Eagles is a private park, but they do have camping for $30 / tent spot, and $45 (weekday) or $49 (weekends) / RV spot a night. (kinda pricey)

Inks Lake is the closest state park, and is a little closer to RPR than Canyon of the Eagles. Camping prices range from $11 to $23 a night.

I am starting to lean toward driving out to Inks, get a campsite. Head to RPR for a ride and then back to Inks for the night. I could pick up something on the way home on Monday that has a good report over the weekend, like Muleshoe, Pace Bend, Reimers, or some ATX trail.

Edited by Ridenfool

27 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

Looks like Canyon of the Eagles is a private park, but they do have camping for $30 / tent spot and $45 (weekday) or $49 (weekends) / RV spot a night. (kinda pricey)

Inks Lake is the closest state park, and is a little closer to RPR than Canyon of the Eagles. Camping prices range from $11 to $23 a night.

I heard somewhere that Inks Lake has some underrated riding. If it's made of that same water resistant granite magic dirt, that could be a fun change from RPR. 

4 minutes ago, notyal said:

I heard somewhere that Inks Lake has some underrated riding. If it's made of that same water resistant granite magic dirt, that could be a fun change from RPR. 

Their map and descriptions don't mention bikes. I think these are hiking-only trails. But you're probably right about the composition being water proof.

17 minutes ago, Barry said:

Trail Forks shows a little under 3 miles of singletrack that it says is for biking and describes as technical. 

A call to check with Crystal at Inks Lake confirmed their trails are hiking only.

Because sites like MTBProject and Trail Forks have volunteer contributed content the trail may have been posted by someone who rode it unaware of this.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1