IGNORED

Walnut - Concrete Trail Segment Construction thread

cmc4130

1 hour ago, Bart said:

I quit the Nut on weekends after going over the bars, after a big off leash Rottweiler took me out on Tangle, and then getting yelled at by a Jersey Shore couple last yr. 

Yeah, I was shaking down a new singlespeed and didn't want to drive all the way up to ninja. Just needed somewhere flat-ish to get all of the tweaking done. With rain on the horizon, it was the only real choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Some substantial footings are going in for a bridge across Walnut, and the pathway has been cleared under Lamar heading eastbound. I guess it will follow the creek east until the point where it crosses under I-35. This is a view pointing due east - that's the Lamar bridge across Walnut.

IMG_20220209_122235969.thumb.jpg.3e9a8f54a1309be65bf36f81e007097e.jpg

• 1 month later...

Pretty sure a loop from my house, down to the lake, through Guerrero, over the Monopolies bridge, up the SWCT to WC, then over to the north trail, down the Mopac frontage and Shoal Creek back to my house would be an awesome loop. My guess is that it would be 50+ miles with lots of uninterrupted biking. Sign me up!

• Like 2

Not sure yet, that will become a problem to tackle once the trails are done. Parmer has a sidewalk on the south side starting at about Yeager, but I do not know enough about that area yet.

I know I have gone up the sidewalk on 183 from 51st back to Burnet. It's not fun but it is rideable.

1 hour ago, June Bug said:

That's the problem right there.  How would you navigate from the end of the SWCT over to north WC?

Here is the route Chuck and I took the other day to get from Decker Lake to Walnut Creek. It requires riding for a relatively short distance on a narrow two lane road with no shoulder for a bit. We were passed by one car on Blue Goose and three or four on Sprinkle Cutoff. 

Edit: This was the actual ride.  The other one I created to upload to my Elemnt.

Edited by WhoAmI

6 hours ago, June Bug said:

That's the problem right there.  How would you navigate from the end of the SWCT over to north WC?

This week the city will finalize a contract with a design firm to design the trail from SWCT up to across 35 from tceq/Girl Scouts. We are hoping to go to construction on a large swath within the next two years. I'm the city PM for the project so i've got all the inside baseball. 

We will do a lot of new stuff (trail in the MoKan corridor, and along the west edge of pioneer farms), but there is a route that would parallel our route on existing roads. Not generally safe for the all ages all abilities crowd, but it's all ridable now for an experienced rider.

image.thumb.png.e60953865b98019af2d484340ecbcde9.png

Edited by Mattlikesbikes
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 2:55 PM, TAF said:

Some substantial footings are going in for a bridge across Walnut, and the pathway has been cleared under Lamar heading eastbound. I guess it will follow the creek east until the point where it crosses under I-35. This is a view pointing due east - that's the Lamar bridge across Walnut.

IMG_20220209_122235969.thumb.jpg.3e9a8f54a1309be65bf36f81e007097e.jpg

The trail will currently end at the Walnut Bluffs Trailhead, as we cannot find a way across the creek from there. I'm working hard on it, but connecting to ih35 is many years away. Shortly the city will be adding a bike/ped lane on the Lamar bridge that will get you over to Walnut Park Crossing and TCEQ/Girl Scouts/Park35. 

It's happening. Slowly.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

The trail will currently end at the Walnut Bluffs Trailhead, as we cannot find a way across the creek from there.

Is this an issue with physically crossing the creek, or an issue with finding available space on each side in order to cross? Just curious.

7 minutes ago, TAF said:

Is this an issue with physically crossing the creek, or an issue with finding available space on each side in order to cross? Just curious.

This is a city requirement of no adverse impact on private property in the flood plain issue. We have a design and a selection of locations, it's just a watershed issue now. We are working on mitigation options, but there are not many as the floodplain is so low right there.

5 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

This is a city requirement of no adverse impact on private property in the flood plain issue. We have a design and a selection of locations, it's just a watershed issue now. We are working on mitigation options, but there are not many as the floodplain is so low right there.

I used to work for Watershed Protection, about 20 years ago - probably most of my co-workers have retired by now.

15 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

Here is the route Chuck and I took the other day to get from Decker Lake to Walnut Creek. It requires riding for a relatively short distance on a narrow two lane road with no shoulder for a bit. We were passed by one car on Blue Goose and three or four on Sprinkle Cutoff. 

Edit: This was the actual ride.  The other one I created to upload to my Elemnt.

This is exactly what I was thinking, basically a 50 mile loop. Maybe the JF100 will be resurrected and we just do 2 laps and call it a day.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 3:33 PM, WhoAmI said:

I've ridden Blue Goose.  It was a bit scary and desolate.  I'd rather ride harris branch all the way to parmer on the sidewalks/multi-use path.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I've ridden Blue Goose.  It was a bit scary and desolate.  I'd rather ride harris branch all the way to parmer on the sidewalks/multi-use path.

I wouldn't ride BG during rush hour or on weekends.  We were riding through it late morning on a Friday.  And I do understand needing to ride on sidewalks from time to time, but, I don't want to spend a lot of time on them b/c they don't provide the experience I am seeking and cars consistently block them and are not looking for cyclists.  Also, if there are any pedestrians, our disparate speed is a concern for me.  Lastly, I stopped riding Parmer unless it's absolutely necessary.

Edited by WhoAmI
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For the Little Walnut Creek Park, I saw this post on instagram:

We are pleased to announce the City of Austin is hosting a pop up event alongside @camachoactivitycenter @austinridgeriders at Little Walnut Creek Park. This is a celebration of what is likely going to the very first professionally built and fully sanctioned MTB trail system/park in Austin, Tx. This is not a work day. Bring your bike or some hiking boots. We will be there on Saturday, May 21st at 11:00 a.m. Location is 51st street park entrance across from Senate Hills.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdG__O9FjQk/

• Like 2