IGNORED

Local bike box rentals

Barry

aka THANKS TREK!

Who is renting out good bike boxes these days? I didn't see anything on Peddler's, Velorangutan nor Cycle Progression's site.  

BSS used to rent great and modern bike boxes for $10 a day. Easy-peasy. Trek offers no such thing...but they'll give me a couple of cardboard boxes...no thanks. I have those.  Luckily MJs has plenty of bike boxes for $10 a day! It's those old Thule hard cases, so it'll work great for your road bike, or your 2000's geo 26er mountain bike. I remember my 2006 Giant Reign barely fitting in it, so there's no way a modern bike will fit. 

We need 2 and our next Vegas trip departs in 13 days, so the clock is ticking. Worst case scenario I can go the cardboard route. But I do have a generous buddy with a nice Evoc box. So if I buy a new box, I only need to buy one for now. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Barry said:

aka THANKS TREK!

Who is renting out good bike boxes these days? I didn't see anything on Peddler's, Velorangutan nor Cycle Progression's site.  

BSS used to rent great and modern bike boxes for $10 a day. Easy-peasy. Trek offers no such thing...but they'll give me a couple of cardboard boxes...no thanks. I have those.  Luckily MJs has plenty of bike boxes for $10 a day! It's those old Thule hard cases, so it'll work great for your road bike, or your 2000's geo 26er mountain bike. I remember my 2006 Giant Reign barely fitting in it, so there's no way a modern bike will fit. 

We need 2 and our next Vegas trip departs in 13 days, so the clock is ticking. Worst case scenario I can go the cardboard route. But I do have a generous buddy with a nice Evoc box. So if I buy a new box, I only need to buy one for now. 

These arent too a bad of an option for when you need to travel. I usually just box the stuff up, and ship it to a fedex by the place im landing/staying. Seems safer than the TSA going through everything and then tossing the wheel cassette side down on your carbon frame.

https://www.shipbikes.com/clShop1.aspx

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

I have considered the shipping option, but I'm not a fellow who appreciates being without my bike for a few days on each side. And yeah, in the past I've had TSA rummage though my bike box and leave their calling card--no damage luckily. That's probably why the Evoc bags are calling my name with their dedicated wheel compartments.

• Like 1

Yeah, I’ve got a Thule box I used for my 26” gathering dust in the attic. Used it once on my first 29er 5 or 6 years ago and it was a PITA to pull fork and try to get everything to fit. TSA jacked with it every damn trip. Had everything wrapped in pipe insulation so no damage but they never put the box back together correctly and even tossed my locks once. 😡 Austin TSA  peeps are always opening bike carriers looking for CO2 carts even when I put big ass “No CO2 cartridges inside” label on it. 🙄 Borrowed an EVOC and they are so much better than the old boxes! The built in mounts, fork sleeve, wheel pockets, well thought out design. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Chongo Loco said:

“No CO2 cartridges inside” 

That's exactly what some who had CO2 cartridges would say. Don't put a "No cocaine stuffed in downtube" sign on your bike either. 

The EVOC bags are badass. I rented one from BSS before it was Trek. I don't know why more (or any) shops don't do this. My week long trip with a day on each side to pack it and return it cost around $100. Great deal for me as it is less than shipping my bike or getting a rental bike. For them, one more rental and they are probably free and clear of the initial cost of the bag.

• Haha 3

Try using Bike Flights. They are online only, but they are fantastic regarding everything about shipping your bike. They can even provide you with shipping boxes. Also you can use them to ship your bike via FedEx using their account which you save you a lot. Far cheaper that what airlines charge for shipping bikes.

I wish I'd seen this before you pulled the trigger.  I have an Evoc bag I could have loaned you.

I've used bikeflights to ship a bike to someone, but I'm with @Barry as far as using them for bike trips.   I looked at cost of bike flights and the time I wouldn't have my bike and the Evoc bag was not a bad investment at all when flying bike-friendly airlines (e.g. Alaska).

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the offer, @AntonioGG! Every time we rent one, Jessica suggests we buy them anyway. She reckons that if we have the boxes, we'll fly to bike more often.  I always talked her down, since BSS was so cheap. But now that there's no good local solution, I suppose it was time to jump in anyway. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 11:47 AM, AntonioGG said:

I wish I'd seen this before you pulled the trigger.  I have an Evoc bag I could have loaned you.

I've used bikeflights to ship a bike to someone, but I'm with @Barry as far as using them for bike trips.   I looked at cost of bike flights and the time I wouldn't have my bike and the Evoc bag was not a bad investment at all when flying bike-friendly airlines (e.g. Alaska).

Thanks @AntonioGG.  You saved the trip.  I owe you.  

Edited by Jessica
Actually. make post
  • Like 1