IGNORED

New Bike for Son, opinions?

Debo

So I took my 12yo out riding last week, and noticed he was lagging behind, long story short when he caught up it looked like a bear on a tricycle.  Time for a new bike, really trying to keep the cost decent as I'm sure he'll outgrow this one in 1-3 years, but he's shown interest in riding for his middle school team so I don't want som 30+ lb beast with heavy parts.  The best I've found so far is the Polygon Xtrada 7:

https://www.bikesonline.com/2021-polygon-xtrada-7-hardtail-mountain-bike

Everything else I've found in the sub $1000 arena seems to be really lacking.  If any one has suggestions I'm all ears.

I should also add he's 5'6" and 120lbs, so we're squarely in adult sized bn

Edited by Debo

If it is what you are looking for, then in today's world, pull the trigger. 

I think about it this way -  if it is the "bridge" bike that gets him into riding, heavily, then it is a great thing. If it is something that he will not ride then you are wasting your money.

You have two challenges right now: 1.) current supply chain and industry issue means lack of supply and 2.) kids are growing and bikes are a challenge for that dynamic. 

If you think this is the be-all, end-all bike then take a pass. If you think this is the bike that keeps him interested in the sport, then there is no reason not to pull the trigger.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Debo said:

I love Commencal, that's hitting a little out of my price range but worthy of consideration.

Yeah, can totally understand. Might be worth the extra expense since it'll hold value a little better if you go to sell. The polygon with take a 40-60% hit depending on the market.

We have two commencal bikes, and the frames are well thought out and overbuilt to last.

Trek Lamar is getting a shipment of Roscoes soon.  You may want to call and see what availability may be.  I ordered a small Roscoe 6 for my 11 year-old early December and it should be in any day now (was on a truck last week).  It's just a little over $1000 (~$1200).

I have a 2018 giant fathom sitting in the back of the garage with magura brakes, rs pike,, custom wheelset with dt hubs in a small if you would be interested.  It would need new tires as the ones on there are seeping sealant, slx drive train and the fork might need to be service in the next 40-50 hours as it's been like 6-8 months since it has been done.  There is a dent in the chainstay but it has been there for the last two years or more with over a thousand miles on it with no issues.  Does not have a dropper as I do not like them on my hardtails for whatever reason but other than that it has been a solid bike.

I'm 5'6 and just a little heavier than your son so it should work for him, downside I am located in san antonio but I do ride purgatory creek and madrone weekly and could meet if need be.

10 hours ago, natas1321 said:

I have a 2018 giant fathom sitting in the back of the garage with magura brakes, rs pike,, custom wheelset with dt hubs in a small if you would be interested.  It would need new tires as the ones on there are seeping sealant, slx drive train and the fork might need to be service in the next 40-50 hours as it's been like 6-8 months since it has been done.  There is a dent in the chainstay but it has been there for the last two years or more with over a thousand miles on it with no issues.  Does not have a dropper as I do not like them on my hardtails for whatever reason but other than that it has been a solid bike.

I'm 5'6 and just a little heavier than your son so it should work for him, downside I am located in san antonio but I do ride purgatory creek and madrone weekly and could meet if need be.

Inerested, what would you want for it?

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/343405369128545/user/100013187594883/

Posted by Andre Kashkin

$3650
Up for grabs is a Size Medium Transition Sentinel with a Full carbon frame, 29" wheels, and a 160/140mm travel set up.
The bike just had around $300 of work done on it with fresh sealant, a X01 Eagle groupo installed, brake bleed and an overall tuneup! Bike also has a brand new Chainstay installed and is ready to shred!
The X01 Eagle drivetrain shifts smoothly, XT Brakes work great, Stans wheels spin smoothly, Dropper post works as should and suspension feels butter smooth!
A few notes on the frame: there is some tire rub on the Non-drive side seatstay as well as some paint chips that were painted over on the drive side seatstay. A Transition dealer looked over both of these and said it's good to go ride. There is also some rub on the downtube from a tailgate pad. See photos for details.
Feel free to reach out with any questions, need for more photos or if you've got a reasonable offer in mind.
-Size M Transitional Sentinel, Full Carbon, Cascade link. 140mm of travel, 29" wheels.
-29" Stans ZTR Flow Wheels laced to DT Swiss Star Ratchet Hubs, set up tubeless with fresh sealant.
-Sram X01 Eagle 1x12 groupset.
-Rockshox Lyric fork with 160mm travel
-Shimano XT 2 pot brakes front and rear
-One up dropper post
-Anvl Stem and Pedals
-Raceface carbon bars
-Oneup Multi-Tool
-Old chainstay included, no structural damage, good to keep around as a spare.