IGNORED

East Austin Bike Trails

A few days ago a post from east_austin_bike_trails popped up in my Instagram feed. It looked interesting, so I followed them, but I can't find any info about where these trails are. I've tried the googles and trailforks, but nothing that matches that name comes up. From their recent posts, it looks like they are working on a jump line, but I'm not sure what else is out there. Does anyone here know about these trails?

I have been out there. it is pretty much just dirt jumps. But fun enough if you want to practice. there are three lines: beginner, intermediate, and advanced.

As above, message them on Instagram, and they will give you details once you sign the waiver. there is a gate code. sometimes it takes a while before they respond.

• Like 1

you dont need the gate code. I think you can park at the YMCA and ride across the street. There is a path to bypass the gate.  It is meant to be ridden to on the south walnut creek trail

It is a bike park, but I think they changed the name to trail because there are actually a lot of trails on the east side.

10 hours ago, crazyt said:

you dont need the gate code. I think you can park at the YMCA and ride across the street. There is a path to bypass the gate.  It is meant to be ridden to on the south walnut creek trail

It is a bike park, but I think they changed the name to trail because there are actually a lot of trails on the east side.

I dont know who's been building those off shoot trails on SWCT but they are a blast on the gravel rig! It's a lil tight on the mtb as I tend to bang trees with my wide bars. That long downhill going south toward Loyola would make a fun switchback jump line in the woods as well. 

9 hours ago, Bart said:

I dont know who's been building those off shoot trails on SWCT but they are a blast on the gravel rig! It's a lil tight on the mtb as I tend to bang trees with my wide bars. That long downhill going south toward Loyola would make a fun switchback jump line in the woods as well. 

shhh...

It looks like the VCT will be pretty destructive when it plows through, likely overtaking Chip Chop and Terminus. Luckily someone has made sure we already have a dozen redundant routes through there!

But yeah, as an example of what's going on with East Austin, take a look at the heatmaps for San Antonio's Leon Creek Greenbelt. Everywhere paved paths go, singletrack branches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Tip said:

When it gets south it is going to open up all sorts of potential for more single track. I mean...shhhh.

Unrelated to your comment... damn there is a LOT of green space in the Little Bear Creek Management Unit through which the VCT will eventually run.

• Haha 1

No trails there. Big fences. No plans for trails because the fence hasn't been opened yet to start the trail to Buda. The VCT is suppose to / eventual  go through Water Quality Protection Land from the Veloway (Purple Tiara trail) to the 45/Mopac parking lot. That hasn't even happened yet. So the further south, to Buda, trails are even further off.

13 hours ago, Barry said:

It looks like the VCT will be pretty destructive when it plows through, likely overtaking Chip Chop and Terminus. Luckily someone has made sure we already have a dozen redundant routes through there!

But yeah, as an example of what's going on with East Austin, take a look at the heatmaps for San Antonio's Leon Creek Greenbelt. Everywhere paved paths go, singletrack branches. 

Chip Chop and Terminus WILL be turned into 8' wide gravel VCT. Terminus was actually flagged by the VCT people (built by a volunteer) so it is set in stone. The Chip Chop routing is not so defined yet but it will take most of it for sure. But like I said, and you point out about Leon Creek, it's a good thing because it will open up more opportunities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1