IGNORED

Carrying Bikes in Shortbed Truck

Charlie193

I am considering getting a mid-size truck with a 5ft bed but I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to carrying bikes in trucks. Is that likely to be irritating when it comes to carrying multiple bikes? One would be an xl, with the others being small and/or kids’ bikes. I was thinking of getting whatever you call tray racks on bed rails- but I’m not sure how much you can adjust those forwards and backwards, as my bike would have to overhang the bed. 

3 minutes ago, Barry said:

I considered a pad, but am on the fence a little. Given the advice that carbon frames use racks that hold the bike by the wheels, are they any issues with having the frame sit against the tail on the same spot over and over, and the bike being strapped around the frame? I know they’re mountain bikes, and not made of glass, but I was slightly hesitant about that. It sounded like it was pretty hard to stop dirt getting trapped under the pad and scratching the truck paint too. If those aren’t huge issues and I’m being an idiot, I’ll probably just go with a pad.

1 hour ago, Charlie193 said:

I considered a pad, but am on the fence a little. Given the advice that carbon frames use racks that hold the bike by the wheels, are they any issues with having the frame sit against the tail on the same spot over and over, and the bike being strapped around the frame? I know they’re mountain bikes, and not made of glass, but I was slightly hesitant about that. It sounded like it was pretty hard to stop dirt getting trapped under the pad and scratching the truck paint too. If those aren’t huge issues and I’m being an idiot, I’ll probably just go with a pad.

Pad is probably your best bet for simplicity. Buddy is looking at buying a maverick and he rides an XL sentinel. We had to pull both wheels to get that thing to fit in my tacoma's 6.5 ft bed. (XL on right)

IMG_20200219_101158305_HDR.jpg

If it were me, id look at either buying or building something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Truck-Bed-Bike-Rack-Factory/dp/B06W9JW2L6

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Thanks 1

Such a timely post as I just got a new 5 1/2 bed truck. I've never had a pick up before. 

The tailgate pads look so simple. But why do they have to be tied down? Don't the bikes hold the pad in place? I want the pad method to be easy. Having to strap it down, to me, seems like an extra step that doesn't need to be done.

My Ridgeline bed is 64” (5’4”) the Taco is a bit shorter.  My large Hightower on fork mount jammed against the rear wall has to be offset a bit to close the shell lid. If the bed were shorter I’d pretty much be forced to do a tailgate pad. My road bike I have to take both wheels off since the fork mounts have to be set back further. In town I just chunk em in on the side and close the lid since the composite bed doesn’t damage the bikes. And I’ve taken my most used bike with me on the last few vehicle purchases to make sure my bike fit. 😬 Probably 75% of what I use the bed for is bike related so it’d be pretty dumb to buy a truck my shit doesn’t fit in. 

4 hours ago, Charlie193 said:

On older pads you just dropped the bike in anywhere on the pad and they could vibrate and move around and get some little scuffs. The newer ones have padded slots with a Velcro strap you wrap around the downtube so they stay put. I have also seen people stick an old T-shirt or shop rag under the tube on muddy bikes to prevent scuffs. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone! My kids just got new bikes, which won’t fit in our suv trunk -unlike their old ones. I could still use a hitch rack for the adult bikes and throw the little bikes in the bed, but I’d prefer to fit the bikes all together without using a hitch rack if possible.Any issues with using a bed extender while carrying bikes? Seems like that would give me a couple more feet. 

Well rats! I was all set to get a Ranger 4x4 and went to take a second look at one- my kids are shaping up to be pretty lanky, and they might fit in the back now but it won’t work for a vehicle I want to keep for a long time- it’s looking like I might have to get something bigger anyway.

Not sure why I didn’t notice the lack of legroom the first time. New vehicle excitement must have taken over.

for loading/unloading multiple bikes, the tailgate pad can't be beat. i have a blanket/pad and just throw it on there when i want to use it, but don't like to leave it on.

For all the times you are just going out by yourself, you might come up with a different option. i have a 5.5ft bead, and i just put my bike in the  bed with the cover on. or just grab a single one up rack, etc.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:17 PM, Charlie193 said:

Thanks everyone! My kids just got new bikes, which won’t fit in our suv trunk -unlike their old ones. I could still use a hitch rack for the adult bikes and throw the little bikes in the bed, but I’d prefer to fit the bikes all together without using a hitch rack if possible.Any issues with using a bed extender while carrying bikes? Seems like that would give me a couple more feet. 

I use a bed extender to hang the bikes over. Put insulating foam on the tubes.

862840411_bikeintruck.thumb.jpg.6d4170c04498bea38055372575cda716.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 4:45 PM, Charlie193 said:

Well rats! I was all set to get a Ranger 4x4 and went to take a second look at one- my kids are shaping up to be pretty lanky, and they might fit in the back now but it won’t work for a vehicle I want to keep for a long time- it’s looking like I might have to get something bigger anyway.

Not sure why I didn’t notice the lack of legroom the first time. New vehicle excitement must have taken over.

They don't fit in a 4 door ranger? How tall are these giants😁

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2022 at 5:45 PM, Charlie193 said:

I went back and forth on a Ranger / F-150.  The price wasnt that much different so I grabbed the F-150.  

I do three things when I take a bike to bike(s)- no one in my family rides but me so its generally friends.

1. Just my bike I generally lay it down in the bed diagonally.

2. Me +1- I put my Sportwerks rack on.  Often I am also hauling gear (camping) so I can keep that in bed.

3. Past 2- Rack plus moving blanket on the tailgate and strap the bikes in.

I dont like the tailgate pad as I have a tonneau cover on so Im taking something off/ on with the pad or the rack.   I keep going back to using the Boxlink system in my truck bed to make a horizontal rack.  https://www.f150forum.com/f118/boxlink-bike-rack-305074/index19/#post6897533

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

They don't fit in a 4 door ranger? How tall are these giants😁

They’re only 6 so not huge, but I’m about 6’4 (which is probably only tall-ish by today’s standards) and there is very little space behind me in the Ranger when I put the seat all the way back. Whatever I buy I will probably keep until it falls apart, so the space will probably be more of a problem in the future.

My F150 search at the weekend was a failure though, so I might be back to considering both again.

My search was not only space, but comfort in the back seats. Mid-sized trucks can be pretty lacking in both.  We do multi 7 hour each way trips a year since before my 17 y.o. was born. Road-trip capability so I can drive without them complaining or driving me nuts is first for me!

Kids in car seats or boosters kicking you in the back, nope! Then teens needing more leg room plus complaining about an uncomfortable seat most of the day, nope!  I like to stretch out on long drives so I can see at 6’4” you crowd the back seat!  I keep vehicles for a long time too so I get the hunt for keeping everyone happy. 😬

18 hours ago, Charlie193 said:

My F150 search at the weekend was a failure though, so I might be back to considering both again.

Are you looking for new? If so, order one. That's what I did. Turned out being cheaper (but not cheap! 😁) than the one on the lot that I considered for a minute. They say it takes four months to take delivery after ordering but it only took mine two months. Got it just the way I wanted it too.

I thought of something yesterday. Why can't I put a big pool noodle on the bikes for padding instead of padding the tailgate? I experimented and it seemed to work and was easy to do. Has anyone ever seen that done?

Found this on an F150 forum

"just cut a 2x12 to fit in bed, and painted it black, then i bolted mounts to it and doesn't move at all, ive put hundreds of miles on with bikes in back now and they dont move at all"

I bought something like that Thule mount (cant remember what I bought) but it was for thru-axle (3 sizes).  I tried it on a short 2x4 for use in the cab and it works but the bike barely fits anyway so I opted to not use it.  I will likely move to something like this as well as the rack.

*Edit similar to the KUAT dirtbag

Name:  IMG_5813_zpsvgcxetn8.jpg Views: 2675 Size:  264.6 KB

Edited by Taco Man