IGNORED

What tubeless rim tape ya using?

Bart

After yrs of using Stan's, I'm giving up as sealant seams to find a way underneath and leak, then I tried replacing and it started ripping in the middle after i set up tires. Anything else that that's says bicycle related is rediculously expensive. I tried Gorilla tape last summer but the glue dried up so bad it made a gooey mess trying to clean it off, prolly from the heat. Was wondering if there's some kind of clear, strong tape that's not stupid expensive that will fit in a wide rim bed and hold up to Stans sealant. 

• Like 2

I use Stan's, never really had a problem. My bigger issue is having some remnants hanging around on the rim that I miss after changing a tire. In general terms over the course of a week I tend to lose ~5lbs of air in my tires. So Saturday rides usually start with 5-8 pumps with a floor pump to get the pressure back to where I want it. I have never stretched the Stan's tape when putting it on, will need to start doing that in the future. I've used Gorilla Tape and was not as impressed, Stan's seems to be more purpose-driven for the actual task.

I've been using 3M 8896 for years with no issues. I think it's like $9 a roll, a roll will do maybe 20 wheels. The rim needs to be clean and dry and like others have said about applying tape you need to keep tension on it to get a good seal. I do two wraps to cover entire rim bed.

Edited by Chief
  • Like 1

I tried using Velofix tape on my gravel bike. I got a deal on it for a massive roll. You get what you pay for! I've tried applying it several times and it always slips off the bead shelf of the rim, exposing existing holes in the rim and letting the tire go flat. I cleaned the rim and reapplied it several times with the same result. either the adhesive is not strong enough or the tape doesn't stretch enough. I tired all of the usual techniques that I have used with success on Stan's tape and nothing worked.

to fix it in a pinch, I just removed the tape and applied two layers of 1" wide Gorilla tape. that's going to suck to remove some day, so hopefully I can just leave it there for a long time.

With all tape you have to put some tension on it working like 6” at a time. It’s the tension that keeps the edges from peeling away when putting tires on/off. Stan’s and gorilla tape have worked fine for me. Never fails I discover I need to replace rim tape after shops have closed so gorilla was easy to get at HD late at night or 7 in the morn. The original Stan’s system was just sealant and packing tape and lots of people used cheap packing tape successfully for years. 

• Like 1

Whatever tape I have laying around.  That includes Gorilla, packing, even 3M electrical tape.  Hey - what can I say - I'm cheap.  I don't understand how Stans/et'all can re-badge tape and charge 300% or more markup.  It's not like Stans payed for the development of said tape.  They just found one that was available and worked, and then told the mfr to only roll 10' onto a roll and charge WAY more.  And those who bitch about the cleanup of Gorilla - I have had to do that twice....took an extra 10 minutes with isopropyl, a rag, and scrubbing watching youtube videos to clean it.  I've had worse messes just simply using sealant than gorilla tape.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shinerider said:

Whatever tape I have laying around.  That includes Gorilla, packing, even 3M electrical tape.  Hey - what can I say - I'm cheap.  I don't understand how Stans/et'all can re-badge tape and charge 300% or more markup.  It's not like Stans payed for the development of said tape.  They just found one that was available and worked, and then told the mfr to only roll 10' onto a roll and charge WAY more.  And those who bitch about the cleanup of Gorilla - I have had to do that twice....took an extra 10 minutes with isopropyl, a rag, and scrubbing watching youtube videos to clean it.  I've had worse messes just simply using sealant than gorilla tape.

Exactly. $20 a roll for Stans is stupid, especially when I'm taping 2 mtb's, cx and a road bike all tubeless gets pricey. I've used Gorilla tape but it gets sticky. I just bought 2 rolls of 3m 8896 Strapping tape which fits in the rim bed nicely, stretches and has held up on 2 rims this weekend. $8.97 a roll and I'm guessing I can prolly wrap 6 wheels. 

• Like 1