IGNORED

Shameless Plug - Osprey Packs

AustinBike

34 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

Another believer! Where do you get your Tri-Flow? After moving from out-of-state 5 years ago I'm still ordering online because I never see it locally. 

You might have to ask for it at a local shop. Believe it or not, it's considered a potentially abuse-able substance so I think there are some restrictions about just having it out in the open where someone could just snag it. At least that's my recollection from when we used to keep it in the shop years ago...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

Another believer! Where do you get your Tri-Flow? After moving from out-of-state 5 years ago I'm still ordering online because I never see it locally. 

REI gateway usually has it. Still prefer it on road bike. Picks up too much dirt off road. 

Edited by Chongo Loco

Oh, and back on topic. Every camelbak I have ever owned the bite valve ends up dripping which is annoying when hot, and a royal PITA when it’s cold. Kid also managed to bite thru 2 when she had a mini mule. The design is infamous for leaking all over your shit if you put anything on it in transit including the freaking camelbak. 🙄 camelbak will sell you more, Osprey has sent me replacements when mine was starting to crack after 4-5 years but still didn’t leak.

Almost 30 years of using both, here’s my experience. in Louisiana you sweat a ton more from the high humidity so I had to wash my camelbak often. When the first Mule I bought mid 90’s started falling apart from washing they wouldn’t even offer a discount much less warranty replace. I’ve torn a couple too, they suggest retailers near me, so just had to find someone to sew it. Buckle broke on one camelbak from normal use and had to steal one off an old one I used for trail work. Osprey I slammed the waist buckle in my tailgate and they replaced it for free and fixed other things I didn’t even ask about, replaced magnet etc. sent them in for tears twice too.  they also replaced a bladder I split in a crash. I break shit, nothing new, not just bike stuff, so I’m willing to pay a premium to get better stuff with good warranties. Osprey is competitively priced, has a premium warranty and outstanding customer service. Also their pack designs drive the market now and others imitate (they were first with the waist strap pockets). They’re a backpack company first and it shows. 

• Like 2

when I worked at REI, we had pillows and big beanbags to stuff into backpacks for customers to walk around the store with a weighted pack. I learned the basics of adjusting a pack to fit the wearer and load it correctly. I sold a LOT of Osprey hiking packs based on these tests walks. everyone said these packs were way more comfortable when loaded down.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 10:23 PM, circuitbreaker said:

i spray my zippers with tri-flow when they start sticking. works great. Any spay lube should work.

I've had good results with Wolf Tooth WT-1 (currently on 6 month trial vs Boeshield T-9, my go-to zipper lube).

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 3/15/2022 at 11:36 AM, rockshins said:

Just ordered an Osprey Raptor. Comparing it to a Dakine Drafter that has some weird (but interesting)features. Thinking the Osprey will have better build quality and better storage. Don’t love that it only comes with a 2.5L bladder instead of a 3L. 

May have posted this in another thread, but a good reminder that  Osprey's Almighty Guarantee really is what they say it is. 

Scored a Raptor at an RLAG gear exchange this spring.

The shoulder straps and waist belt were worn out, but the rest of the pack is in very good shape. 

In Sept., used Osprey's Customer Support Page to set up a repair order, got my repair reference number, dropped it off at headquarters (Osprey headquarters is <15 minute bike ride from my current address for two more weeks).

IMG_20220816_123120938.thumb.jpg.8a8751691142694e683f64341f2db21a.jpg

Should have a like-new pack with new shoulder straps and waist belt in January or so (the turn around time for big repairs is about three months) mailed to my Austin address. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 2

I had a zipper rip on my pack, sent it back to them in the height of the pandemic. They were not able to fix it so they offered me a brand new one. They did not have my model but if I wanted to wait I could, no idea how long. Instead I took a smaller one and just bought a new 3L bladder (which fits). 

Was very happy with their service. If I ever buy an additional pack, I would definitely choose them again.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 11:01 AM, gdog-1992 said:

Didn't realize my comment was going to turn into a discussion on zippers and lube.  On Reddit, I might expect that but I guess mountain bikers are dirty too 😉

To further the zipper lube discussion, and I know this is just crazy talk, but you can buy actual zipper lube: Gear Aid Zipper Cleaner + Lubricant (Amazon link).  REI also has it HERE. It has a little brush applicator right on the bottle!  A little goes a very long way. 

Honestly, let me tell you the reality (ok, kids, everyone be quiet while grandpa speaks)...

Soap.

Yep.

I used to work at a shoe repair for many years, back when people actually bought nice shoes and fixed them.

Some soap, rubbed on a zipper, will solve all your problems.

If you do not have soap in your house, I cannot help you.

17 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Some soap, rubbed on a zipper, will solve all your problems.

If you do not have soap in your house, I cannot help you.

Good reminder!  Bar soap. 

Just had a flashback.  Back when I did a lot of sewing, one could run the end of a thread though some beeswax or bar soap to help thread it through a needle. It's also used as a thread conditioner. 

On 1/28/2022 at 2:57 PM, circuitbreaker said:

speaking of bite valves, i have to complain about the osprey design, i go through one bite valve maybe every two months. and the pack of three replacement cost $10.

i do tend to blame this on my daugther, who likes to drink my skratch, but i feel like i've had them tear even without her help. maybe i have sharp teeth?

More for your money!  They're not immune but more firm and otherwise the same...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09P5RWHVP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Thanks 1