IGNORED

2019 InnerBike Tradeshow (canceled)

CBaron

I've not been to InnerBike since about 2010, but I had no idea it was declining as such.  Historically, IB was always a huge tradeshow with a lot of business and meetings getting done.  Anyone out there who has attended recently want to give their perspective?  I tend to think that this could very well be a reflection on th over-all health of the industry.

https://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike-tradeshow-cancelled

Thanks, -CJB

Based on what I've seen, it's been overshadowed by other events - Sea Otter, Eurobike, etc.

New tech doesn't really follow the yearly release model anymore,  with individual companies doing press events, etc, and with many of the builders (especially MTB) getting stuff out at Sea Otter, at least in prototype form, for press coverage.  Bikes are also released to social media as they're developed, so it's become less of a 'what's new' show.   It also doesn't have big events/races to go with it.

i'm not terribly surprised at the announcement.

Edited by fontarin

22 minutes ago, fontarin said:

Based on what I've seen, it's been overshadowed by other events - Sea Otter, Eurobike, etc.

New tech doesn't really follow the yearly release model anymore,  with individual companies doing press events, etc, and with many of the builders (especially MTB) getting stuff out at Sea Otter, at least in prototype form, for press coverage.  Bikes are also released to social media as they're developed, so it's become less of a 'what's new' show.   It also doesn't have big events/races to go with it.

i'm not terribly surprised at the announcement.

Those are some great points.  I've always looked at Sea Otter more like a side-show.  I may need to dig in a bit deeper to see if has/can become something that could supplant IB?  My job may benefit from me attending some of these events.  Therefore, I'd like to jump back into this scene sometime this next year.

-CJB

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CBaron said:

Those are some great points.  I've always looked at Sea Otter more like a side-show.  I may need to dig in a bit deeper to see if has/can become something that could supplant IB?  My job may benefit from me attending some of these events.  Therefore, I'd like to jump back into this scene sometime this next year.

-CJB

Sea Otter has gotten much bigger in the past few years.  Manufacturers like to toss new gear out there because you can actually see it being raced or ridden in the various events.   Want to show off a prototype MTB on an actual race course?  They have pretty much every type of event for both pro and amateur racers.   Downieville is another one that's rising in attendance for the same reason.

I stopped going in 2012ish. The big issue I had was the 60% of the people there were not doing business. Most didn't even work in the industry, they just knew the folks at the local shop and came to hang out. I had to fight my way through crowds trying to get autographs, swag, or just free beer to get anything done. And by day two even most of the people working were too hung over to actually work.