IGNORED

Saddle to share (would love some female perspective)

notyal

We have a stationary trainer that my wife and I share. She rides it way more, so it's more important that she is happy. On the other hand, I'd like to ride it without the pain in my groin that the current saddle gives me. It's like the blood flow is cut to my inner hamstring area. The saddle is too soft and squishy for me. She doesn't mind it, but I think it's because (even though she loves simulated bike rides) she's not a cyclist and hasn't experienced a decent, more supportive saddle. I swapped a couple of options off my bikes for her to try. After brief tests, she didn't like either because they were too hard. In the end, it's her bike. I need to pick one that she'll love, and I just won't hate.

So here come some questions:

What's the difference in a women's specific saddle?

Would I (a male) be uncomfortable? (I've never been too particular about the saddle I've had on any of my previous bikes.)

Would going to a wider (150mm) saddle give her more comfort? (Neither of us are particularly wide in rear.)

Since it is a stationary trainer, things like weight, durability, and maneuverability aren't really an issue, so I'd prefer to keep it on the cheap side. I really think anything will be an improvement over the current saddle. Also, I have a Jenson gift card burning a hole in my pocket, so it's gotta be from there. A few I was looking at but open to others in the same price range:

https://www.jensonusa.com/WTB-Koda-Steel-Saddle

https://www.jensonusa.com/Ergon-SFC3-Fitness-Gel-Saddle

I cannot comfortably ride on my wife's WSD saddles.

I have a WSD saddle already mounted on a 27.2 seatpost if you want to try that.  We each have our seatpost + saddle with a collar (pre-set height) for easy swapping.

I have a few other men's saddles you are welcome to try.  You should definitely measure both yourself and your wife's sit bones before you pull the trigger.

Buck's by my neighborhood used to have a box of take-off saddles for super cheap ($12).  I have one Giant saddle you could have for that if it works for you.

15 hours ago, Sluggo said:

Only real answers?

I know what and where I posted.

14 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I cannot comfortably ride on my wife's WSD saddles.

I have a WSD saddle already mounted on a 27.2 seatpost if you want to try that.  We each have our seatpost + saddle with a collar (pre-set height) for easy swapping.

I have a few other men's saddles you are welcome to try.  You should definitely measure both yourself and your wife's sit bones before you pull the trigger.

Buck's by my neighborhood used to have a box of take-off saddles for super cheap ($12).  I have one Giant saddle you could have for that if it works for you.

Unfortunately, it's a weird proprietary seatpost and not that easy to swap saddles.