IGNORED

Bicycle House - new bike shop on Burnet Road

June Bug

Bicycle House: New bike shop going in on Burnet, north of the Burnet/Koenig intersection, just past Lamar Middle School.  Sales, repair, bike fit and will carry Giant, Liv, Scott and BMC.   Not open yet, although they'll do consults on finding a bike. 

James Balentine and Thomas Miller are the principals, sounds like lots of solid experience, if anyone has come across them at Jack and Adams, Mellow Johnny's or the mtn bike/bmx race scene. 

Bicycle House - Who we are

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 7:24 AM, June Bug said:

Bicycle House: New bike shop going in on Burnet, north of the Burnet/Koenig intersection, just past Lamar Middle School.  Sales, repair, bike fit and will carry Giant, Liv, Scott and BMC.   Not open yet, although they'll do consults on finding a bike. 

James Balentine and Thomas Miller are the principals, sounds like lots of solid experience, if anyone has come across them at Jack and Adams, Mellow Johnny's or the mtn bike/bmx race scene. 

Bicycle House - Who we are

Right on. I’ll stop by. That’s my neighborhood !

Patiently waiting for them to open. I have a pair of wheels that I need James to rebuild. Close enough that they could become my go-to shop. We are definitely spoiled in Austin with the number of good shops that we have. Friends in other cities generally talk about the *one* good shop in their town and how hard it is to get things done.

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Patiently waiting for them to open. I have a pair of wheels that I need James to rebuild. Close enough that they could become my go-to shop. We are definitely spoiled in Austin with the number of good shops that we have. Friends in other cities generally talk about the *one* good shop in their town and how hard it is to get things done.

I spoke to James the other day - they are waiting for their Final Inspection from the City. He's optimistic about the timeline (soon), those of us who are jaded and old will be less likely to expect it to be this week or next.

5 hours ago, Taco Man said:

That pretty much sums it up.

For those of you with experience, are final inspections worse than pre-construction or life & safety inspections?  (I know life & safety are part of final on the BP)

We are doing replacing our patio arbor with a roof, while pulling those permits, they found out the original 1983 permits (EP, MP, BP) were expired and not finalized.  It turns out this is a common thing (129k currently expired permits in CoA back to the 70's).   I won't get into the whole online process and customer support issues in here, but as part of this, I requested a pre-construction inspection (the system doesn't let you skip ahead, they are sequential) for the next day, and the inspector showed up at 8am the next day.  Obviously they couldn't have done a pre-construction inspection, but the inspector was super helpful by giving me contacts, and the manager in charge talked to him once he got back and they got it all cleared up in a couple of hours.

(I provided feedback to them on how to improve the process--or rather--to define a process for this specific type of issue and to train the customer support people on this).

We ran into a similar issue with our last remodel. Turns out a contractor put in for a permit for some reason we do not understand. Had to get that nullified and it was a real pain.

We started on a patio/screen porch project last April. Maaaaayyybbbeee it will start soon. Permits were a mess and we had an architect on top of it the whole time.

Good luck on your job.

• Thanks 1

The final inspection (CO) is more cursory than anything else as by then its all closed up.

Each of the inspections along the way Plumbing, Electrical, Mechanical, Life Safety are all the real ones before you can close up the drywall/ ceiling.  The "Final" inspection by the Fire dept makes sure there are no obstructions, that you have all the life safety operational, the building dept makes sure you dont have any code violations.  Usually both are fairly quick if youve got yourself in the right place.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 1:09 PM, AntonioGG said:

I provided feedback to them on how to improve the process--or rather--to define a process for this specific type of issue and to train the customer support people on this.

Ha ha! How did that go down?

8 hours ago, TAF said:

Ha ha! How did that go down?

They were receptive, and they're in a transition to a lot of online stuff where homeowners do a lot more of this instead of contractors with experience.  My perception is that the system went from one where you showed up in person (and I've heard horror stories about how long you would wait) and you could hash it out in person once you got to see someone that knows what they're talking about, to now you don't get to hash it out with someone that knows what they're talking about.  I think they were also receptive because I believe I sent 25 e-mails over a week as well as called about it.  Neither one of us liked it.  I was generally offering constructive criticism and offered my help.  I imagine they largely get many angry anti-government types most of the time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

.  I imagine they largely get many angry anti-government types most of the time.

Post-covid......i couldnt imagine why😄

We had to schedule almost two months out for a title transfer, that took place in a parking lot. Oddly enough, my taxes didn't go down.

You couldn't pay me enough to open a brick&mortar in Austin. 

Edited by ATXZJ

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little confused about how much they charge, but I will stop by and ask them. I see $100 per hour on the website -- and am hoping that is not a minimum, since they're no longer driving to my house. In other words, if it takes 30 mins to adjust my rear der, will it be $50?

When attempting to schedule, the only option appears to be "2 hours @ $150", whatever that means, although it appears to include "Bike washed. Wheels trued. Shifting precise. Braking dialed. All other issues addressed." I always drop off a clean bike, so I certainly don't need to pay for that!

In any case, I'll drop by and ask em before scheduling anything.

On 3/8/2022 at 6:28 AM, AustinBike said:

Patiently waiting for them to open. I have a pair of wheels that I need James to rebuild. 

I'm building for Velorangutan these days, but also doing side builds/repairs and am regularly in your neighborhood for pickup/drop off, if this new place doesn't work out.

I'll give em a solid thumbs up. James took care of my bent derailleur situation on opening day for a cheap $25. The website needs tweaking, but he recommends everyone use the built-in appointment scheduler - you won't be charged the indicated $150 for two hours if the repair doesn't warrant that. Nicely remodeled interior, plus a beer fridge. If you drive in off SCB you can park behind the shop without having to venture onto Burnet Rd.