IGNORED

WARNING... WARNING... Creepy stalker person alert...

RidingAgain

Seriously... 

I posted some ads on craigslist and have received a few emails from a creepy stalker-like person.

Here's the content of this creepy stalker-like person's emails...

> "There is no need get emotional, just don't lie."

> "Let me help you remember. If there is dirt in between the knobbies then that would mean that they are used. Does that help you remember?

> "What's the $10 next to the title in your ad about? None of the seats are priced at $10."

Now I'm thinking it may just be someone from one of Austin's mtb forums who has a bug up his ass for me.

I could be wrong.

But I've got a hunch I'm not.

Edited by RidingAgain

1 hour ago, TheX said:

Seriously, I flipped close to 1000 musical instruments over a 15 year period but finally gave it up last year. People are a flawed design.

That's a lot of stuff. I don't use craigslist that much, maybe ten times during the year. I've been on eBay for twenty years and maybe had somewhat negative experiences. I'm also using FB Marketplace and other FB selling pages which have been okay.

Being someone who has spent many years participating on online forums — since the mid-90s on AOL — for sure I know what humans can be like... No doubt we all have flaws. But I've learned to work around/through it all. As I hope folks do with me and my flaws.

16 minutes ago, fontarin said:

If I'm selling something for less than 20 bucks, I'd rather give it away than have to deal with people on Craigslist.

I've met people that I've had long interesting conversations with when they've come to buy something for $20. And as the 'ol Jamaican saying goes... "One, one cocoa fill basket." Put enough $20 sales together and you've got a few hundred dollars to spend. I'm careful though, with how I deal with craigslist contacts.

22 minutes ago, fontarin said:

If I'm selling something for less than 20 bucks, I'd rather give it away than have to deal with people on Craigslist.

100% agree.  My threshold is a bit higher.  I had some horrible experiences on Craiglist with people making me drive to meet and then standing me up.  I started thinking more in terms of how much does my time cost?  Some stuff I donate to Yellow Bike Project and deduct it from my taxes.  I don't the same monetary benefit as I'd get selling it, but this way someone else benefits that may need it more.

13 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

Same photos as I used here on this site. Also, the manner of the comments reminds me of someone I've encountered on Mojo and this forum.

Did they offer to trade you a 200 gallon aquarium?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, notyal said:

I'd be interested in what the conversation was leading up to those replies. I mean, you do have a history of rubbing people the wrong way. 

He has a point. However, there's no shortage of creepy people who will find you on Craigslist.

I just hate trying to sell something on CL because everything you post gets buried under 20 pages of rusty crap within 6 hours.

8 minutes ago, notyal said:

I'd be interested in what the conversation was leading up to those replies. I mean, you do have a history of rubbing people the wrong way. 

First email sent to me...

> "What's the $10 next to the title in your ad about? None of the seats are priced at $10."

My reply... "Thanks. Changed to $15."

Second email...

> "Let me help you remember. If there is dirt in between the knobbies then that would mean that they are used. Does that help you remember?"

My reply... "Sure. Reminds me that there's still assholes like yourself in this world."

Third email...

My reply... "LOL… Dude… I’m not emotional… Just playing with you. I smile when I read your emails. Reminds me of a fella on an Austin bike forum that I think keeps a ruler next to his bed so his girl can measure him before they get it on. As for me lying… That the best you got. Now you have me thinking that not only are you super vain, but also a bit on the illiterate side. Go read my ad again, see if you can figure it out. Get back with me on it and let me know what you conclude. If it’s still gone over your head I’ll simplify it some more for you. :- )"

Haven't heard back.

Edited by RidingAgain

So I just sold the Specialized Stumpjumper frame/shock I had for sale. Someone contacted me from craigslist. Very cool fella, maybe in his late 30s, early 40s. Lives out near Bastrop and is newish it seems into mtbing. He actually has the exact frame but the hinge part (can't remember what it's called) that connects the shock to the rear triangle is cracked. He was stoked to find this frame. Also, he and friends come into Austin to ride Walnut, and sometimes just down by the river area of BC. I got to tell him about SATN and invited him to come riding with some of us. He was happy about that as well.

This is the fourth person this year that I've sold something mtb-related to, that is in the start up aspect of their mtb experience that I've been able to give more info to and encourage in the sport.

One person, also from the Bastrop area, came and bought a hitch bike rack. It was for carrying his crusers but we got to talking about riding trails with better trail-specific bikes. He was interested and I was able to put him in contact with someone who sold him a really nice used Ellsworth bike. He had me looking for a bike for his wife, but then he went out and bought her a brand new $3,000 bike. Next he told me his daughter wanted a bike to ride too (maybe that's the group who this fella I met today rides with).

Another person, a younger fella, had ridden road with his dad for years but now wanted to get into mtbing. He bought a fork from me and I had the opportunity to speak to him about SATN as well. Also ended up giving him a stand to help with his build. 

Also had an older fella who comes up from Mexico on business and saw a bike I was selling on craigslist, come get it from me. He was so happy as it was his first full suspension.

All four experiences were great... And I even got to speak about the Lord with two of the fellas I met.

I think it's great experiencing this type of community.

Edited by RidingAgain

1 hour ago, RidingAgain said:

First email sent to me...

My reply... "Thanks. Changed to $15."

Second email...

> "Let me help you remember. If there is dirt in between the knobbies then that would mean that they are used. Does that help you remember?"

My reply... "Sure. Reminds me that there's still assholes like yourself in this world."

Third email...

My reply... "LOL… Dude… I’m not emotional… Just playing with you. I smile when I read your emails. Reminds me of a fella on an Austin bike forum that I think keeps a ruler next to his bed so his girl can measure him before they get it on. As for me lying… That the best you got. Now you have me thinking that not only are you super vain, but also a bit on the illiterate side. Go read my ad again, see if you can figure it out. Get back with me on it and let me know what you conclude. If it’s still gone over your head I’ll simplify it some more for you. :- )"

Haven't heard back.

The conversation went further than I would have allowed them. Feeding the trolls doesn't help.

the facebook marketplace is good, though i havent really had trouble with craigslist.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bicycleselltradeaustintx/

I started the pay it forward thread in the old forum and gave away a ton of stuff because it was too much of a hassle to sell.

On facebook there is the concept of a PPU or porch pickup, you leave the item out and the people leave the money under the mat. That has been a pretty good way to sell inexpensive items. 

Edited by crazyt
  • Like 1