IGNORED

Chris King Fun Bolts

Teamsloan

I have an ISO disc rear hub that I’m trying to rehab for a singlespeed project. Does anyone have any of the “fun bolts” lying around? I can’t find anyone selling them anywhere. Also need a new HG drive shell as the current one is severely notched from the previous owners cassette. 

I figure it’s a long shot, but anyone have anything?

another long shot: apparently these bolts are M12x1.0. you'll have to confirm that thread, but you'd need the end of the bolt just under the head turned town to 10mm to fit in conventional dropouts. it would not be hard for someone with a lathe to take some fine-thread M12 bolts and modify them to fit in the frame.

I have seen this question come in a few other places and no one can find them. that's really weird that Chris King simply discontinued them, considering how many people love those hubs and they never seem to die.

I was going to suggest Austin Bolt Company on Rutland Dr., which has been bought by ServPro. 

RIP

Here's a Yelp review from April 2021: Austin Bolt used to be a "go-to" place if you needed a handful of fasteners. Now (post-Covid), they have bailed on their previous "customer-first" business model and only do wholesale accounts. Will-call and walk-up business is gone for retail customers. FastServ charges $20 shipping for web orders. Sayonara....

Edited by June Bug
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

another long shot: apparently these bolts are M12x1.0. you'll have to confirm that thread, but you'd need the end of the bolt just under the head turned town to 10mm to fit in conventional dropouts. it would not be hard for someone with a lathe to take some fine-thread M12 bolts and modify them to fit in the frame.

I have seen this question come in a few other places and no one can find them. that's really weird that Chris King simply discontinued them, considering how many people love those hubs and they never seem to die.

The whole point for fun bolts was to have a bolt on hub for standard 10mm dropouts. Are you sure that’s right?

Get some bolts, bring those, my pullers, and come pick up your speakers and we'll turn down the screws on my little Sherline lathe.  (buy some extras though, I'm not an expert machinist).

Actually, if I can get my bike back together today, I may make the R&I.  I could bring you your stuff and bring me the pullers and the bolts.

1 hour ago, Teamsloan said:

The whole point for fun bolts was to have a bolt on hub for standard 10mm dropouts. Are you sure that’s right?

yes. I looked them up, and the threaded part of the bolt is 12mm. the outer shoulder is 10mm. so you can't thread the bolt completely out of a standard dropout. you loosen the bolts and let the axle fall drop right out.

image.png.351e1cbf1cb087945ea6c793b24cb5a1.png

if you get some M12 x 1.0 (again, double check that thread pitch) and turn down the part that fits inside the dropouts, you could make some. still, I'd ask Chris King why in the world they stopped making something for the thousands of hubs that are still spinning out there.

I found a few for sale by looking up the manufacturer part number: PHB507-10    

Edited by mack_turtle

5 hours ago, June Bug said:

I was going to suggest Austin Bolt Company on Rutland Dr., which has been bought by ServPro. 

RIP

Here's a Yelp review from April 2021: Austin Bolt used to be a "go-to" place if you needed a handful of fasteners. Now (post-Covid), they have bailed on their previous "customer-first" business model and only do wholesale accounts. Will-call and walk-up business is gone for retail customers. FastServ charges $20 shipping for web orders. Sayonara....

Austin Bolt was awesome - sad to hear that they have gone down the shitter.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

yes. I looked them up, and the threaded part of the bolt is 12mm. the outer shoulder is 10mm. so you can't thread the bolt completely out of a standard dropout. you loosen the bolts and let the axle fall drop right out.

image.png.351e1cbf1cb087945ea6c793b24cb5a1.png

if you get some M12 x 1.0 (again, double check that thread pitch) and turn down the part that fits inside the dropouts, you could make some. still, I'd ask Chris King why in the world they stopped making something for the thousands of hubs that are still spinning out there.

I found a few for sale by looking up the manufacturer part number: PHB507-10    

I misunderstood what you meant at first. I thought you were saying the fun bolts needed to be turned down. 😛

i’ll search the part number.