IGNORED

Houston - meh

GFisher

I will be there for a conference and will have some time to ride. Things could be wet and I don't expect much dries quickly so may be doing urban mostly. I have never ridden there. I will be next to Memorial Park so will hit that if I can, and maybe the Anthills (two trails I have known about forever). Any other in-town stuff make the top of the list? Cypress? I have one full day and it might be dry enough to hit either Huntsville State Park or Double Lake, any recommendations for one over the other? Any urban/fun routes? Looks like a lot of pathways that link up various parks.

Thanks for any suggestions. There are plenty of breweries so I have that going for me.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, GFisher said:

I will be there for a conference and will have some time to ride. Things could be wet and I don't expect much dries quickly so may be doing urban mostly. I have never ridden there. I will be next to Memorial Park so will hit that if I can, and maybe the Anthills (two trails I have known about forever). Any other in-town stuff make the top of the list? Cypress? I have one full day and it might be dry enough to hit either Huntsville State Park or Double Lake, any recommendations for one over the other? Any urban/fun routes? Looks like a lot of pathways that link up various parks.

Thanks for any suggestions. There are plenty of breweries so I have that going for me.

Houston, god how i hate that place. You have my deepest sympathies.

Agreed there are a few really good breweries that'll help to numb the pain.

Otherwise, this is what TF says

https://www.trailforks.com/region/houston/?activitytype=1&z=9.2&lat=29.71747&lon=-95.61187

Having lived there 25 years ago I can say that there were few, if any, places to mountain bike when I was there. Luckily, since that time, <checks notes>, nope, still not happening.

I'd bring an urban bike and hit the town. There are plenty of places for urban riding, with plenty of breweries to visit.

Well gee, I don't know fellas. Trailforks showes an absolute shit-ton of trails. Not as much ar ATX or DFW, but more than San Antonio. And it's almost inevitable that when folks don't have technical terrain,  they add fun little Technical Trail Features. 

Personally I enjoyed the Sugar Land Brazos river area trails. Unlike me you probably want to stay north of the river. But you'll find fun trails, lots of jumps and a few TTFs. 

I've also enjoyed the Sam Houston Nat'l Forest area...but it's probably better if you're into the gravel with added singletrack thing. Although if you just want to get your hammer on, Double Lake is twisty pine forest fun. 

Edited by Barry

Jack Brooks - south of town.  Short loop but trails are super fun.  Maybe 6 miles in total but it's twisty and has some "tech" sections due to roots.  I'd go there over Memorial or AntHills based on having ridden them all before.

Huntsville SP is fun too.  Lots of pine trees, roots and sand.  Fun but nothing super challenging.  The park is pretty too.