IGNORED

Fort Davis, TX

circuitbreaker

I have stayed out at Fort Davis a couple of times. It's great scenery, but most of what you see (applies to FWT in general) is fenced-off private land. There is an old CCC trail which heads uphill out of the Fort Davis campground / state park and up to a cool overlook. We actually rode it, but it's a hiking trail ... maybe 2-3 miles in total.

As for Marfa / Alpine, I understand there is a trail which runs alongside the rail line and connects the two towns, but we're talking huge freight trains - don't know how much fun it would be.

I'd get down to Terlingua where you can access the State Park and the National Park -- endless hiking in those two areas. Be prepared -- it's pretty remote!

In the Fort Davis area is the McIvor Ranch offering a vacation guest house. Their website says folks staying there can hike and bike on the ranch.

Riding is likely the ranch roads, and it should be a unique place to sample parts of the Davis Mountains many never see.

http://www.mcivor-ranch.com/index.html

I have no experience with their Guest House specifically, but have been on several ranches in that area back in the late 80s when I lived and worked at the Observatory. We had a volunteer fire department and participated in fighting grass fires all over out there. I'd highly recommend taking the opportunity to ride around just for the views, if given the chance.

Also, poking around on Google Maps I found the Davis Mountain Preserve map shows biking is allowed on trails there. Here's their main site link for more info.

Access is limited to "Event Days" and here a link to this year's dates.

I need to get out there and check this place out. The check-in check-out facility is named the McIvor Conservation Center, so this Nature Conservancy land was likely part of their ranch.

Edited by Ridenfool

We were out there hiking just as covid was about to explode - first week of March 2020.

The Indian Lodge trail makes for a good loop (using the road on the return) from the lodge. Hiking only - good views and fairly challenging. 

The observatory is cool, and the drive (or road ride) out there and back is sweet. Try to hit a star party if you can.

We hiked up the Limpia Creek Trail (pretty steep if I remember (like over 200 ft/mi)) but the top loop looks relatively flat (we only did part of the Sheep Pen Canyon Loop) but made it up to some good views for a cold brew before the hike back down. We did see a few bikers, I think there could be some hike a bike involved but probably pretty fun overall.

I didn't now this place existed until too late - looks pretty awesome but only open a day or 2 per month and required reservations. If we ever make it back out there, I will plan around it - https://www.nature.org/en-us/get-involved/how-to-help/places-we-protect/davis-mountains-preserve/

If I made it back, I would spend limited time here and devote more days for Big Bend, just better views and much more to do IMHO.

I'd also highly recommend a visit to the Chinati Foundation just outside Marfa. It's more than just artwork -- the place was formerly Fort Russell, an air force training ground in one or both wars, and I believe a POW camp. Many of the original buildings remain, in particular the old prisoner mess, which still has artwork on the walls from WWII! Very cool if you are into military history. Follow up your visit with agave margs at the Sentinel in town.

The Chinati Foundation – A contemporary art museum based upon the ideas of its founder, Donald Judd.

• 2 weeks later...

I did ride the state park, it was solid for mixed use trail. Once you're at the top, the loop has plenty of elevation change:

https://www.strava.com/activities/6830769488

In the area we hiked the Indian Lodge Trail and Skyline Trail. The old CC Trails seems like its closed indefinitely. Also visited the Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute which has some nice trails, but we just stuck to botanical gardens.

• Like 2