IGNORED

Pace Bend Trail Sanitizing

cxagent

I was riding Pace Bend today. There was a place on Wookie Way where you had to ride a skinny rock ledge past a little tree or drop down to your left and ride a smooth path. Someone took it on themselves to cut the roots of the tree and push the tree over. Now it might as well be a paved road thru there. Oh wait, the rocks are a bit loose and bumpy. Maybe they can bring in some concrete and make a sidewalk thru there.

This spot usually had three lines A ) the skinny past the tree B ) drop to the smooth path to the left and climb back up C ) most of the time you could go around the tree to the right (was usually blocked during events so riders had to use some actual skill). I am thinking about replacing that tree with an 8 inch steel pipe filled with concrete.

Just because you can't ride it does not mean other people can't ride it. Bring your skill level up to the trail. Don't bring the trail down to your skills. Over time, even you might learn to ride with more skill. Asshat.

I know what I'm going to hear back - 
"The person who did that is not on this board." Maybe they are not. But it seems everybody needs a reminder.
"It's public property so I can do anything I want." BS Ask the two guys that were charged with felonies for cutting down trees to build a trail on a national park. Some of us spend many many many hours working with the land manager to get agreement on what can be done. This kind of tree cutting poisons all those hours of work.
"It was too dangerous like it was. I just made the trail safer." BS You could ALWAYS go around. There was already a B-line. You decided the few seconds on your Strava time was more important.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cxagent said:

Just because you can't ride it does not mean other people can't ride it. Bring your skill level up to the trail. Don't bring the trail down to your skills. Over time, even you might learn to ride with more skill. Asshat.

For sure may just be an asshat... But... And yes, I know... But I'm going to say it anyway... Providing an alternate way around may just stop people from doing stuff like this.

It's on thing if the trail is clearly marked as a hazardous trail (black diamond or worse)... But it's another thing if it's just a potentially hazardous — for some riders — section of a trail designated as not harzardous.

And this is going to become more and more of an issue as mtbing grows in popularity... Particularly on public land.

Get ahead of it is what I  would suggest... Build alternate routes around stuff that some people may have a hard time riding.

And this is something I see being done on some of the more popular trails being built these days... Santos and Bentonville for example. When I look closely at the videos of the trails I can see alternate routes where some of the more hazardous sections are.

And yes, I know, like you, I'm going to hear back... Yada, yada, yada...

But hopefully, after all the grandstanding, folks will see some value in what I've said.

Edited by RidingAgain
  • Like 1

Here's an example...

I've taken my wife to Brushy once, thinking she would enjoy the section out east, and the section west that runs along the river. But you know what... She saw a trailhead that led to Deception (going west to east after the trail with the big drop) and asked if we could do it. I tried to put her off but she wanted to so I explained what she would encounter and she said she was good with it. And she did really well, riding almost all of the easier sections. Now here's the thing... On some of the harder sections we stopped and saw other riders ride these harder sections and she was impressed that they could make it look easy. One person even took three attempts to make an uphill rock climb that just before the step section that is after a bailout point (not sure what the name is but was told it's difficult). And I think that because she saw what the other riders were doing, it encouraged her to do some things, not any of the really hard stuff, but some of the smaller ledges as she rode the rest of the trail.

I think that having the option to keep riding trail she saw as being at her level helped her gain the confidence to do some things that were a little above her level.

And this is the way I would try to develop a beginner or slightly better rider... Small bites at a time, in a way that they don't feel forced to do what they are not confident in doing, but also are not somewhat embarrased ("...get off and walk...") by.

Honestly... I love trails that allow me to chose a more difficult section, or choose a less difficult section... Both allowing me to not stop but continue riding.

And I think most people feel that way.

Edited by RidingAgain

31 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

Hey, cxagent... Do you think the person who did this simply wanted multiple easy trail route choices... Seeing that there were already, from what I think you said in your OP, two easy alternates?

There has been a "B-line" for years (smooth down and up to the left). There has been a "C-line" for years (stay right of the tree). If somebody wanted an "easier route choice" it was already there. What they did was to take away the harder line. I cannot think of any reasonable justification for what they did.

• Like 4

There could be signage at the parking lot, and redundantly along the trail, clearly stating who to contact regarding needed trail work and suggestions for modification. As well as clearly stating that nobody is to do work on the trail without approval from the steward(s) prior.

Then again, the sort of folks that do this are about as likely to read the signs as folks are to read the OP stating how there already were 3 lines to choose from in this particular instance.

People, are a problem.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RidingAgain said:

I did... Twice.

Perhaps you should not assume.

I'll help...

"This spot usually had three lines A ) the skinny past the tree B ) drop to the smooth path to the left and climb back up C ) most of the time you could go around the tree to the right (was usually blocked during events so riders had to use some actual skill). I am thinking about replacing that tree with an 8 inch steel pipe filled with concrete."

...again...B ) drop to the smooth path to the left and climb back up

...B ) drop to the smooth path to the left and climb back up

There was a "b" line that was perfectly ridable without the technical exposure. I've ridden all three lines, but I normally "chicken out" (my opinion of my own reaction) and ride the "b" line.

It sucks that this line was sanitized. I appreciate your rant CXAGENT.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

There could be signage at the parking lot, and redundantly along the trail, clearly stating who to contact regarding needed trail work and suggestions for modification. As well as clearly stating that nobody is to do work on the trail without approval from the steward(s) prior.

Then again, the sort of folks that do this are about as likely to read the signs as folks are to read the OP stating how there already were 3 lines to choose from in this particular instance.

People, are a problem.

There you go... The usefulness of marketing.

People need to be trained up in things.

And sure... Some people will still refuse to be guided by what these signs say... But we see that on the roads on a daily basis... And I'm sure you, Ridenfool, are one of those folks who break traffic laws.

Why?

Because it suits you to at the time you're doing it, and you think you can do so without negative consequences when doing it.

Get it...

Mind set... Personal disposition towards something... That's what causes a person... Folks... To do what they do.

Do you break traffic laws, Riddenfool?

If you do... Then you're "...a problem..." to other folks driving on the roads you do.

You said... "Then again, the sort of folks that do this are about as likely to read the signs as folks are to read the OP stating how there already were 3 lines to choose from in this particular instance."

As I have already said to Barry... I read it... Twice... And understood that there were three lines.

Now see if you can follow me here... I'll go slow for you...

In this particular case there were three lines... 

But this is not common on the Austin trails I've ridden.

And possibly, because it's not common...

Some riders may not understand what an alternate line — or alternate lines — are for...

Meaning...

That alternate lines are for providing different riding experiences for different rider skill levels.

Some people might think that these alternate lines are just diffent ways to ride a section of trail and should be the same in the sense of difficulty... Because all riders should be able to comfortably ride all lines.

This is a matter of understanding/mindset/disposition.

And this is what I was getting at when I said...

"...It's on thing if the trail is clearly marked as a hazardous trail (black diamond or worse)... But it's another thing if it's just a potentially hazardous — for some riders — section of a trail designated as not harzardous...".

People need to be instructed in how to use what they've been provided with.

And that was what I was trying to say with my comment... That people need to gain a clear view of what's going on.

Which is what I tried to speak on further in my comment about my wife's experience of Brushy trails... Having some knowledge of what's what helps... As does the provision of alternate routes around difficult/harzardous sections.

There's a wonderful scripture verse that says...

"...Without vision people cast off restraint... But happy is he who keeps the law." - Proverbs 29:18

Although this is speaking to spiritual matters... It is a very practical speaking also.

To be able to "...keep the law..." a person needs to have a clear vision regarding the law.

And the clear vision regarding the matter of mtb trails and leaving maintenance/redevelopment of trails to the authorized people will be helped by all trails providing alternate routes around difficult/hazardous sections... As this will become seen (vision) as the norm... And as such... Looked for... Anticipated... Expected... And to a point... Utilized by most (unfortunately there will always be asshats).

The more these alternate routes are built into trails... The more riders will understand why they are there... And what they are for.

Meaning...

They are there to provide a way for riders who do not want to ride the designated difficult routes to not have to stop riding to go through a section.

Now this may not have applied to the person who did the stuff the OP spoke about... Even the OP was unclear about who this could have been... An asshat without the skill to ride the difficult line... Or a Strava personal-best seeking better rider.

All I was saying is that there's a need here in Austin for trail official builders to be more proactive in providing alternate routes around difficult section on all public land trails.

Hope that helps you folk.

And I'm always glad to provide the help.

Edited by RidingAgain

Signs at the parking lot and on the trail are being done. If you happen to have seen what is done on the LCRA signage project (McKinney Roughs, Grelle, and Shaffer Bend) we have been putting green / blue / black trail ratings per the IMBA guidelines. If you have been to Muleshoe in the past year, you might have noticed that those same signs point to two new "Bypass or B-line" that we have created so the entire main loop can be rated green. We need to get back to finish the other three but other issues have taken priority. NOTE - we have not closed or sanitized the five technical spots on the main loop - only created longer/slower bypasses. If you can ride the technical spots you have a speed advantage. If you take the bypass it is easier but takes more time. I think that is a win - win for everybody. Lower skills have a rideable route. Higher skills have a speed advantage. Hopefully nobody feels like they have to screw up the "other line".

Also note that not every trail or feature CAN have a bypass. Sometimes the terrain just does not allow it. Sometimes the land owner/manager will not allow it. Some people should stay off trails they don't like or can't handle. But those same people are the ones that claim that the trail has to be "cleared" so they can push their baby stroller on it. Yes - I got that exact complaint on the BCGB.

Part of the reason the tree cutting gets to me is the number of times I have been told I am "ruining trails" or "building wheel chair ramps". And when there is a technical trail feature some asshat screws it up. 

Entitled people appear to me to be the problem. ENTITLED people. The solution I see is INFORMED/EDUCATED people. That is the reason I am positing this. I hope that people on this and other boards can help educate people.

Edited by cxagent
Rant will continue...
  • Like 5