IGNORED

Pace Bend Trail Sanitizing

cxagent

4 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

As old school as it may sound... I think an Austin Mountain Biking magazine would do wonders towards helping inform and educate the local Austin trail users community... In a positive way towards the desires of the Austing mtb community.

Everythings going app these days... Let's come up with an app for the mtb community. Also a website might help... One that is properly administrated and governed by the mission related to this website (and app)... Meaning, void of the useless static that seems to be par for the course on Austin mtb websites.

Grassroots efforts are also needed.

I know of a growing group of mtb riders in the Bastrop area... One came to buy a frame from me a week ago... Had no idea that there was this extensive 80-mile trail system in SW Austin.

They need to be reached out to and brought under the wing of the Austin mtb community.

And here's a good reason why... 

They come to Austin to ride the trails here.

Let's get ahead of any possible ignorant of proper mtb trail useage by building community with them.

And that goes for newbies right here in Austin.

And all this may sound like a whole lot of babysitting, pandering, coddling BS... But for better or worse, that's where society is at the moment.

And if you don't believe me... Just take a look at Bentonville... That's exactly what's happening there... A whole lot of babysitting, pandering, coddling... Driven by a whole lot of $$$s.

What's happening here in Austin regarding the mtb scene is not some kind of new phenomenon... It's quite common in growing societies, and there's lots of information available regarding successful ways to deal with it. All that is needed is the proper mindset/attitude towards taking the steps needed.

so when can we expect you to get started?

27 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

so what exactly are you giving?

I've been giving my time here on this thread... Even given all the silly crap presented by others.

And as I told cxagent... I'd be more than willing to meet with him and see where I can help.

I've worked with trail builders on maintenance days.

I've worked as a volunteer on a race day.

I speak to people I meet who are interested in mtbing, trying to point them in the proper direction re. how to begin their mtb experience in a proper way.

I keep abreast of what others are doing in other parts of the country/world regarding mtb sport development.

I've spent time supporting efforts like Yellow Bike.

I stay in touch with the local SW trail steward, and have told him that I am interested in helping maintain a section of the trail near to where I live, and even build some new sections to it.

ATXZ... I have no problem being involved. Never have. In fact, I often try to initiate efforts.

For exmple... Earlier this year at the Lifetime Fitness South club I took the lead to develop, promoted and managed a squash team league over 8 weeks, with 28 participants. After which I developed, promoted and managed a monthly squash ladder, one that's currently up to 50+ participants. No one is paying me to do this stuff... And many squash players are benefitting/enjoying the results of my efforts. And even better... These efforts are helping to build the squash playing community here in Austin. And next year I'm hoping that we can get together and stage an intercity bi-annual tournament with San Antonio, and possibly some sort of City team league with the other squash clubs here in Austin.

I try to put my money where my mouth is, ATXZ... But not for a bunch of whiners. I do it for those who are really interested in participating in making a difference.

And yes, I know... You haven't seen that where upgrading my bike is concerned... But that's because it's not a big priority, and isn't on a timeline.

But in things that are... I try to do what's needed.

13 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

so when can we expect you to get started?

When I get some communication cxagent on this I think... 

"I am listening. Show me what needs to be done. I take all good ideas and try to move them forward. Just be warned I don't make decision on a lot of things. The land manager does. I can only request / recommend. And I do a lot of that."

To which I responded...

"
If you're serious, let's meet. Eat the hay and leave the sticks."

Edited by RidingAgain

BTW...

After I posted my thoughts on a section of the SATN trail, TheTip (the trail steward for SATN) contacted me once regarding meeting with him... And I did quite quickly. And met wth him again on another occasion regarding more participation in SATN trail building/maintenance.

If you look in my garage you'll see a bunch of different tools that I've been buying for the specific purpose of doing just that... Participating in SATN trail building/maintenance. And I live in an apartment complex... I don't need to have these types of tools for my personal use.

And although I'm not in a rush... Here's a funny twist regarding what I'm considering...

The new trail that I'd like to add to the section that's near to where I live I was thinking should be for riders like Seth... Meaning... Difficult... As there's already a trail that's easy, and the area I'm looking at has great features for harder stuff.

See, ATXZ... I'm even up for building trail I most likely won't ride myself.

Why?

Because I think there should be options for all levels of riders to enjoy.

Edited by RidingAgain

6 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

BLAH!

Because I think there should be options for all levels of riders to enjoy.

This thread started about a feature that already had multiple alternative lines, and the primary feature still got destroyed, then you jumped in with your usual diatribe. How many fucking lines do you think needs to be there? Anywhere?

Oh wait, I'm too entitled to ask that question.

I have no idea why cxagent would want to engage in a conversation about this with you when he already pointed out the obvious.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

This thread started about a feature that already had multiple alternative lines, and the primary feature still got destroyed, then you jumped in with your usual diatribe. How many fucking lines do you think needs to be there? Anywhere?

Oh wait, I'm too entitled to ask that question.

I have no idea why cxagent would want to engage in a conversation about this with you when he already pointed out the obvious.

I'll go through Yosmithy's concerns one by one...

Yosmithy says... "This thread started about a feature that already had multiple alternative lines, and the primary feature still got destroyed,..."

Yes... Which tells us that the problem requires something other than just alternate lines to try and solve it... Doesn't it.

Yosmithy says... "...then you jumped in with your usual diatribe."

Well... I could say the same about you, couldn't I.

But that would only be propagating more uselessness.

Yosmithy says... "How many fucking lines do you think needs to be there? Anywhere?"

One is more than enough for me. But I think the trail builder in charge is the one to determine what's needed.

Let me know if you need me to address anymore of your concerns, Yosmithy.

Sorry... I left out the last two in your above quoted speaking...

Yosmithy says... "Oh wait, I'm too entitled to ask that question."

By presenting the above thought... I'd think chances are... Yes, perhaps you think you are.

Yosmithy says... "I have no idea why cxagent would want to engage in a conversation about this with you when he already pointed out the obvious."

Thankfully... As much as you may want to think that all things should be according to what you, well, think they should be... Here's a little heads up... They aren't.

Edited by RidingAgain

Circling back to the original post...

Whoever did this

1. paid to get into Pace Bend 
  2. had a tool with them
  3. clearly thought they were doing people a favor.

With parks that are free and directly accessible from neighborhoods, my feeling is that you're *always* going to have someone that destroys stuff or changes things to their idea of what makes for a better trail.

But at Pace Bend? They could remind people at the gate that cutting trees and digging around is not allowed. They could hand out a flyer to people entering. They *could* put a sign in. It's controlled access, surely something can be done to educate people.

• Like 1

It is interesting that RA thinks that somehow having a magazine will help socialize the views of mountain bikers to the rest of society. And on this forum, full of mountain bikers, he struggles getting people to agree with his opinions. If he can't win over mountain bikers how can this magazine win over the hearts and minds of others?

This thread is a dead horse. Clearly there are multiple groups at odds and continuing to beat on this is not helping either side.

• Like 2

I agree that this thread is now beating a dead horse. This will be my final post to it.  But there are still some things that need to be said - that is the reason for my final post.

1) I will contact RA when I have few minutes to spare. Good ideas come from everywhere. You don't know a good idea until you check it out.

2) We were building on the new trail at Country Club Creek Greenbelt yesterday (map attached). I intentionally left about an 8" diameter log across a part of the new trail and cleared an alternate line so people could go around it. This is supposed to be a beginner friendly trail so there needed to be an alternate line for even a curb sized log. And I wanted to have something interesting for more advanced riders. About an hour later I walk thru that spot. The log has been cut and removed. FML. It seems a hiker decided to "help".

3) I have posted this link several times but I think all of them were on the old Mojo site. If you look at the map at - https://austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Parks/GIS/WalnutCreekMetroPark_LargeKiosk_Website.pdf you just might notice the Root Drop trail is a black line with black diamonds on it. The legend shows that marking means "Most Difficult". Most of that trail would be green if it didn't end in the Root Drop. Since the difficulty rating of a trail is supposed to be the rating of the most difficult part that can't be bypassed, that whole section is black diamond. PARD has not authorized any alternate line around the Root Drop. This map is posted at both the parking lot and Lincolnshire trail heads.

4) I am starting to think that trying to build trail for multiple skill levels is a fools game. So I think I will have a new "guideline" for future trail - If I can ride it without dabbing, it is too easy. I need to 'sketch it up' a bit. Let's see how much use those trails get. But I bet we don't get so much "help".

CCCGB Trail Concept 2.pdf

Edited by cxagent
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

It is interesting that RA thinks that somehow having a magazine will help socialize the views of mountain bikers to the rest of society. And on this forum, full of mountain bikers, he struggles getting people to agree with his opinions. If he can't win over mountain bikers how can this magazine win over the hearts and minds of others?

This thread is a dead horse. Clearly there are multiple groups at odds and continuing to beat on this is not helping either side.

LOL...

It seems that because of your own myopic condition you've completely missed the value of what I suggested. But that's understandable... There are not many people, who — kind of like what ATXZ did — think to ask about what someone is getting at... Rather than assume they know.

For instance...

AustinBike says... "It is interesting that RA thinks that somehow having a magazine will help socialize the views of mountain bikers to the rest of society."

Thing is... This is dishonest, as I never said nor suggest this approach be taken regarding the magaizine... And if you had read and understood my speaking regarding bottom up marketing, and positional marketing... You would have not made the foolish incorrect assumption you did in your above speaking.

In your above speaking you're suggesting that the magazine would be all about presenting the view of mountain bikers to society... But that's not at all what it would be.

AustinBike... Bottom up marketing is about meeting the target market where they are... And helping them come to where you want them to be (positional marketing).

Further...

AustinBike says... "And on this forum, full of mountain bikers, he struggles getting people to agree with his opinions."

It would be a struggle if "...getting people to agree with his opinions..." was my purpose for participating on this forum.

But again... In your assumption you have only exposed your ineptness at gaining a proper conclusion.

I'm not here to get people to agree with my opinions. After some 20+ years of participating on online forums, I'm way past the silliness of that expectation. 

Some plant, some water, some reap.

All I'm doing is either planting... Watering... Or, on the odd occasion, maybe reaping.

I present things... It's up to others to choose what to do with what I present. And what they choose is not my responsibility.

Further...

AustinBike continues... "If he can't win over mountain bikers how can this magazine win over the hearts and minds of others?"

But it isn't my intention to "...win mountain bikers...".

"...win..." then to what?

Become mountain bikers?

How silly is that.

They already are mountain bikers.

"...win..." mountain bikers to the thought that there should be, if possible, alternate routes within trail building?

This is already pretty much a standard being applied... Even here in Austin.

So, AustinBike... Attempting to draw a comparison between winning pver the hearts of mountain bikers and the hearts and minds of "...others..." is not a valid comparison.

It's also quite foolish in its superficiality.

I believe you travel all over the world for business, AustinBike... And I don't believe you do so taking the erroneous, superficial way you have in your speaking above, as you wouldn't be travelling the world doing business for long. At least... Not successfully.

Finally...

AustinBike says... "This thread is a dead horse. Clearly there are multiple groups at odds and continuing to beat on this is not helping either side."

Only if folks like you continue to speak the foolishness you just did.

Is it not possible for you to move beyond it?

38 minutes ago, cxagent said:

1) I will contact RA when I have few minutes to spare. Good ideas come from everywhere. You don't know a good idea until you check it out.

I look forward to meeting with you and helping in whatever way I can.

Thank you for the opportunity to do so.

Edited by RidingAgain