IGNORED

Anyone have a current update on Muleshoe bend?

bestbike85

Pretty sure it is open now. Floods are no longer an issue. I would call ahead just in case there is a race or event that has closed the trail. https://www.lcra.org/parks/Pages/muleshoe-bend.aspx

If Muleshoe is closed, jump over the Grelle - https://www.lcra.org/parks/Pages/grelle.aspx The trail is not as well developed for MTB but there is some good riding there. Download the map and just know it is a tough climb to get in/out but there are good trails on the other side.

As I have posted on other threads - 

The main loop is intended to be a beginner friendly  (green circle) trail. Currently there are five rocky, punchy climbs that are not beginner friendly. We have built and marked bypasses for the first two of them. We hope to get the other three build and marked soon. Maybe in the spring. The worst case is someone has to walk about 100 feet at the three remaining spots.

The side loops are the more challenging trails. Off the top of my head three are intermediate (blue square) and two are more difficult (black diamond). (Note I may have the count wrong as I may be confusing side loops with the bypasses. I have worked on a lot of other trails since I was last there.) The side loops are shown on the LCRA official map and marked with sign posts on the trail.

1 hour ago, TheX said:

I've never been there, I think I need to check it out.

I definitely recommend a ride out there. I love pace bend and get out there every couple of months, but this is a nice change from pace bend. Really clutch that they accept credit cards for the $5 entrance to  

Theres a few technical spots, 4-5, but a lot of fast and flowy stuff. Just a nice place to ride for a couple hours in my opinion. 

I did some laps including all the side loops this morn. All good to go. A few spots, like the first side loop by the parking lot, have some pretty heavy oak leaves covering the trail, but you can still follow the trail just back off the pace slightly.

As always, lots of good wildlife when you ride there. Right by the lower spot where the trail crosses the road this guy was on the prowl trying to finesse some ladies.e570355b6f110bad7e02acfc4f6c4847.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Hero Dirt and Zero People/Poop bags. Feels like you are truly out in the middle of nowhere at times. I give it 2 wheels up! Park look cleaned up and new camping spots and signs. The coveted Spot #9 is now #39 if you want to reserve some heaven. Main trail is now named The Great Escape and all the side trails are now named instead of A-E. Get some but don't tell too many people. Still one unnamed loop closest to the river but there are blank signposts ready for the stickers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bamwa said:

Hero Dirt and Zero People/Poop bags. Feels like you are truly out in the middle of nowhere at times. I give it 2 wheels up! Park look cleaned up and new camping spots and signs. The coveted Spot #9 is now #39 if you want to reserve some heaven. Main trail is now named The Great Escape and all the side trails are now named instead of A-E. Get some but don't tell too many people. Still one unnamed loop closest to the river but there are blank signposts ready for the stickers.

The park really has improved over the last couple of years. I don't know that I will ever be able to remember the new loop names--they'll always be A-E and that other trail with the labyrinth in my mind.

I rode Muleshoe for the first time a few weeks ago. My wife came with me and she is very new to mountain biking. They were very few spots on the main trail that were too difficult for her to roll but she enjoyed the rest of it. There are secondary trails off the main trail that are more technical and difficult. when we would reach one of those, I would go ride the more technical section and then meet up with her at the end of it. I ended up putting in a few more miles than her and we both had a good time.

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I rode Muleshoe for the first time a few weeks ago. My wife came with me and she is very new to mountain biking. They were very few spots on the main trail that were too difficult for her to roll but she enjoyed the rest of it. There are secondary trails off the main trail that are more technical and difficult. when we would reach one of those, I would go ride the more technical section and then meet up with her at the end of it. I ended up putting in a few more miles than her and we both had a good time.

That is *EXACTLY* what was intended. The green loop (Great Escape) is intended for everybody. There are still some mildly technical spots but not too technical for a newer or younger rider. I don't feel bad about a new rider walking about 100 feet of a roughly five mile loop.

We still need to built three bypasses for the remaining technical climbs on Great Escape. Someday. Hopefully soon.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cxagent said:

Hmmmm. All of the sticker were installed. I wonder if someone pulled the stickers off...

The blank signpost was on the Labyrinth Loop which had no entry/exit signpost since is didnt really begin off of Great Escape but rather that left side trail that heads towards the lake. That must be Sprocket Loop now that I look at the map. I could have missed something tho.

2 hours ago, cxagent said:

That is *EXACTLY* what was intended. The green loop (Great Escape) is intended for everybody. There are still some mildly technical spots but not too technical for a newer or younger rider. I don't feel bad about a new rider walking about 100 feet of a roughly five mile loop.

We still need to built three bypasses for the remaining technical climbs on Great Escape. Someday. Hopefully soon.

I'm checking with the listed Trail Steward to see about plans for those bypasses. 

--Cullen, ARR Trails Program Director 

23 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

When I first started riding, I rode Muleshoe every Monday. It was a great place to learn (also the first place I received a real injury.)

Also, tell your wife to be on the lookout for Ride Like a Girl. It should be starting some time this Spring. It is a great program for women who want to learn to mountain bike or to improve their skills.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...