IGNORED

What's on your workbench right now?

TheX

A VERY retro Miniature Aircraft X-Cell 60 R/C Helicopter. This will be a nitro burning, fire breathing BEAST. Found a brand new, unopened kit from almost 30 years ago. It will have a period correct OS 60 engine and gyro but a modern radio and servos.

x-cell-60.jpg

2008-07 - Advert for 50-60 Series helicopter.jpg

• Like 3

I wanted an x-cell in the late 90's as the next step up from fixed wing, but I ended moving to nitro on-road, first 1/10th touring but eventually going to 1/8th 4WD and 1/10th 2WD.  I still have a closetful of the stuff:  full car + spare car (I'd pre-assemble the corners for fast fixing between heats), spare engine, tire truer, setup board and fixtures, two painted bodies, 3 unpainted bodies.  I even dabbled in 1/12th scale (incredible amount of fun), 1/8th buggies and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting about.  I should get rid of it, but I can't, though I did sell my classic Associated RC10 (the gold tub with the white plastic pieces) to a French guy on e-bay years ago.  

I also have my airplane stuff.  That I'd like to get rid of.  I've tried donating it to the local club so they could maybe raffle it off to raise funds, but I got no responses.

On my bench for the last 4-5 years:  an Expobar Office Control espresso machine.  It worked but I was trying to figure out a delay in the operation between the button being pressed and the pump actuating.  I'll get it working again sometime..but now with kids and 7 bikes to maintain, I don't get too much tinker time.

On 12/28/2018 at 1:21 PM, taco_junkie said:

I don't have any planes that I remember but I do have a radio and a few engines. A 46 and a 18 IIRC. A few other odds and ends. Wife would be pretty happy if I could clear it out. I haven't touched that stuff in years.

Nice meeting you today! That radio got mounted in a plane for a 14 year old newbie flyer today. His dad said to thank you!

• Like 2

On 12/27/2018 at 2:55 PM, AntonioGG said:

I wanted an x-cell in the late 90's as the next step up from fixed wing, but I ended moving to nitro on-road, first 1/10th touring but eventually going to 1/8th 4WD and 1/10th 2WD.  I still have a closetful of the stuff:  full car + spare car (I'd pre-assemble the corners for fast fixing between heats), spare engine, tire truer, setup board and fixtures, two painted bodies, 3 unpainted bodies.  I even dabbled in 1/12th scale (incredible amount of fun), 1/8th buggies and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting about.  I should get rid of it, but I can't, though I did sell my classic Associated RC10 (the gold tub with the white plastic pieces) to a French guy on e-bay years ago.  

I also have my airplane stuff.  That I'd like to get rid of.  I've tried donating it to the local club so they could maybe raffle it off to raise funds, but I got no responses.

On my bench for the last 4-5 years:  an Expobar Office Control espresso machine.  It worked but I was trying to figure out a delay in the operation between the button being pressed and the pump actuating.  I'll get it working again sometime..but now with kids and 7 bikes to maintain, I don't get too much tinker time.

It was great meeting you the other day, and thanks for the stuff. Keeping the hobby alive is tough, young people are too busy with other things to think flying RC planes is cool, but we are reaching some of them.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

On 12/27/2018 at 2:55 PM, AntonioGG said:

You reminded me of all my 1/8 stuff, electric and nitro sitting in a bin wasting away.  I was into it yrs ago. We built a track at a VFW only to see it gone months later.

I'm glad I looked. Lipos were a little swollen. Damn

4 minutes ago, larlev said:

I'm glad I looked. Lipos were a little swollen. Damn

Little fire bombs waiting to go off. They only lose about 1% of their charge per year but they go bad just sitting if they have a full charge to begin with.

11 minutes ago, TheX said:

Little fire bombs waiting to go off. They only lose about 1% of their charge per year but they go bad just sitting if they have a full charge to begin with.

Yep, it's been so long forgot they were in there. They are out and in safe spot now.

Nice meeting you too!

Yeah my stuff is old enough that the best batteries I have are 3300mAh NiMH packs I made.  The LiPo was just coming out and I remember lots of people loosing planes because of them and recommending to charge in a ceramic pot.  People were mixing batteries with different chargers though, and that is a recipe for disaster.

I miss the smell of the castor oil and nitro and the foam rubber tires.    

I may start-up my MRX3 again just to get he smells!