IGNORED

PNW Components Cascade Dropper. $200 well spent

AustinBike

N of 1 here but I installed a PNW dropper on my commencal hard tail and the lever was incredibly hard to press to activate the dropper. Cable was hooked up correctly. I called pnw and they said it was normal to need to shift weight on your seat to make it easier to activate. 

i  bought a one up dropper for the same price and didn’t have that issue. 

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

Have both and prefer the PNW but I have the loam. Seems less effected by the seat clamp creating stiction on the dropper.

Also, I remove the seal collar from time to time and drop a little slick honey in there to keep things moving smoothly.

My Orbea dropper is the same way with leverage causing it to stick, but frequent cleaning and slick honey really helps a lot.

• Like 1

Dropper install did not go as planned. 

The shortest travel PNW is 120mm  and it turns out I need a 100. 

This has to do with being able to adjust the dropper post so that it comes up to exactly the correct seat height.  The PNW was a little too high for my set up. 

Mr June Bug has a new-to-him Chumba titanium hardtail that needed a dropper seat post so the PNW (120mm height + seat post diameter were perfect) is now on the Chumba.  

The 2013 Salsa Spearfish frame has external routing, so very limited on dropper seat post selection. 

LBS will order a KS e20 or (hopefully) KS Dropzone Remote.

KS Dropzone Remote is lighter and has a "1-way roller clutch bearing" that's not listed for the KS e20 but is listed for their somewhat higher-end droppers. 

On 8/18/2022 at 9:25 PM, June Bug said:

Dropper install did not go as planned. 

The shortest travel PNW is 120mm  and it turns out I need a 100. 

You know the loam has 25mm of height adjust?  So the shortest Loam at 125mm can actually be run at 100mm!  I'll be installing one tonight to replace a 6yo 100mm Transfer that isn't worth rebuilding...

Edited by ssorgs
Now that I’ve actually installed one, it can only REDUCE travel up to 25mm- which is still awesome (and I needed -10mm).
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 8:25 PM, June Bug said:

LBS will order a KS e20 or (hopefully) KS Dropzone Remote.

KS Dropzone Remote is lighter and has a "1-way roller clutch bearing" that's not listed for the KS e20 but is listed for their somewhat higher-end droppers. 

Turns out the  cabling for the KS Dropzone remote creates a loop of cable when the post is compressed so the mechanic does not recommend. 

KS e20 it is.  Should arrive on Tuesday. 

I'm late to the party on this one, and is often the case, I purchased a higher-end option - SRAM AXS wireless dropper for my singlespeed. Not cheap, but boy, is it precise and so nice not to have cabling and zip ties all over the place.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on my 3rd PNW post now. First the Cascade externally routed, then the Bachelor, and now the Pine 27.2. All three have been great with a little maintenance now and then to keep them clean and smooth. Occasionally, I need to top off the air pressure in the Bachelor but we're talking like once or twice a year.

The Pine is a great post if you have an older steel frame or a gravel bike that doesn't have internal routing. It's basically a thinner, shorter travel Cascade. I got the 110mm travel, but they make a 90mm as well.

...and the Loam Lever is still the best one on the market. Wolftooth is pretty close, and OneUp may have just topped them with their latest lever.

On 9/6/2022 at 2:50 PM, AustinBike said:

Having ridden a fully rigid steel bike on this trip I am starting to think that maybe I need a dropper for for. Might be time for a pine. If I can't have shocks, at least get me some clearance so I can do the switchbacks a little better.

a few among the ASS crew ride rigid bikes with big tires, but most of them have adopted dropper posts over time. simple bikes are great but you ca do so much more with the saddle "out of the way." if you want that simple feel, there's the KS ExaForm that has a lever under the saddle instead of a handlebar lever.