IGNORED

old BCGB trail map

crazyt

43 minutes ago, cxagent said:

Does anybody have a copy of the trail map the SOS (Save Our Springs) sold a few years (4 or 5?) back that showed most of the trails in the BCGB? I can't find mine. I was looking for it to post in answer to crazyt's post.

I was thinking the SOS map was too new. The map from reddit may be old enough that it predates BCP and so those trails are automatically grandfathered.

I used to still have one of those old paper book of trail maps ARR used to sell thru LBS as a fundraiser back in the mid 90’s. Might be able to re-locate it. Hopefully it wasn’t in the box of stuff in my office the dog pee’d on that I tossed recently.

It was hilarious looking at maps of Forest Ridge, the Rifle Range etc.

As soon as the rain stops I need to pack up Christmas lights so I’ll dig around the attic while I’m up there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, crazyt said:

I was thinking the SOS map was too new. The map from reddit may be old enough that it predates BCP and so those trails are automatically grandfathered.

ALL trail maps are useful. The SOS map would not document grandfathered trails (before BCP in 1996). But it clearly documents the hypocrisy of one group (MTB) being not allowed while another group (SOS) selling maps to those same trails.

BCP generally decides what they want to recognize based on some undefined logic - maybe a Magic Eight Ball or rolling dice. We pulled a map out of the 1999 BCP land management plan that they chose to not recognize. Yes - that was their document. They had a different map they liked better so they recognized it instead.

2 hours ago, Chongo Loco said:

I used to still have one of those old paper book of trail maps ARR used to sell thru LBS as a fundraiser back in the mid 90’s. Might be able to re-locate it. Hopefully it wasn’t in the box of stuff in my office the dog pee’d on that I tossed recently.

It was hilarious looking at maps of Forest Ridge, the Rifle Range etc.

As soon as the rain stops I need to pack up Christmas lights so I’ll dig around the attic while I’m up there.

I thought you were talking about this book. But Forest Ridge and Rifle Range are not in there. And I don't think ARR had anything to do with this book. I would love to see that book if you can find it.

Sorry the image is upside down. I have no clue how to fix it. I rotated the image in Paint and reloaded it, but it still comes back in upside down.

247118971_CTxMTBBook.thumb.jpg.583b371241f207984bd98cb3901a904f.jpg

Edited by cxagent
Added picture

The book I posted was written and produced by a local MTB rider. He may have been part of a group that produced other areas but I don't know. I met him a year or two ago when he donated a bunch of cinder block to ARR. He said he still has his bike and wanted to start riding again. I hope he does.

BTW - I have a copy of a similar book about trails near Moab. My wife calls it the "Liar Mel" book. She and a riding buddy did a ride in Castle Valley while the rest of the group rode Porcupine Rim. They got lost. And then they got lost again. And then they got lost some more. Not to say Mel's book is bad - but there is only so much that can be shared in a one page description of the ~30 mile trail. And when the book says to turn at the sign for the camp, she did not expect to be looking for a 3" x 3" picture of a tent on a Carsonite post. Fortunately I had given her a Garmin with maps in it. They finally made it out at sun down when at the time I was starting to ride backwards with lights in hope of finding them. To tell you how desperate this was I had gone metal to metal on my rear brake at the top of Porcupine. I still had no rear brake on my bike. I was not going to allow anybody to ride with me so I could move faster. And because I had 'borrowed' all of the batteries for lights. I expected to be out all night looking for them.

On 12/29/2018 at 7:16 PM, cxagent said:

Does anybody have a copy of the trail map the SOS (Save Our Springs) sold a few years (4 or 5?) back that showed most of the trails in the BCGB? I can't find mine. I was looking for it to post in answer to crazyt's post.

If it would help the cause, I’d be happy to send it to you. 

142E3CF1-D8BD-4BAD-A5ED-E49682BB8F54.jpeg

On 12/29/2018 at 7:16 PM, cxagent said:

I'll see if I can find it. I forgot all about that map until you mentioned

I thought you were talking about this book. But Forest Ridge and Rifle Range are not in there. And I don't think ARR had anything to do with this book. I would love to see that book if you can find it.
Sorry the image is upside down. I have no clue how to fix it. I rotated the image in Paint and reloaded it, but it still comes back in upside down.

247118971_CTxMTBBook.thumb.jpg.583b371241f207984bd98cb3901a904f.jpg

Haha. My wife found this at Goodwill or somewhere and put it in my stocking for Xmas. A lot has changed since this came out. I wonder if I still have my Kelly Creek t-shirt somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chongo Loco said:

Here's the full booklet.   Didn't remember the Block House place in Luckenbach. Can't believe people still aren't wandering around lost from some of these maps! 

Centex maps.pdf

What a walk down memory lane!  When I moved here in 96' (and visited in 95'), I used that booklet to sample some of the local trails.  Many memories tied up in the pages of those descriptions.

-CJB

I started riding on visits to the in-laws around 95 and we moved here full time in 98.

I’ve got a binder full of old maps from all over the south like those. Screen shots from Mapquest to the trailhead and sketchy hand drawn “not to scale” maps. I loved the adventure of it back then!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Browndog said:

Haha. My wife found this at Goodwill or somewhere and put it in my stocking for Xmas. A lot has changed since this came out. I wonder if I still have my Kelly Creek t-shirt somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Wife (Girlfriend then) bought me that book when it came out.  No telling where I put it.

On 12/30/2018 at 11:40 AM, cxagent said:

The book I posted was written and produced by a local MTB rider. He may have been part of a group that produced other areas but I don't know. I met him a year or two ago when he donated a bunch of cinder block to ARR. He said he still has his bike and wanted to start riding again. I hope he does.

BTW - I have a copy of a similar book about trails near Moab. My wife calls it the "Liar Mel" book. She and a riding buddy did a ride in Castle Valley while the rest of the group rode Porcupine Rim. They got lost. And then they got lost again. And then they got lost some more. Not to say Mel's book is bad - but there is only so much that can be shared in a one page description of the ~30 mile trail. And when the book says to turn at the sign for the camp, she did not expect to be looking for a 3" x 3" picture of a tent on a Carsonite post. Fortunately I had given her a Garmin with maps in it. They finally made it out at sun down when at the time I was starting to ride backwards with lights in hope of finding them. To tell you how desperate this was I had gone metal to metal on my rear brake at the top of Porcupine. I still had no rear brake on my bike. I was not going to allow anybody to ride with me so I could move faster. And because I had 'borrowed' all of the batteries for lights. I expected to be out all night looking for them.

I had a similar experience in Moab, with an earlier Trail Guide.  After getting hopelessly lost on the Porcupine Rim trail following tire tracks after the guide book's descriptions became useless, we ended up on Matt Martin Point as darkness approached.  After several attempts to just follow the nearest drainage down to the River and ending up at a 30 foot pour-off, I convinced my buddy that we weren't going to get back to our camp at the Slickrock Trail safely (fully dark by now and we have one little mini mag light between us).  It was Fall and temperatures were expected to be in the low 40s.  We found a place out of the wind and settled in for the night with a fire to ease the discomfort.  Then it started raining.  We managed to move the fire across the arroyo under a rock ledge for shelter and after eating Advil for supper and drinking the last of our water we attempted to sleep.  At the first hint of light I was up, having barely slept and started exploring hoping to figure out how to get down to the River.  I found a USGS marker pounded into the rock and was able to find that marker on our tiny topo map in the guidebook and soon we were on the trail and limping into Moab for a huge breakfast.  At breakfast we happened to notice a disclaimer in the book that stated that the information in the guide was just enough to get you lost.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 11:35 AM, Browndog said:

I wonder if I still have my Kelly Creek t-shirt somewhere.

Auugghhh. My shirt was just destroyed. I thought that shirt would never die, but my dog grabbed it and ran, and my daughter decided to help out and grabbed the other end of the shirt, pulled, and it ripped. This happened a couple weeks ago!

Kelly Creek was a good trail. I raced it once back in '94 I think.