IGNORED

2022 SATN SOCIAL June 4th

The Tip

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 2.41.56 PM.png

I thought I would start a new thread to avoid any confusion.

67 total miles, 100K of it sweet single track. (is it okay to mix miles and kilometers in one sentence?)

Four different routes of 17 miles each, that start and stop at our sponsor, ATX Bikes.  How many routes can you do in eight hours?

MTBATX site has all of the four routes on Strava and TrailForks. Use your favorite:

https://www.mtbatx.com/satnsocial2022?fbclid=IwAR1o5ptAwFwOpuiAsjGJ-rsU7CYc8x8-BnUTG2NoXt2ed-oe-BkFzFBqNL8

There's an event up on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/events/323834089619972/?ref=newsfeed

There will be tee shirts. $15 before the event, $20 day of and afterwards. We are just trying to break even on them. These are the "cool technology" shirts that cost $19 on Amazon. And those don't have amazing logos on them!

Did I mention that it's free. Including the entry, beer, food, and swag drawing?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Tip said:

67 total miles, 100K of it sweet single track. (is it okay to mix miles and kilometers in one sentence?)

It is! For example you might say, "4 laps of the Goodwater trail is just over 100 miles! And 100K of rock garden!" 

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like your input please. I am going to put the following out on the internet. It's in lieu of a pre ride long winded speech. Does it make sense and convey everything that needs to be conveyed? Also, who of you are going to attend and what are you going to attempt to do? How many of the four segments? 

Anyway, here's what I have right now:

SATN SOCIAL 2022

The SATN SOCIAL’s purpose is to share the joy of The South Austin Trail Network. Not only the 120 miles of single track, but also the fantastic SATN community of mountain bikers. 

Please give a big thank you to our sponsor, ATX BIKES, located right in the center of the SATN universe. Next time you go buy something there, tell them it’s because they sponsored the SOCIAL. Hopefully we can trick them into continuing to do this thing!

We also want to thank Wiley Mosely from GIANT Bikes for providing our food and the Austin Beerworks beer.

Big thanks to Darren Poole from SHIMANO for lots of the great drawing prizes.

Thank you to ATHLETIC Brewing for their generous donation of tasty non-alcoholic brews.

Thank you to Damon Landry from Signs Express for his design work on the cool SOCIAL jerseys.

Thanks to Dale Daughertry for creating a SATN SOCIAL page on the MTBATX.com website

Huge thanks to the SATN SMOOTH CREW. Identify them by the special “respect the trail” logo on their shirt sleeves. Thank them for working so hard getting the trails in perfect shape for this event. Realize that no government entity does anything for any of our single track trails. It’s all good citizen volunteers that do it. Everyone that rides them should feel obligated to give something back at some point. If nothing more than to purposely “ride the sides'' every now and then to knock back encroaching vegetation. (lecture over!)

WARNING! Mountain Biking is inherently dangerous! There are things that can kill you out here. Be ever diligent in looking out for your own safety.

There are four 17 mile-ish segments. The fastest riders can do them in just over 1 ½ hours. The 8 am start will allow these strong riders to do all 67 miles.

Do the math on how many segments you can complete. You can start any time (after 8 am) but you must be back by 4 pm to be eligible for the drawings. 

There are multiple ways to do this event. Here are some examples:

Start at 8 am. Do as many as you can. Hang out for the rest of the day.

Start at 8 am with the intent of only doing one then going home to rest then come back at 3:30 for the festivities.

Start at 11 am to do two segments to finish up at 3:30-ish.

Start at 1:30, ride 17 miles, finish just before 4 pm, start enjoying the refreshments.

Come at any time during the day. If you are unsure how to follow the segments on Strava or Trailforks, look for someone that does, so you can follow them. Or if you know how to, declare in the parking lot something like, “I’m going to attempt the south and north at 9 mph average.” Gather a group and go!

Earn a raffle ticket for each segment completed. Get a bonus ticket for completing all four. Get two additional tickets if you do all four perfectly. Proven by your Strava ride. This is as much an orienteering challenge as it is a riding one.

The biggest rule for the event is…to have fun!

No, that sucks. Are you getting complaints about your speeches? Because that's 70% of the reason I show up to your events. We  need to get you a teleprompter so you can script them and really shine them up.

You appreciate that you're hosting the biggest regular MTB ride roll-outs in the ATX area right? Don't  look for ways to mess with it.

Edited by Barry

No registry. Show up before 8 am and be ready for wheels down at 8:10. Be back 8 hours later. Show Strava to ticket issuers.

Speaking of swag for the raffle, the Santa Cruz rep just this week donated ten Giro helmets. There are lots and lots of smaller things too. 

The picture above of the shirt still shows for me but here it is again. $20 Saturday. cheap enough

5T2tQwseEq14qKiUEDnPBBSkQY_hQjxUBSPrmPR4g-I-JVNuwCs6v59gRNahS60zTbTzrAk3yYzFoUUavNjwOcmuZSYTZbFWzsBWHA2GS3n_K_XwX7UjmtILYCn0Y8_ycUXs_hQFOkXK88PXI80qUxDbsce4e73VImGOHwLqTipM9b0PNZ-0obQ2pQX4IABkiE8aCcIJ8_4IBeeC8WDuOy_M-7fef4xD_nvqoNbJ_tLFncH8FBFOzcknDq0r6x9ygIF28fqFO3BY3-jIRB973XUJk1FTJZHYIBFJsCVK1V6798-I4341ynzs1kMXcZaRmfV6oQAoY1q6OeTXrSNoppVrfAOsvAEo5iXYB5Upz6CxqqY-MGjLn-VWYge0uZK6f6KN9uOvCiTsiQpnWmtfOF16mHia27OkrMKRkJ9LEC9SKFffEJooZfDUdY23KQsgl8iukWkk4i9aVGqHIGHXfvzVcX4xfmfc4V2GokiNLhM38y7Hvt_r1Luz21GqnXW9aNUGTCruIH_8Q5g4Q65PxaOVYsQKW8VNCA785Hq8EebeJ3aF-ckyk2-9GkDY7s9-TEShPbBEhtPTE68uk2Fk3LDu4vm-dBFcbggy7uemYabXcM12xFJYTrTGlrxTbmIka0Hm7Y2iUgdHK-hqG1UVk9nYOBD6NfHZVteuuq206ZHNvVbWBNaLiwJ9dXRBoFL3TMmCHY4o65iBMSx6QEnApL29DBOlQFoNVusDTGFMVli4x2yB-ipm_EPyMw-e=w615-h617-no?authuser=0

52 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Thanks for the info.  

I was contemplating buying a shirt, but I already have 2 with a white background and a small blue question mark box in the center.  I don't need another one.

Thanks
CJB

This is what I see,   Do you have one of these?

image.thumb.png.83ae18ed6c6dcae58ec26d8720f91ce4.png

• Like 1

The rain disrupted things. But there still was riding and the after party was great fun.

BUT...it will happen again this coming Saturday, June 11. Same bat time, same bat station.

Bless ATX Bikes for being behind this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Barry said:

Surely it's a good business decision to have that many cyclists lingering in their parking lot.  

Of course. It's a business decision for bike shops to sponsor things. But I was taken aback yesterday when, due to a couple of different things, the porta potty ended up costing them $1,400. Guess what we are NOT going to have this next week? lol

And wait until you see the swag table next week. There is a lot of stuff to give away in the ticket drawing.

2022 SATN SOCIAL, Saturday, June 11th, 8 am

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 3

The Vegas handicapping services have posted the line on this event on how many riders will complete all four routes. The over/under is 8.5. The opening line was 13.5 but some heavy west coast money came in on the under because of the weather and moved it down.

68 dirt miles will be a challenge in the heat. Hydration and nutrition will be even more important

• Like 1