IGNORED

Green Mountain Pellet grill

larlev

Was very skeptical about these, but DAMN. I've done 4 cooks on it now. Pork butt, Ribs, Chicken, Steaks/seafood. 

Pretty freakin nice to set the thing,  and go work our bikes, ride....whatever. We rode WC few weeks ago and had pork cooking. Wifi let's me control everything from wherever.

I've noticed you dont get quite as much smoke flavor compared to my kamado. Still not bad though

20181201_141430.jpg

20181225_145850.jpg

Edited by larlev
  • Like 2

My brother in law has a Traeger and swears by it. I've been looking for a used one. Academy has an Outdoor Gourmet for a good price with lots of grill space that I was looking at. I love the idea of the pellet grill/smokers but I am scared that the mechanical parts are going to break. But I don't like being tied down when smoking. I need to reload wood every two hours or so when using my propane vertical smoker. It would be great to set it and come back in eight hours or whatever.

6 minutes ago, The Tip said:

My brother in law has a Traeger and swears by it. I've been looking for a used one. Academy has an Outdoor Gourmet for a good price with lots of grill space that I was looking at. I love the idea of the pellet grill/smokers but I am scared that the mechanical parts are going to break. But I don't like being tied down when smoking. I need to reload wood every two hours or so when using my propane vertical smoker. It would be great to set it and come back in eight hours or whatever.

I got this one on sale for $499. I'm with you, love to smoke meat but want to do other things while doing it.  Its been a great buy so far. Hopefully long term it holds up

If you want a smoker that really works well consider a Weber Smokey Mountain. You can load it up with enough fuel to maintain 250 degrees for around 12 hours. It also has a small foot print not taking up much space. Mine is the 18.5 inch and can easily smoke two briskets at the same time. Some examples, this is a five hour brisket, size was around thirteen pounds.

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_8856.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

• Like 4

My brother, who is a commercial pilot, started making Jerk Pork in his garage (he lives in Trinidad) using a Weber smoker like the one above. His friends kept asking him to make some for them when he was doing his own cook, even bringing over their pork for him. He ended up with about four or five of them (smokers).

Fast forward to today... My brother owns the most popular restaurant chain of Jamaican food/Jerk pork in Trinidad — last I heard he was up to four restaurants (been in business for 20 years now. But a real garage to successful business venture. And yes, the Webers got replaced by walk-in rooms with big smokers.

Layout1_1_POAAAiJerkCenAM.jpg

Layout1_1_PUNY6iJerkCenAM.jpg

Edited by RidingAgain
  • Like 1