IGNORED

Looking vs. Seeing

I was riding at Pedernales Falls S.P. on Tuesday afternoon and lost my phone on the Juniper Ridge Trail.  It fell out of the front pocket of my shorts and once I realized it was missing I had to backtrack to look for it.  I found myself scanning the trail corridor intently and much less focused on the many obstacles I was riding through.  It was an interesting sensation to be riding through almost continuous rock gardens but with a totally different focus than just minutes before.  My anxiety had shifted from finding the best line to hoping that I found my phone.  I probably backtracked 30 minutes or more and had my doubts that I would find it.  I did eventually find it and was of course relieved.  It made me think of the often repeated adage about looking where you want to go and not at the obstacles you want to avoid.  Though I have spouted that wisdom to beginner riders more than a few times, it is easier said than done with self-preservation instincts being what they are.  As a technique to take your focus off of the obstacles that could cause you trouble, looking for your lost phone on or near the trail can’t be beat!

And as a bonus I finished the ride with rain dripping off my visor and my glasses completely covered with mist.

F4021CDA-0DBB-4DE3-95A3-136C03C0B000.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Glad you found your phone.  FYI, this is something Garmin watches (not sure about other devices) could be helpful with.  My Garmin watch has a find my phone feature.  Once it gets within range, it makes the phone play a loud ring so you can find it.  I imagine other connected wearables do something similar.

• Like 1