IGNORED

Reveille Peak Ranch Trail Conditions

Raincrystal

• 3 weeks later...
  • Albert changed the title to Reveille Peak Ranch Trail Conditions
  • 1 month later...

I’m going to gripe a bit here. Went to RPR this morning and it is in awful condition. The dirt and rocks are fine, that’s not what I’m complaining about. How overgrown the trails are is ridiculous. Not to mention there are 4 trees (that I came across) down in the middle of trails. 2 of which I had to lock up the tires and hardly was able to stop, completely slamming into one of them. One of the semi table tops on flow trail got a face lift recently and holy shit it bucks you straight up  That’s not a good jump.

Even jaws is over grown outside on one little skinny line. 

For a private ranch it’s really disappointing the condition. 

I attribute much of this to spider mountain opening and putting a hit on it in terms of bike traffic and revenue for the ranch, but there needs to be some effort by the owner. 

I don’t plan on returning any time soon. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 1:54 PM, bestbike85 said:

...Not to mention there are 4 trees (that I came across) down in the middle of trails. 2 of which I had to lock up the tires and hardly was able to stop, completely slamming into one of them... 

Yeah last time we went, my buddy came around a corner and hit tree that was across the trail just about helmet height.   Cracked his helmet, chipped two teeth, tore up his back pretty good.   To their credit, they have cleared that one.    BUT WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO THE FLOW TRACK!?!?!??!    The lower half is annihilated - as in, with a bulldozer.    (This was today.)  Anybody know what they're doing?  

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 2:44 PM, JustSomeGuy said:

Yeah last time we went, my buddy came around a corner and hit tree that was across the trail just about helmet height.   Cracked his helmet, chipped two teeth, tore up his back pretty good.   To their credit, they have cleared that one.    BUT WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO THE FLOW TRACK!?!?!??!    The lower half is annihilated - as in, with a bulldozer.    (This was today.)  Anybody know what they're doing?  

lol, I bet I hit the same tree. My buddy and I argued over whether we should go somewhere else to ride or finish it out. I was getting pretty tired of all the dead trees across the trail.

• 6 months later...

All depends on what your looking for.  The beginner loop(blue) is a good overall representation of what's out there.  The race loop(red) gets more technical and is a lot of fun.  Plus all the down hill lines, I enjoy hitting flow trial into Flodelo, then normally once down El Patron, and then new beginner line right there not sure if it has a name yet.

On my normal ride out there I'll hit the race loop out of the high fence gate.  Till it crosses the beginner loop after the creek crossing(going clockwise), then jump onto beginner, to decision point trail, turn left there.  Climb to the peak, then jump onto the rattler loop/Carozzo loop.  Follow that back around to you come back onto the beginner loop near the creek crossing.  Follow beginner all the way around to Flow, then Flodello. Then back onto the beginner loop, back up to the high fence.  That will be a good 17ish miles out there.  And lots of fun!

One thing I would mention is tat when you at the high fence gate, you can see across the valley on your left another ridge.  We get to play mostly between the ride you're currently standing on and that one.  So if you get turned around just keep heading down, till you get into the valley and find RPR trail.  It's marked in yellow, and is the yellow brick rode to get you back up to the high fence gate.  And if you are lucky enough there will be people at the range, and it's a great way to orientate yourself on the ranch. 

Have fun!!

All depends on what your looking for.  The beginner loop(blue) is a good overall representation of what's out there.  The race loop(red) gets more technical and is a lot of fun.  Plus all the down hill lines, I enjoy hitting flow trial into Flodelo, then normally once down El Patron, and then new beginner line right there not sure if it has a name yet.

On my normal ride out there I'll hit the race loop out of the high fence gate.  Till it crosses the beginner loop after the creek crossing(going clockwise), then jump onto beginner, to decision point trail, turn left there.  Climb to the peak, then jump onto the rattler loop/Carozzo loop.  Follow that back around to you come back onto the beginner loop near the creek crossing.  Follow beginner all the way around to Flow, then Flodello. Then back onto the beginner loop, back up to the high fence.  That will be a good 17ish miles out there.  And lots of fun!

One thing I would mention is tat when you at the high fence gate, you can see across the valley on your left another ridge.  We get to play mostly between the ride you're currently standing on and that one.  So if you get turned around just keep heading down, till you get into the valley and find RPR trail.  It's marked in yellow, and is the yellow brick rode to get you back up to the high fence gate.  And if you are lucky enough there will be people at the range, and it's a great way to orientate yourself on the ranch. 

Have fun!!

Awesome Thanks for info ...ill keep posted ..should be riding Saturday

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, skinned elbows said:

Awesome Thanks for info ...ill keep posted ..should be riding Saturday

Looks like I will be out there tomorrow after all.  We are planning wheels down around 8:00.  If you see me say hi!  Flat black and grey Epic, with inverted fork.  Middle aged fat and slow guy riding it!

Eric

I ended up following a couple guys I met in parking lot that were using gps to follow a track...ended up around 11 miles
I know we started from the gate to race loop and ended up at the top of decision point but then from there I couldn't tell you..it was fun but did spend a lot of time re-orientating.

I think a lot of the traffic is being pulled to spider just down the road because it wasn't crowded at all which was nice

If you plan on camping and are looking for a less roughing it place to stay check out canyon of the eagles at end of road past spider...its nice with cabins and on site restaurant/ amenities and regular primitive and rv too

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This was my first time at RPR in years.  The last time I went, it was a mess with the new road, debris/brush, and even the downhill stuff looking a bit worn.

This time the trails were perfect.  There's a ton of signage with some big fancy maps which are nice if you want to stop and not have to pull your phone out.  There are also a ton of PVC poles with some coloring on them to help you navigate.

But with the Carroza trail and some places where there are many intersections within view of each other, a few arrows would go a long way here and there.  And I'm talking about only a handful of arrows total.  Where Upper Loop, RPR Loop, and Race Trail intersect, and where Decision point and race trail intersect, and finally at one spot on the rock in the RPR Loop where it almost doubles back and the race loop continues on.  There are poles there but sometimes it's hard to tell what you've already gone through and sometimes it's hard to see them when you're looking down the trail. A few poles need a re-spraying since the paint is faded.  There are some really nice metal street-sign type of signs in a few spots which do help.

Trailforks definitely allowed me to navigate once I stopped and looked.  I was there for 3hours 10 minutes.  I spent 45 min of it stopping to find where I was (though I had a specific route I wanted to follow).  OK maybe 5 minutes I stopped for pictures.

The trails are awesome and a ton of fun so I recommend it.

Edited by AntonioGG
added note about stoppage time
  • Like 1

Good post @AntonioGG, I agree that the Corroza Trial has confused the shit out of several of the other trails. I have a buddy who was riding there a bunch a few years ago, and he created a segment called, "doesn't get anymore confusing than this." But since Strava reports that I've done that segment 25 times (just this direction!) in the last 3 years, I reckon I don't get very confused... But since I rode the peak loop both ways and Corroza, and the Trail Party line (yes, three trails go though a largely unmarked rock slab here), you can see why the segment name makes sense:

image.png.b6aec1a8e73fe5fb5418108e1b3de880.png

Although the good news is that the Corroza trail has largely (and finally) reverted to wide corridor, beginner level fast singletrack. And it also has a ton of off-trail rock crawls and rollers to play on if you're so inclined (and I am). It's fun to randomly hit a rock spine or slab and then ride it to see if you can connect it back up to the trail...or if you're SOL and have to walk it out because you're not Danny Mac.

And I'll add that the concert venue also made for some confusing gaps in the trails, particularly on Race Loop and somewhat on BEG. 

I'm also bummed at the state of the Inner Loop. Looking that the Inner Loop segment, only 4 Strava individuals have ridden it since the Corroza trail cluster-fuck in 2017...including me, and I led 2 of the others through it...and the 4th individual is a follower of mine and likely was using my route to navigate! So yeah, it's just me, and my activity hasn't been able to keep nature from recovering this trail. So it's a total loss unless they organize a work day to clean it up and re-route some bits. It's a shame, because it has some really nice slickrock spots.

• Like 1

I didn't even make it out to the Trail Party and Concert venue area.  I would have gone that way if not for the time loss and late start.  

My plan had been to do the race loop + RPR Loop + Upper + Inner and anything extra was a bonus.  

I also enjoyed the Carrozza trail better than parts of the race loop (had to look it up, two r's and two z's named after the RunTex founder I'm guessing since the trail I think is meant to cater to trail runners.)

3 hours ago, Barry said:

I'm also bummed at the state of the Inner Loop. 

If memory serves, the Inner Loop was only ever marked with those little plastic reflectors, and those were only meant to serve as a loose guide - Chardog said you should take whatever line looked fun to you. I'm thinking I could still find my way around that loop, since I never really followed markings, it was more looking for landmarks. Having said that, it's been a long time, and maybe the bulldozers made their way up onto the rock.