IGNORED

Put on some flats yesterday. Wasnt pretty

larlev

1 hour ago, jcarneytx said:

Anyone know differences from Time to Eggbeaters? I HATE my Eggbeaters; the always feel like they're about to let loose, and frequently do. I move my knees/legs a lot and SPDs just keep feet locked in. Whenever I ride the Eggbeaters, feet frequently unlatch from pedals. 

I have been using Times for years and love them. Solid. They don't break like Eggbeaters (although I have crunched quite a few over the years.)

The best bet are to stay away from the cheap ones. I run XC8's one my primary bikes, just picked up some cheap XC2's for my urban bar bike but I would never put those on my mountain bikes. The XC8's are carbon whereas the XC6 and below are composite, which I believe is French for plastic. I have not used the M's at all, never needed the platform but those look interesting.

I put Time pedals in the same category as Thomson products - yeah, they are expensive, but over time you realize why. Plus, as a bonus for old men, they are great on the knees.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I have been using Times for years and love them. Solid. They don't break like Eggbeaters (although I have crunched quite a few over the years.)

The best bet are to stay away from the cheap ones. I run XC8's one my primary bikes, just picked up some cheap XC2's for my urban bar bike but I would never put those on my mountain bikes. The XC8's are carbon whereas the XC6 and below are composite, which I believe is French for plastic. I have not used the M's at all, never needed the platform but those look interesting.

I put Time pedals in the same category as Thomson products - yeah, they are expensive, but over time you realize why. Plus, as a bonus for old men, they are great on the knees.

Is there a difference in cleats? They Time and Eggbeater pedals both LOOK like a bar in front, bar in back (though Times have always had the minimal platform between them.) A friend liked the  Eggs, so thought I would try them out. First ride down Hill of Life left my tibia in 3 pieces and ripped the fibula off. Only used them a few times on the single speed since, but are currently in tool box. They're built really nicely, but afraid to use them. 

Cleats are different. Even though they look the same, I do not believe they are interchangeable. When you buy pedals you get the cleats, don't cheap out on trying to save a few pennies in a situation that could land you in the emergency room. Even if it only a couple of millimeters off, that could be all the difference in the world.

I have seen too many eggbeaters break mid-ride to ever trust them. And the really basic model has zero platform, so if you ever do come loose, you're really screwed.

9 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

Is there a difference in cleats? They Time and Eggbeater pedals both LOOK like a bar in front, bar in back (though Times have always had the minimal platform between them.) A friend liked the  Eggs, so thought I would try them out. First ride down Hill of Life left my tibia in 3 pieces and ripped the fibula off. Only used them a few times on the single speed since, but are currently in tool box. They're built really nicely, but afraid to use them. 

Times and Egg beaters are totally different products with vastly different reliability and user reputations. But I'm curious how the egg beaters ripped your legs apart? Were you not able to unclip or did you unclip at an inopportune moment?

2 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

Times and Egg beaters are totally different products with vastly different reliability and user reputations. But I'm curious how the egg beaters ripped your legs apart? Were you not able to unclip or did you unclip at an inopportune moment?

My guess: he was using the egg beaters to make cookie batter in Ed's Bowl.  Ed got mad and ripped his legs apart.

• Like 1

Too fast down Hill of Life. Front tire washed out (TMFB). Bike went left-ish, right foot left pedal and was first to contact the ground. This was about mid-way down. May 2008. Had my foot stayed, probably would've torn up right side in some manner, maybe smacked head, broke collar bone, ripped shoulder apart. Who knows?

Even when I've used the Eggs on the SS, still seems feet are about to come off at times. 

Edited by jcarneytx

1 hour ago, jcarneytx said:

Too fast down Hill of Life. Front tire washed out (TMFB). Bike went left-ish, right foot left pedal and was first to contact the ground. This was about mid-way down. May 2008. Had my foot stayed, probably would've torn up right side in some manner, maybe smacked head, broke collar bone, ripped shoulder apart. Who knows?

Even when I've used the Eggs on the SS, still seems feet are about to come off at times. 

pitch 'em in the bin. get some Times or Shimano SPD.

I have some Time XC2's that I was going to put on my urban bar bike. If you want to give them a try for a couple of rides you're welcome to borrow them, but I need 'em back pretty soon because the ones on that bike are about 10 years old and really need to be replaced. They're the cheap ones that I would not recommend them for hard core mountain biking.

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

I have some Time XC2's that I was going to put on my urban bar bike. If you want to give them a try for a couple of rides you're welcome to borrow them, but I need 'em back pretty soon because the ones on that bike are about 10 years old and really need to be replaced. They're the cheap ones that I would not recommend them for hard core mountain biking.

Thanks. Mostly just a thought, as I'm happy with SPDs. Just realized the ones I'm using now are 21 years old (old 520s, I believe, with the plate between the jaws). The Eggs were a set I bought to try out and just never got along with. Thought about putting them on road bike and use adapter on shoe. Just not done so, yet.