IGNORED

Put on some flats yesterday. Wasnt pretty

larlev

I watched that video and looked at a couple of other search results.

I just sold my Computrainer a couple of months ago, but it afforded me pedaling drills with data.   I wish I'd tried it with flats just for curiousity's sake.  

This page shows a picture of the Spinscan graphs:

http://www.pedpowerperformlab.com/PedalPower.html

Yeah, I'm good with whatever people want to use too.  I'd say I'm flat-curious but solidly in the clipless camp.

4 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I could see how you could be equal power/efficiency if the up-stroke is indeed a fallacy.  But I can't see how platforms could be more efficient.  

I would agree, but if one is more effiecient than the other, it's not enough that any of us would really benefit from it, no more than shaving legs, IMO. 

• Like 1

I was a fairly talented skateboarder in my youth and was comfortable just bailing and landing on my feet. Being clipped in was counterintuitive to this previous muscle memory and i needed to retrain myself to ride clipped in and attached to the bike. For me, I go back and forth to keep myself fresh and not too comfortable with one thing or the next. If im trying to learn something new, im learning, having to adapt/respond, and thats good for someone my age.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

I'm holding out until TDF riders start riding mountain bikes. Otherwise there's not much to compare between what they do and what I do. Apples and Oranges.

lol well you both ride bicycles so......

maybe green apples to red apples is more appropriate. 🙂

Edited by Seths Pool

Go to a bmx race and you'll notice most everyone in the intermediate and expert classes are clipped. They're a definite power advantage coming out of the gate and down the first straight. They also make it easier to keep you're feet on the pedals when bouncing through a steep and deep whoop section at warp speed.

5 minutes ago, JRA said:

Go to a bmx race and you'll notice most everyone in the intermediate and expert classes are clipped. They're a definite power advantage coming out of the gate and down the first straight. They also make it easier to keep you're feet on the pedals when bouncing through a steep and deep whoop section at warp speed.

id say the majority of pros/higher classes in almost all biking disciplines (road, XC, enduro, even downhill racing) (except trick disciplines) ride clipless. of course you have your exceptions like Sam Hill and stuff but as far as a numbers game clipless rules the roost. I could be wrong but I dont think I am

I wonder why

Edited by Seths Pool
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JRA said:

More a technical advantage for some riders than power as you describe it. Same reason toe clips were invented. But they didn't have 5Tens and pins on the flats back then either. There are certainly applications for either or both pedals. They are interchangeable in the realm of most common MTB applications and personal preference seems to be the most significant deciding factor, rather than some clear advantage of one over the other.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

id say the majority of pros/higher classes in almost all biking disciplines (road, XC, enduro, even downhill racing) (except trick disciplines) ride clipless. of course you have your exceptions like Sam Hill and stuff but as far as a numbers game clipless rules the roost. I could be wrong but I dont think I am

I wonder why

This is certainly my observation as well. 

11 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

I wonder why

Likewise, most mountain bikers (all riders) probably ride flats. Pondering upon the why works here too.

16 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

I wonder why

2 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

Likewise, most mountain bikers (all riders) probably ride flats. Pondering upon the why works here too.

I dont understand your response. what are you saying exactly? are you saying the opposite of what I said in that the majority of riders ride flats?

Most people who ride bicycles, even mountain bikers on trails, don't care about being "serious" enough to buy into fredly accoutrements like fancy shorts, special pedals, and power-measuring devices. They just buy a bike and ride it. People like us who are even familiar with the concept of watts as it applies to riding a bicycle are a tiny sliver of the population.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Most people who ride bicycles, even mountain bikers on trails, don't care about being "serious" enough to buy into fredly accoutrements like fancy shorts, special pedals, and power-measuring devices. They just buy a bike and ride it. People like us who are even familiar with the concept of watts as it applies to riding a bicycle are a tiny sliver of the population.

understood. but we know who we are talking about. not children, the elderly, and every day commuters or whatever. 

so what do you guys wanna debate about next?